Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Please visit the Announcements forum and read the updated Forum Rules.
  HomeHelpSearchMember MapLoginRegister ASSRA HomePage  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Russ Weber v Plugged Case Breech Seater (Read 1041 times)
John Boy
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA #10288

New Jersey, New Jersey, USA
Russ Weber v Plugged Case Breech Seater
Oct 25th, 2013 at 4:15pm

I currently use plugged cases for the 32-40 in a CPA and 22LR (BP reloads) for any SS rifle. Next venture will be breech seated 45-70's in a '74 Sharps and '85 HiWall.
Which seater? Plugged Case or Russ Weber's or both?

Regards
John Corney

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Tune Your Rifle: Make
Her Sing

St. Albert, Alberta, Canada
Re: Russ Weber v Plugged Case Breech Seater
Reply #1 - Oct 25th, 2013 at 4:29pm

1. Weber seater holds bullet perfectly aligned when inserting into the rifle barrel. Plugged case does not.
2. Weber seater can be fine tuned for changes in weather/elevation condtions by increasing/decreasing chamber volumes (as opposed to adjusting powder load).
3. Plugged case is cheaper, but Weber seater when used to it's fullest potential is consideralbly more accurate in fine tuning your rifle.

However if you do not use the capability to fine tune your rifle by adjusting the chamber volume; or do not believe inserting the bullet with a slight kilter changes accuracy, then stick with the plugged case.

Also many plugged cases are not long enough to completely insert the bullet far enough to ensure the base band is completed sealed in the bore. The adjustable Weber seater can insert the bullets further than many plugged cases in use.

IP Logged

rkaires
Frequent Elocutionist

No Stronger Bond

LINY, New York, USA
Reply #2 - Oct 25th, 2013 at 6:08pm

I used a plugged case in my CPA for a while and had decent accuracy with my bullet/load combination. I started using a Weber seater a few months ago with the same load experienced a noticeable decrease in group sizes.

Its possible I was becoming more familiar with my rifle but I feel the accuracy improvement was do to using the Weber seater.  Everything else was the same when using the plugged case.

Bob

ASSRA #11031

Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
ASSRA Board Member

Berrien Springs, MI, USA
Reply #3 - Oct 25th, 2013 at 8:27pm

a plugged case, even one with an adjustable depth plug, relies on the camming action of the breech-block movement to force the plugged case and bullet into the throat of the chamber to the set depth.   on some actions this works really well, Stevens being one as I recall.  However Winchester and others, where the levered block moves perpendicular to the breech face of the chamber, generates very little camming action unless the top edge of the block is beveled. And even then it is seldom enough to seat a bullet full length into the throat.  thats why push. lever, cam, and toggle style mechanical seaters were developed.

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

bpjack
Full Forum Member

East Olympia, WA, Washington, USA
Reply #4 - Oct 25th, 2013 at 8:48pm

Here is my home made adjustable plug seater  the pencilcad drawing showing its components.  The photo of the case shows it extended to 2.42" when flush it is 2.15".   In my Ballard the tapered Saeco bullet can be almost thumb seated when flush so camming works fine.  Other bullets need the mechanical stirrup seater I use.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

When in doubt, say it's
a sniper scope.

Quilcene, Washington, USA
Reply #5 - Oct 25th, 2013 at 9:45pm

Plugged case or precision breech seater. I cant tell the difference. Not good enough at shooting groups. The breech seater with bullet held in a case, should be more accurate. Should.

Joe.

Proud Noodlehead.

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
ASSRA Board Member

Berrien Springs, MI, USA
Reply #6 - Oct 25th, 2013 at 10:09pm

a whole lot depends on the variables of chamber/throat and bullet design and the alloy. A bullet with a lot of forward bore rider surface and short fat groove-plus back end will seat easier than a complete nose to driving band taper where a bunch of ridges have to be forced into the rifling.   A harder alloy as often used for some high velocity loads requires a seater with good leverage and a longer handle---or a 4 pound hammer

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print