Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic "Best" bullet for twist in Pedersolli 50? (Read 2263 times)
Slowpoke Slim

"Best" bullet for twist in Pedersolli 50?
Aug 31st, 2006 at 9:22am
Print Post  
New member with another question,

I have a Pedersolli Quigley 50/70 (see gunsmithing thread for ?) that hopefully will soon be a 50/90. OK, now the question, the barrel is a 1-26" twist heavy octagon. What would be the "best" bullet for that twist?

I've seen some formulas running around to calculate it, but when you use "bullet length", exactly how are you getting the length of the bullet? Is it the "true" OAL of the projectile (bullet), or are you only measuring the length of the bearing surface (base to front driving band) of the bullet on the rifling? I would think the nose length wouldn't matter and that it's just the bearing surface area you measure, but I'm unsure?

Could someone help me stumble out of the dark, my head hurts. Also could someone post (sorry) the formula here, too.

I'm thinking around 650-675-700 grain range for the 1-26" twist, but I'm just guesstimating it.

Thank you.

IP Logged

Brent
Frequent Elocutionist

When lead is in the air,
hope is in my heart ~MWH

Re: "Best" bullet for twist in Pedersolli 50?
Reply #1 - Aug 31st, 2006 at 9:34am
Print Post  
Poke,
There are a bunch of formula's.  I've collected a few and worked them into an Excel spreadsheet.  If you send me your email, I can send you the sheet so you can play on your own.

But plugging into any of them with an estimated velocity of 1250 fps gives a length of 1.238-1.286.  (using a constant of 125 for the Greenhill).

Brent

When lead is in the air, hope is in my heart ~MWH
IP Logged

Slowpoke Slim

Reply #2 - Sep 1st, 2006 at 8:42am
Print Post  
Brent,

Exactly how do I take the measurement of the bullet? Do I measure the lenth of the whole bullet, from base to nose, or do I only measure the length of the driving band area (the area "engaged" by the rifling) of the bullet?

Thanks.

IP Logged

Brent
Frequent Elocutionist

When lead is in the air,
hope is in my heart ~MWH

Reply #3 - Sep 1st, 2006 at 8:58am
Print Post  
Yup,
Measure the whole thing.  Remember this is just an approximation too.  The formulas give you ballpark ideas of what will work.  They are not precise at all. 

For example, some of the methods use velocity in their estimator (Greenhill does not), and my experience is that velocity matters - just not a whole lot.  However, they all predict more or less the same thing.

Brent

When lead is in the air, hope is in my heart ~MWH
IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Frequent Elocutionist

NRA Life since '76

Reply #4 - Sep 1st, 2006 at 5:14pm
Print Post  
To give a qualified answer to your initial question, the BPCR guys I know who shoot Pedersoli 50s have recommended bullets in the 650 gr range, as you thought. I understand that Paul Jones makes a good mould for that weight bullet, also Steve Brooks is well-known for his good BPCR moulds. Of course there are other great mould makers around, these two are just the ones I happen to know about that make the type mould you're seeking.

Paul Jones = 323-262-1510
Steve Brooks = 406-782-5114
Good luck, Joe

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a U.S. soldier!

IP Logged

Bad_Ass_Wallace

Reply #5 - Sep 4th, 2006 at 6:36am
Print Post  
I have a 650gn Paul Jones mould for my 50/90 "Boss Gun". Cast 1:30 it weight 648.7gn and shoots very accurately. Load is 105gn Wano FG.

My 50/70 "Long Range" lacks the powder capacity to shoot the same bullet so I load it with the 450gn Lyman.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Hold still varmint; while I plugs yer!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint