Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  By continuing to use the forum you are agreeing to the updated Forum Rules. If you do not agree with the updated Forum Rules you may close your account.
  HomeHelpSearchMember MapLoginRegister ASSRA HomePage  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
The Schuetzen Uniform (Read 3573 times)
Dr.Maynard
Frequent Elocutionist

Newcastle-on-Tyne, USA
The Schuetzen Uniform
Jul 2nd, 2013 at 6:55am

Does anyone of the schuetzen competitors know what constitutes the "schuetzen uniform" ?  The reference pertains to wearing apparel in use during the hey day of American schuetzen vereins.

C.M.M.

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
ASSRA Board Member

Berrien Springs, MI, USA
Re: The Schuetzen Uniform
Reply #1 - Jul 2nd, 2013 at 9:41am

There are existing photos that show rather elaborate "parade" uniforms.  They appear to be similar to Civil War military, post civil war militia, and fraternal organization uniforms with the addition of braid, plumes and their schuetzen chains and medals.

There are also a number of group photos of shooters posed at their ranges.  Most are wearing what we would call "business or business casual" clothing,  Dressier trousers, rather than jeans or overalls, band collar shirts, vests, and suit coats or jackets.  In the b/w photos it's hard to tell but it seems to me that the slacks and jackets, and often the vests match. though some vests are a lighter color  (A side note on vests:  I have read, somewhere, of normal-looking vests made especially for shooting stiffened with stays, buckram or leather for shooting for support)
    And they wore HATS, very few wore caps or kepies, and even fewer are shown bareheaded. The hats exhibit a wide range of style. The stereotypical bowler seems to be most common it is by a slim majority and there are lots of alternatives. I do not recall seeing any "cowboy" style hats

We have to remember that, while the "schuetzen" organizations were mostly an urban phenomena of the germanic sub-communities and their descendants, they attracted other shooters who enjoyed the sport and companionship (as well as the beer and the betting) who were from other cultural traditions. It also attracted fellow shooters from surrounding more rural areas and while the European origins of the sport were the middle-class urban germanic populations, in the US it was broader based.
As an organized shooting sport in an era where shooting sports ranked only below horse racing and boxing as "money sports" it attracted ALL sorts of shooters.  In various forms it spread across the country so I would imagine that one might see a slightly different "uniform" among the shooters in California, Texas, Colorado, Iowa, Wisconsin, or the New England cities

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
ASSRA Board Member

Berrien Springs, MI, USA
Reply #2 - Jul 2nd, 2013 at 10:23am

As an FYI I'm attaching a copy of a photo I recently took of another photo that shows a group of schuetzen--eers in what appears to be a more rural informal setting.  It was sent to someone, and then brought to Etna Green for viewing, by one of our fellow member /shooter /collectors in the St Louis Area. Hopefully it is destined for later publication with more information and much higher quality presentation.  I am assuming it is of one of the St Louis area clubs. There were a number of clubs in that area who practiced the schuetzen style shooting  {IE  200 yard offhand match shooting, typically practiced with single shot rifles.}

Note the neckties even on the youngsters.  I forgot to include neckties in previously describing shooting attire.

In this photo you will see on the lower right a Man/ Mann target and a ring-style target on the left side.  also in the photo are two very not traditional clock faces which must have had a significant role in their way of playing the game.  However no one I talked to has any idea what their function was----(note the numbers on the clock faces)

This is a marvelous picture of a more relaxed group of shooters.  It looks like a group most of us would be rather comfortable with.
I feel the actual original was a glass plate negative since there was still very high definition in the copy I photographed.
I did use Photoshop increase the contrast a slight amount to bring out detail in my copy of a copy, but otherwise it is unaltered.   Unfortunately the site's image-constraints for posting here have mandated a reduction in size and density

IP Logged

Kermit1945
Oldtimer

In Flux, USA
Reply #3 - Jul 2nd, 2013 at 1:06pm

Most "cowboy" hats are a 20th century thing.

I'm wondering if the "clocks" were used to show shooters and spectators where their last shot scored. No video cams then. Wink

These guys look like my grandfathers (both western farmers and ranchers) did for going to town and to picnics. We'd be considered slobs in today's range attire, and might even be politely shown the door.

"Speed's fine, but accuracy's final." Bill Jordan
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

IP Logged

RSW
Senior Forum Member

Scottsdale, Arizona, USA
Reply #4 - Jul 2nd, 2013 at 1:20pm

Here are a couple of vintage photos that I came across that might be more candid as opposed to the staged vintage photos of shooters in their finest apparel, we normally see.

schuetzen_shooters.jpg (357 KB | 104 )
schuetzen_shooters.jpg

Randy W
There are indeed two Americas. Simply put, it’s not the haves and have nots. The two Americans are in reality divided into those who do and those who don’t.
IP Logged

Dr.Maynard
Frequent Elocutionist

Newcastle-on-Tyne, USA
Reply #5 - Jul 2nd, 2013 at 1:34pm

DWS-- I really enjoyed reading and learning from what you posted above pertaining to, and in answer to, my initial inquire.

Additionally, I fully agree with you that the photo posted records a group of shooting enthusiasts that I would most certainly enjoy spending a day or two with in schuetzen competition.  I would hasten to add that they represent the epitome of men in a relaxed environment doing what they love to do best, i.e., schuetzen target shooting.

If you would, could you share a comment or two regarding the wearing of the "house-maide's apron" which is mentioned by Mr. Westergaard in his 1929 article which appeared in the The American Rifleman magazine.  I've posted a pdf file of that particular article in the event other readers may want to become familiar with it.

Thanks again DWS for this, and for your many other, quality contributions to the Forum readership.

Ref;  www.issa-schuetzen.org/history/westergaard-defining.pdf

Regards,

C.M.M.
« Last Edit: Jul 2nd, 2013 at 1:41pm by Dr.Maynard »  

IP Logged

Dr.Maynard
Frequent Elocutionist

Newcastle-on-Tyne, USA
Reply #6 - Jul 2nd, 2013 at 2:03pm

Quote:
Here are a couple of vintage photos that I came across that might be

Randy --
             Good Photos ---we have an acquaintance with an Amish family that complements their farm income by the wife/mother taking in sewing projects.  She has proven herself to be more than capable and it would be nothing for her to turn out a house maid's apron in a quality fabric such as "Carhart canvas", or better, washable, pre-shrunk heavy cotton.

They do not have a telephone, but I would like to run a copy of your photo to show her as a pattern for what is wanted.

I like the idea of having 2 or 3 front pockets for the de-re-capper, etc. etc., while doing "standing-up" true schuetzen style shooting.

C.M.M.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

When in doubt, say it's
a sniper scope.

Quilcene, Washington, USA
Reply #7 - Jul 2nd, 2013 at 2:53pm

Aprons look traditional and are very practical when shooting a schuetzen match.  Styles very similar to the ones in Randy's pictures are still available. I believe Carhartt makes an apron too. Still have a red shooting apron from one of the Coors matches at Golden.

Joe.  Smiley

Proud Noodlehead.

IP Logged

Walter  Matera
Senior Forum Member

SoCal, California, USA
Reply #8 - Jul 2nd, 2013 at 3:11pm

While the apron is certainly useful for holding the bullet seater and other accoutrements, I really like the image of shooting in shirt, tie, vest and pocket watch . . . thought I'm not sure about the straw boater!

OldSarge
www.thesportinggentry.com
Welcome to the Cyber-shire

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
ASSRA Board Member

Berrien Springs, MI, USA
Reply #9 - Jul 2nd, 2013 at 5:52pm

At matches I frequently wear an short bibbed shop apron I picked up at a local woodworkers supply to which I applied one of the ASSRA patches.   they are handy for offhand shooting but awkward of setting at the bench

Duluth Trading { I buy a lot of stuff from them}   has a great apron,  but make sure you don't get the "improved" one with the mesh pocket bottoms.  they are great for letting sawdust escape, but other small things too

www.duluthtrading.com/store/mens/mens-workshop/tool-bags-tool-belts/shop-aprons-...

everything I have bought from them is very solid old fashioned quality,  without a lot of "name-brand markup"   great value for the money.
« Last Edit: Jul 2nd, 2013 at 9:55pm by QuestionableMaynard8130 »  

IP Logged

45govt
Full Forum Member

San Jose, CA, California, USA
Reply #10 - Jul 2nd, 2013 at 6:03pm

Uniforms??

Schutzen_001.jpg (234 KB | 87 )
Schutzen_001.jpg
Schuetzen_3_001.jpg (389 KB | 83 )
Schuetzen_3_001.jpg
Schuetzen_2_001.jpg (357 KB | 87 )
Schuetzen_2_001.jpg
Schuetzen_1_001.jpg (362 KB | 80 )
Schuetzen_1_001.jpg
Schuetzen4_001.jpg (296 KB | 77 )
Schuetzen4_001.jpg

Thanks, Don

IP Logged

graduated peep
Oldtimer

Pennsylvania, USA
Reply #11 - Jul 2nd, 2013 at 6:16pm

Wonderful old photos all of them.
Just think of the stories behind those proud individuals !

Seems like whenever I get my ducks in a row, somebody comes along and shoots 'em.

IP Logged

Kermit1945
Oldtimer

In Flux, USA
Reply #12 - Jul 2nd, 2013 at 7:41pm

« Last Edit: Jul 2nd, 2013 at 7:53pm by Kermit1945 »  

"Speed's fine, but accuracy's final." Bill Jordan
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

IP Logged

MAD MIKE
Oldtimer

So Cal, California, USA
Reply #13 - Jul 3rd, 2013 at 1:38am

Most body shop suppliers carry heavy cotton aprons that are used by painters when machine rubbing a paint job.     ...MIKE...

IP Logged

Dr.Maynard
Frequent Elocutionist

Newcastle-on-Tyne, USA
Reply #14 - Jul 3rd, 2013 at 7:49am

I just wish I could get my mustache as well groomed as this gentleman has done with his.

www.assra.com/yabbfiles/Attachments/Schutzen_001.jpg

C.M.M.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print