Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Please visit the Announcements forum and read the updated Forum Rules.
  HomeHelpSearchMember MapLoginRegister ASSRA HomePage  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Gun Cases (Read 779 times)
Irascible
Full Forum Member

Pleasant Valley, New York, USA
Gun Cases
Jul 6th, 2013 at 12:45pm

I have a handfull of cheap plastic gun cases for transportation. I'm looking for a good one which will hold two rifles, double decker. One on top and one on bottom. I would prefer one which I could open from either side to get at one gun or the other, without taking the top one out to get to the second. Is there such a thing still available? I have seen one, but the guy didn't know who made it!

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Virginia, USA
Re: Gun Cases
Reply #1 - Jul 6th, 2013 at 12:54pm

Americase

http://www.americase.com/

Kalispell used to be the one to have but think they are out of business.

Boats

IP Logged

Walter  Matera
Senior Forum Member

SoCal, California, USA
Reply #2 - Jul 6th, 2013 at 12:58pm

Never heard of one like that.  I use a big aluminum box that opens like a suitcase exposing both guns on their foam pads in side.  I've also seen what are called trunk cases where you can open the top and pull up either gun from above.  The guns rest side by side so the case is shorter but thicker.  And of course there's always Tuffpak (http://www.nalpak.com/TuffpakSportCases).

OldSarge
www.thesportinggentry.com
Welcome to the Cyber-shire

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Virginia, USA
Reply #3 - Jul 6th, 2013 at 1:09pm

This guy claims to build the old Kalispel patterns

http://www.guncases.us/kalispel-gun-cases.html

Boats

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Southern NJ, USA
Reply #4 - Jul 6th, 2013 at 1:20pm

Recently purchased a Cabela's Armour Xtreme.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Armor-Xtreme-Molded-Double-Long-Gun-Hard-...
Thus far it has survived shipping coast-to-coast three times in good condition and was about $50 off, on sale.

IP Logged

deadwooddick
Full Forum Member

Deadwood, South Dakota, USA
Reply #5 - Jul 7th, 2013 at 12:56pm

SSShooter wrote on Jul 6th, 2013 at 1:20pm:
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Armor-Xtreme-Molded-Double-Long-Gun-Hard-...
Thus far it has survived shipping coast-to-coast three times in good condition and was about $50 off, on sale.

Interesting on how much it looks like a Pelican (which LEOs and the government uses). Price point to the Cabela's, but is the quality the same ? If something is "cheaper" what's changed ?

IP Logged

tbird1960
Full Forum Member

He shoulda armed himself.

Brazoria, Texas, Texas, USA
Reply #6 - Jul 7th, 2013 at 2:15pm

NRA Patron, Whittington Center Founders Club, Life Member TSRA, Life Member HGCA Distinguished Rifleman Badge #783

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Virginia, USA
Reply #7 - Jul 7th, 2013 at 5:12pm

I use the Pelicans for flying, checked baggage. To and from Australia half a dozen times few times Africa and back.  About as bullet proof as you can get, with a few reservations.  The latches can pop open, I used to duct tape them down, in fact they are made to duct tape size. Even Double padlocked on time somebody was able to cut the tape pry the cases up just a bit and scrounge around for whatever they could find. Ended up getting the bolt from a Remington 700 that had been removed due to airline regulations. Airline found the bolt and gave it back to me. I should have put the bolt in a separate box, removal requirement was a surprise to me at the time.

Trouble with the Pelicans is they are so big and heavy it's hard to even lift one full. CPA, Extra Barrel, External adjustment scope, Palm rest Iron sight in a box and a small box of spares and 2nd breech block whole thing weighs a lot. And won't fit in a car trunk without the seat folded down. SUV I run a chain through the locks and attach it to the folded down seat frame. Still carry it into hotels at night when traveling to matches.

Old Aluminum Kalispel is much lighter and the case I use most. It's just not as tough as the Pelicans. Lock is more secure due to the rod that runs through  4 hasp. Two guns in any case you need a porter to carry it for you.

Boats
« Last Edit: Jul 7th, 2013 at 5:46pm by boats »  

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Southern NJ, USA
Reply #8 - Jul 7th, 2013 at 6:05pm

deadwooddick wrote on Jul 7th, 2013 at 12:56pm:
SSShooter wrote on Jul 6th, 2013 at 1:20pm:

Interesting on how much it looks like a Pelican (which LEOs and the government uses). Price point to the Cabela's, but is the quality the same ? If something is "cheaper" what's changed ?

For sure it is not made by Cabela's and could well be a Pelican made for them. Can't go look at any details as it is with John Taylor for return shipment of my Hepburn. Can state that it is very heavy and weighs over 25# with the rifle in it and has nice, heavy hardware.

IP Logged

SchwartzStock
Senior Forum Member

Vail, Arizona, USA
Reply #9 - Jul 9th, 2013 at 12:26pm

While On active duty I had a couple of the pelicans break in transit. I now have (since 1998 or so) one of the 3-rifle trunk type cases. The only issue I have had with it is the wheels were quickly lost on a trip since they were not riveted to the case, just held by a clamping force of the brackets.

SS

If you fire one shot you know where your zero is, if you fire two shots you are uncertain, if you fire three shots you know how difficult it is to know where your zero is...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print