Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Please visit the Announcements forum and read the updated Forum Rules.
  HomeHelpSearchMember MapLoginRegister ASSRA HomePage  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Whitney rolling block questions (Read 1065 times)
jlwilliams

Whitney rolling block questions
Dec 31st, 2013 at 7:25am

I got myself a Whitney project for Christmas.  I got it off gunbroker knowing it was in rough shape.  I have a couple of questions about the function of this beast.

First question is; where can I find more information about this gun?  There isn't much online that I have found.  Is there a parts diagram floating around?  Any books I should be looking for?

This one is the early, split breach type (in 20ga).  The breach itself is broken.  I have emailed Dixie hoping to find a replacement.  If that doesn't pan out, maybe I can get it TIGed up.

The locking roller is really sloppy when the action is closed. It also doesn't roll all the way back when you pull the hammer (thus it was sold as having the breach stuck shut, the seller hadn't figured out why it wouldn't open)  It has what seems to be a shim screwed onto it. Is that how they came, or is that an added on piece? (again, a parts diagram would be a big help)  It seems to close up tighter when I roll it further up by hand, but when I close the action as usual it's got a good 1/16" slop between the breach and the chamber.  Is that how these were used?  Or is that an effect of the sloppiness of the parts in this example?

The gun is in overall poor aesthetic shape.  It looks like someone took a vice grip to the barrel in several places.  The receiver itself seems sound.  The pins fit well and both have unbroken ears.  It really looks to me like if I can get a breach block or fix this one, I will be able to make a functional gun out of it.  I don't think I'd go as far as rebarreling or lining it to a BP cartridge.  I'd be more inclined to  get a box of 20ga brass hulls and load them up.  Just keep it like the old sod-buster's critter-gitter that it likely was.

Any advice, guidance, and most especially pictures you can give me is welcome.

IP Logged

JSB30
Full Forum Member

Missouri, Missouri, USA
Re: Whitney rolling block questions
Reply #1 - Dec 31st, 2013 at 9:50am

Frank de Haas Single Shot Rifles and Actions page157.  If you like single shots spend $100 and buy one, very much worth it.

IP Logged

harry_eales
Frequent Elocutionist

Aw heck, vegetable stew,
AGAIN.

County Durham, Great Britain
Reply #2 - Dec 31st, 2013 at 4:55pm

I agree with JSB30. As far as I am aware Frank DeHaas's book is the only one that does an exploded view. Not that that is particularly brilliant, as many photographs don't reproduce well on plain paper,  but it's better than nothing.  Roll Eyes

Harry

IP Logged

jlwilliams

Reply #3 - Jan 1st, 2014 at 10:52am

Thanks.  I probably won't jup on buying it this month, but I should get it.

Dixie doesn't have a breach.  That's a bump in the road, but not the end of the road.......

IP Logged

jfeldman
Senior Forum Member

Imperial Beach, Ca, USA
Reply #4 - Jan 1st, 2014 at 10:08pm

jlwilliams, found a parts diagram in de Hass' book. Hope it helps.
Regards, Joe

img003_002.jpg (130 KB | )
img003_002.jpg

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #5 - Jan 2nd, 2014 at 11:46am

Not to derail this thread, but when did DeHaas' book go so crazy high? I better take better care of my copy!

IP Logged

Paul_F.
Oldtimer

Eureka, CA, California, USA
Reply #6 - Jan 2nd, 2014 at 11:58am

JSB30 wrote on Dec 31st, 2013 at 9:50am:
Frank de Haas Single Shot Rifles and Actions page157. If you like single shots spend $100 and buy one, very much worth it.

Tell ya what...
I'll buy one of these copies for $30-60, and sell it to you for $90. Whadya say? Smiley

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?an=Frank+de+Haas&sts=t&tn=Single+S...

You CAN find reasonably priced copies... they're just getting a little rarer now that they're all out of print.

IP Logged

majorfs45
Junior Forum Member

Stillwater, OK, USA
Reply #7 - Jan 2nd, 2014 at 4:57pm

There was an article I think in this last year in Single Shot Exchange about the Whitney.  I will have to look through my old magazines and see if it is there or not.  Pretty good article about Whitney and the development of the Whitney rolling block.

IP Logged

majorfs45
Junior Forum Member

Stillwater, OK, USA
Reply #8 - Jan 2nd, 2014 at 8:44pm

The article on "Whitney, the other rolling block" is in the June issue of 2012 of The Single Shot Exchange.

http://singleshotexchange.com/back-issues-of-the-single-s.html

IP Logged

majorfs45
Junior Forum Member

Stillwater, OK, USA
Reply #9 - Jan 2nd, 2014 at 8:48pm

You can see if they have any back issues.  I think you will enjoy the read!

IP Logged

majorfs45
Junior Forum Member

Stillwater, OK, USA
Reply #10 - Jan 3rd, 2014 at 9:45am

I found my copy of the magazine, send me an email and I will scan it and forward the article to you if you wish. I think this was the last article William Roth, Jr. had in the magazine before his passing away.   The article shows 3 diagrams of the Whitney rolling block action.  The Laidley & Emery, Type I, Patent May 15, 1906, E. Whitney & F. Tiesing, Type II, Patented July  16, 1872 and then a third cut away diagram a little more clear.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print