Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Front sight inserts (Read 4015 times)
leadball
Oldtimer

Front sight inserts
Feb 3rd, 2005 at 9:00pm
Print Post  
Front sight inserts that are beveled-- as are most plastic inserts--which is the proper way to install--with the bevel towards the eye or away from the eye.   
     This is a stupid question to ask at my age --but I have never known which is proper.       leadball

IP Logged

MI-shooter

Re: Front sight inserts
Reply #1 - Feb 3rd, 2005 at 10:05pm
Print Post  
I put the bevel towards my eye. Can't explain why, I just do.

Ed

IP Logged

40_Rod
ASSRA Journal Editor

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #2 - Feb 4th, 2005 at 9:21am
Print Post  
I always thought that the bevel went away from the eye to give the sharpest edge. To me the edge looked better when faced away but that may just be me. To tell the truth I never knew either so I stuck it in both ways and went with what looked better to me.

40 Rod

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Feb 4th, 2005 at 9:46am
Print Post  
Leadball,

The only beveled plastic front sights I'm familiar are on my FWB air rifle and the outside of the ring is stepped to fit in a similar recess in the tunnel so it can only be put in one way. With that said the bevel is toward the muzzle. That would put the sharp edge toward the shooter.

PETE

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Feb 4th, 2005 at 4:49pm
Print Post  
The sharp edge should be toward the eye. Pete's particular inserts will not allow him to do it wrong  Grin. the whole idea is to have as much contrast as possible between the "edge" and what is beyond - that means "sharp edge next to the eye".

Dale53

IP Logged

leadball
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Feb 4th, 2005 at 9:14pm
Print Post  
dale53 & gang;  Thanks for the reply to my question.
                      PS--what is the purpose of the recess --maybe to provide more light to the target.   leadball

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Feb 5th, 2005 at 12:38am
Print Post  
Leadball;
If what you mean by "recess". the bevel:
The plastic insert has the thickness necessary to maintain strength in the insert ( really thin would be too fragile for decent life). However, being relatively thick, would create a problem if the hole was bored straight through. Light would reflect into the interior of the hole and reduce contrast between the insert and the aiming bull. The beveled edge creates an extremely thin ring visually to get the maximum contrast between the insert and the aiming bull. This, of course, increases the precision of aim possible and hopefully leads to higher scores.

FWIW
Dale53

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint