Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  By continuing to use the forum you are agreeing to the updated Forum Rules. If you do not agree with the updated Forum Rules you may close your account.
  HomeHelpSearchMember MapLoginRegister ASSRA HomePage  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
1915 Stevens Favorite Extractor (Read 983 times)
shortdog

1915 Stevens Favorite Extractor
May 30th, 2013 at 9:04am

I have a 1915 Favorite that I picked up a couple of years ago at a local gun show.  It's pretty beat up and a little loose, but shot fine. Once it started misfiring and cartriges started getting stuck between the chamber and the extractor, I put it up.  It was a sad day.
    I've removed the lever, block and extractor this morning.  The lever and breech block screws are visibly worn and obviously need replacement.  What has me concerned is the extractor. I expected it to be worn, but was surprised when I compared it to the drawings on Wisner's site of Stevens extractors. Rather than the spring loaded extractor they show for the 1915, this one looks exactly like the intermediate type they show for the 1894. 
      The reciever is clearly marked "Model 1915" on the tang, with the Favorite trademark on the top surface of the reciever.  I know anything could have been done to this rifle in nearly a century of shooting and the many hands it has probably passsed through. I'm just not sure what I've got here.
     Does anyone know if an 1894 extractor would work in a 1915, or did they use that extractor at any point in this model?   Would I be safe to just order the spring loaded extractor listed for the 1915?  There is a recess underneath the barrel on the inside of the reciever that looks just right for the protruding front part of that extractor to ride in.

My apologies for the length of this.

IP Logged

WillH
Full Forum Member

Re: 1915 Stevens Favorite Extractor
Reply #1 - May 30th, 2013 at 9:47am

Stevens called the spring loaded "extractor" on the 1915 Favorite, an "ejector" as it was supposed to flip the hull clear of the gun as opposed to just pulling it out enough to get hold of. It's been my experience, in smithing a number of Favorites over the years, that the 1915 "ejector" is a pain to deal with.  The cartridge is apt to get ahead of the ejector arm and if not noticed, closing the action fires the round. Someone has evidently tried to solve this problem by installing an earlier "extractor".

Will

IP Logged

John Taylor
Oldtimer

Puyallup, WA, Washington, USA
Reply #2 - May 30th, 2013 at 10:27am

The extractors and ejectors from Wisner's are not cut for the cartridge and must be fit to each gun. If the lever screw is worn or bent then the extractor can slip past the rim. Also the hole in the extractor can be worn and let the extractor shift down enough to cause a problem. On the ejector the spring loaded plunger rides on the breach block screw and is common to have wear on the pivot hole because of the extra pressure. Cutting the new extractor/ejector to fit is best done on a milling machine. Do not use a chamber reamer, it will cut the chamber oversize.

John Taylor   Machinist/gunsmith
IP Logged

CaryT
Full Forum Member

Yelm, WA, USA
Reply #3 - May 30th, 2013 at 11:33am

John knows of what he speaks.  Here is my 'favorite' that John rebuilt including a new extractor.  I touch up blued and did the stock.  Remember no "high" or 'hyper velocity' stuff unless you want to do damage.

Cary

Resized_Favorite.jpg (128 KB | 83 )
Resized_Favorite.jpg

IP Logged

shortdog

Reply #4 - May 30th, 2013 at 1:23pm

The spring loaded ejector sounds like trouble.  Maybe I'd be best off to replace the one I have with another 1894 model and just replace the worn screws.  Thanks for your replies, guys.

IP Logged

WCFMetalsmith
Junior Forum Member

Chehalis Washington, USA
Reply #5 - May 31st, 2013 at 9:37am

On this one item I have to disagree with Mr. Taylor.

All of the 6 O'clock Favorite extractors from Wisners is machined for the shell rim. About and extra .010 is left to be fitted for the chamber diameter to be fitted, with the rim being cut about another .010" oversize as that is the hard part to machine.

All of the model 44 / 44 1/2 extractors that Mr. Taylor would buy from Wisners with the exception of the later # 8 ejector have no rim cut, so that is what I think he is confused with.

The one big issue is that the 1915 ejector body is .240 wide while the earlier ones are only .200 wide. That will be a big issue due to the side to side slop of the extractor vs the lever and breech block slots.

Wisners' is currently out fo the 6-9BC ejectors, but have the the replacement screws on hand.

WCFMetalsmith

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Westside, Washington, USA
Reply #6 - May 31st, 2013 at 6:01pm

Replace the worn lever screw before fitting your 1915 ejector.

If the 1915 ejector function bothers you, you can remove the plunger and spring from the ejector to allow it to act as a simple standard extractor.

You might ask Jim at Wisner's if he will send you the 1915 ejector without the plunger and spring, if that's how you prefer it.

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print