Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Lube-sizer heater (Read 5555 times)
sakoman
Senior Forum Member

Lube-sizer heater
Aug 15th, 2006 at 10:06pm
Print Post  
Is anyone aware of aftermarket heaters for the Lyman 450 lube-sizer?

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"

Re: Lube-sizer heater
Reply #1 - Aug 15th, 2006 at 11:33pm
Print Post  
At last check, Lyman sells their heater for the 450 as a separate item...that way you know you have one that will work with their lubri-sizer!  Wink

Froggie

IP Logged

Mike65

Reply #2 - Aug 16th, 2006 at 9:27am
Print Post  
Try Midway item # 182761, $39.49.
Mike

We are seldom as smart as we think nor as dumb as others believe.

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Sep 4th, 2006 at 12:47am
Print Post  
It is easy to become confused with the Lyman sizers. The 450 is the older unit that will NOT work with the tube heater that works with the 4500 sizer.

However, Lyman has a "flat plate" sizer that bolts to your bench and the sizer bolts to the "flat plate" sizer that contains a heating element. I have one and it works just fine. It has no adjustment, just off and on. I may add a reostat to my unit in the near future (I'm not fond of having to plug and unplug to try to maintain the heat level desired for a particular lube). Good unit tho' and it works well (  110V Item #2745885
220V  Item #2745888 --Lyman part numbers).

Dale53

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Sep 5th, 2006 at 4:48pm
Print Post  
It's a cheap dodge but I have had good luck heating my old Lyman lubrasizer with a hand held heat gun.  It just needs to get warmed up when stored in a cold shop.  If the lube starts to get stiff a quick shot with the gun will get things flowing again.

Not as good as a dedicated heater but no more than I lubrasize works OK

Boats

IP Logged

montana_charlie

Reply #5 - Sep 5th, 2006 at 9:37pm
Print Post  
If you care to try your hand at building one that is easy and cheap...read this.  (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
CM

Retired...twice.  Now, just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Sep 7th, 2006 at 11:00am
Print Post  
A relatively easy and inexpensive way (but a bit bulky) is to have a flat plate of aluminum drilled and tapped for the lube sizer. Have it extend out the rear of the sizer and of sufficient size to support an electric iron (like your wife uses to iron your shirts but purchased from a thrift store for nearly nothing). It is thermostatically controlled and the heat range is adequate.

The iron heats the aluminum and it transfers the heat to the lube sizer. If, somewhere down the road it quits, you just trot on down to the thrift store and buy another...

FWIW
Dale53

IP Logged

montana_charlie

Reply #7 - Sep 7th, 2006 at 12:48pm
Print Post  
I built this thing months ago, but just got around to taking a picture...

Reloading is my hobby...not my vocation...so my reloading bench is a small-but-efficient 48 by 16 inch arrangement in the corner of my den.
When I decided to add a lubrisizer, I had a small area available on the right end that accomodates the little Lyman #45.

Too short of space for either the 'iron' or Lyman 'universal' heater, I re-engineered a coffee cup warmer that has an On/Off switch, power light, and a Hi/Lo switch.  New-in-the-package, it cost about six bucks on eBay.

I cut away half of the circular case, leaving the controls unchanged, and routed the 'heating wire' and it's leads out the left side of the remainder of the case.  This was screwed down to a 'base' which is just a piece of aluminum sheet that also extends to the left, under the Lyman #45.

The heating wire was re-bent (from a circle) into a fat 'Y' shape (to make it all fit under the foot of the sizer) and sandwiched between two small squares of 1/4 inch aluminum plate...in a groove routed out to accomodate the wire.

This sandwich, with the Lyman #45 on top, was mounted on four fiber spacers (so heat goes up into the sizer instead of down into the sheet metal)...on the left end of the aluminum 'base' that holds the 'control panel'.

Heatsink compound in the groove for the heater wire, and between the sandwich and sizer, allows this unit to heat a Lyman #45 up to about 110 degrees (on Hi)...if you are patient.  I turn it on a couple of hours before I plan to do some lubing.

I was concerned about 'too much' heat.  SPG (for instance) is supposed to melt at 135°.  Garbe recommends using a heater (or pan lubing) for his SPG if you plan to shoot in hot weather, as the lube gets on the bullet with a more 'durable' consistency.
But, this unit never gets 'too hot'.  I have left it on Lo (in a 70 degree room) for two full days without problems, and it draws very little juice.
CM
« Last Edit: Sep 7th, 2006 at 5:39pm by montana_charlie »  

Retired...twice.  Now, just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint