Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  By continuing to use the forum you are agreeing to the updated Forum Rules. If you do not agree with the updated Forum Rules you may close your account.
  HomeHelpSearchMember MapLoginRegister ASSRA HomePage  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
In need of a new mold (Read 1754 times)
bpjack
Full Forum Member

East Olympia, WA, Washington, USA
In need of a new mold
Mar 10th, 2013 at 11:31pm

Just had John Taylor install a Ron Smith 32 cal gain twist bbl on my Ballard.  It has a standard 32-40 chamber according to John.  My heaviest bullet is a 185 gr (20-1) Hoch nose pour.  I was thinking of getting the Hoch schuetzen 205 gr mold that CPA sells.  Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Jack

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Oldtimer

Nightingale, California, California, USA
Re: In need of a new mold
Reply #1 - Mar 11th, 2013 at 12:53am

What pitch is your RKS barrel?

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

When in doubt, say it's
a sniper scope.

Quilcene, Washington, USA
Reply #2 - Mar 11th, 2013 at 2:10am

Chuck Bordman went on a 250 frenzy a couple years ago using a Saeco Pope tapered bullet. Weighs about two hundred grains.  Cast 25 - 1.  Chucks rifle has an eleven twist RKS gain twist barrel.  Chucks bullets shot like a house afire in my RKS fourteen gain twist barrel. First five shots on my sighter could be covered with a dime. Of course the wind piped up and ruined everything, as usual.

Joe.  Smiley

Proud Noodlehead.

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Central Point 97502, Oregon, USA
Reply #3 - Mar 11th, 2013 at 2:24am

The PJ 32001 is thee mold for a fast twist RKS barrel.

http://www.pauljonesmolds.com/32_caliber.htm

Frank

Offical ISSA Member #339
frnkeore frnkeore  
IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

When in doubt, say it's
a sniper scope.

Reply #4 - Mar 11th, 2013 at 2:34am

I think the Seaco mold is thee mold.  http://www.buffaloarms.com/Saeco_Bullet_Moulds_it-163746.aspx?CAT=4131

Especially for the price.

I have the PJ 32001 mold.  It works in cold weather in my RKS 14 gain twist barrel.  In hot weather leads easily. Also IMO it doesnt have enough taper. Seating pressure is heavy.
The Saeco will shoot just as good or better.
Sorry Frank, just a difference of opinion.

Joe.   Smiley

Proud Noodlehead.

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Mar 11th, 2013 at 3:16am

Joe, no offence taken. I'm a big advocate of long ogive spitzers. Personally I like the Ron Long designed spitzers best but, you can't get them any more. The last one he made for me was a 30 cal that comes to a complete sharp point. I don't know how he did it.

I agree about the taper but, it does seem to work VERY well in the 11 - 12 twist. You can get around the hard BSing with the throat. I know the 32 RKS doesn't have a throat but, either a freebore, long throat or both, will let you BS w/o much pressure at all.

Once it gets out of the barrel, it's got a big edge on all most, all other bullets. I wish I had a barrel to use it in. Smiley

Frank

Offical ISSA Member #339
frnkeore frnkeore  
IP Logged

40_Rod
ASSRA Journal Editor

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #6 - Mar 11th, 2013 at 9:23am

The Hoch 205 to 210 grains bullets should work fine and in fact have some advantages over some of the other molds mentioned.
  First it is a nose pour mold. There are 2 advantages to nose pour, first perfect bases nice and square with no sprue cut. Second if voids form they tend to form nearest to where the lead is poured from. With a nose pour they  tend to form near the end and be more centered giving less wobble than if the form on the base off center.
There are a downside to the Hochs You must run them a little hotter for best results and they can be a little harder to tune so they work properly. Once you learn how it is not a problem.

40 Rod

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Tune Your Rifle: Make
Her Sing

St. Albert, Alberta, Canada
Reply #7 - Mar 11th, 2013 at 4:34pm

Most people have been shootining 200-210 grain bullets in 14:1 twist RKS barrels and 225-240 grain bullets in 12:1 or 11.5:1 twist RKS barrels. Some have shot the heavy bullets in the 14:1 twist but you do need a tighter twist to properly shoot them.

I shoot a 235 grain Paul Jone spitzer in my 11.5:1 gain twist RKS barrel.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

When in doubt, say it's
a sniper scope.

Reply #8 - Mar 11th, 2013 at 6:39pm

I managed to make some high scores with the PJ bullet, scoring one 250.  14 twist is on the ragged edge of stability.  If I wanted to build a gun around the PJ bullet, would use the longer RKS casing based on the 357 Maximum or the 32/40 or for kix, the 8.15X46R.  The barrel would be RKS 11 twist. I feel the case capacity of the .32 Miller short is to small. Creates to much pressure causing gas cutting and leading in the bore. 

Joe.  Smiley

Proud Noodlehead.

IP Logged

catmasher
Junior Forum Member

utah, Utah, USA
Reply #9 - Mar 11th, 2013 at 7:04pm

I got a Pioneer nose pour 200 grain last fall and it shoots better than my favorite Ron Long pointed bullet like Franks mold. It shot light out at LV in Jan. I have about or had close to 25 molds in the last 4 years and this Pioneer is the tops. I like the Pioneer over the Hoch design.
32 miller 11.7 4100 R6 1/2

catmasher

IP Logged

bpjack
Full Forum Member

Reply #10 - Mar 11th, 2013 at 9:00pm

My barrel looks to be a 11.5 to 14 gain twist. 

Hey Joe.  I had that Saeco mold and 'cause it wouldn't stabilize in my old 16 twist barrel, you cut it down from 200 to 168 gr. for me.  Can you add back what you milled off.....Smiley

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Mar 11th, 2013 at 9:15pm

Jack,
You now just need to talk Joe out of that PJ that he doesn't like. Sounds like he'll sell it cheap Smiley

Frank

Offical ISSA Member #339
frnkeore frnkeore  
IP Logged

bpjack
Full Forum Member

Reply #12 - Mar 11th, 2013 at 11:36pm

Not a chance Frank,

Joe believes firmly that he who owns the most bullet molds controls the world.
I used to try to out bid him on ebay.  Never again!

Jack

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

When in doubt, say it's
a sniper scope.

Reply #13 - Mar 12th, 2013 at 4:02am

I thought you told me the contingency plan was to use the cut down mold for offhand shooting once you finally got a faster twist barrel. Isn't that what you told me, Jack?  Huh   I bet you didn't think I had a memory like that, did you?   Roll Eyes

By the way, I use the same bullet from a cut down Saeco mold in my 32/40 Helm 15 twist rifle for offhand. In load testing from the bench, the little bullet is capable of scoring 250s. 
We need to get together at Tacoma sometime for some load testing and bs.  I assume you are a member?

Joe.  Smiley

« Last Edit: Mar 12th, 2013 at 4:10am by westerner »  

Proud Noodlehead.

IP Logged

bpjack
Full Forum Member

Reply #14 - Mar 12th, 2013 at 3:57pm

Not a Tacoma member.  I am a member of Capitol City just south of Littlerock.  You shot at one of their so called BPC matches I believe.  They have improved the hi-power range and have a true 200yd instead of only 190.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print