Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) .32-35 Stevens/Maynard (Read 10541 times)
marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

.32-35 Stevens/Maynard
Jan 4th, 2007 at 12:23am
Print Post  
Just picked up a Stevens Premier Tip Up #8 in .32-35, and was wondering if anyone reloads for this caliber? I see C&H4D sells dies for $72, but wondered if the .32-40 dies could be used to make up rounds, if I don't full length resize?
I'd like to work up some loads and see how it shoots before setting out full bore to reload for it.
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: .32-35 Stevens/Maynard
Reply #1 - Jan 4th, 2007 at 8:51pm
Print Post  
Marlinguy,

Very nice specimen, looks like an early one with that ladder rear sight.

I have a Stevens #107 in .32-35.  I am able to shoot it without special dies by resizing .30-30 brass in my .32-40 die and cutting off to a length of 1.9".  There is enough taper left to grip the bullet if I want to load it with fixed ammunition, which is mostly what I do.  However, the barrel groove diameter of my rifle is 0.319" instead of the 0.311" that is cited in most reference books.

Another poster on another thread (sorry, can't remember who it was any more but a search of ".32-35" ought to find it) said his Maynard would only chamber shells that had thinning at the base or the rims, but my Stevens digests the shells reformed as above without a problem.

I use a 165-grain .319" bullet ahead of 11 gr of 4759 or 12 gr of 4198.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #2 - Jan 4th, 2007 at 8:58pm
Print Post  
Thanks to both of you! Yes, it does seem to be a very early variation. I haven't slugged the bore yet, but I'll try the shortened cases as soon as I can slug it, and figure out what size bullet to use.
Sure appreciate your help guys!
Vall

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"

Reply #3 - Jan 5th, 2007 at 7:58am
Print Post  
MARLINguy,  (??)

Winchesters, Stevens, oh the humanity of it all!  What are your Ballards going to think?   Grin  Nice find, my friend.  I imagine that little .32 will be a joy to shoot.  

All the best,
Froggie

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #4 - Jan 7th, 2007 at 8:10pm
Print Post  
Yes Froggy! There is a bit of conflict in the safe. Left the door open and somehow the little Stevens was laying on the gun room floor when I came back! Wink Guess I need another safe for the Stevens family, especially the little guys that can't hold their own! Smiley

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Frequent Elocutionist

NRA Life since '76

Reply #5 - Jan 7th, 2007 at 8:20pm
Print Post  
I too believe in segregation for the Stevens family. (Or might it be 'ilk'?) AAMOF I usually segregate 'em right on over into someone else's safe ASAP! (VBG)

But I gotta admit that's a mighty nice-looking rifle. We don't see things like that down in this part of the country very often.
Regards, Joe

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a U.S. soldier!

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #6 - Jan 8th, 2007 at 4:41pm
Print Post  
Not here either Joe! And I'm sorta fickle, so I tend to grab onto shiny objects, regardless of maker! Wink

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #7 - Jan 8th, 2007 at 4:43pm
Print Post  
Bent_Ramrod wrote on Jan 4th, 2007 at 8:51pm:
Marlinguy,

Very nice specimen, looks like an early one with that ladder rear sight.

I have a Stevens #107 in .32-35.  I am able to shoot it without special dies by resizing .30-30 brass in my .32-40 die and cutting off to a length of 1.9".  There is enough taper left to grip the bullet if I want to load it with fixed ammunition, which is mostly what I do.  However, the barrel groove diameter of my rifle is 0.319" instead of the 0.311" that is cited in most reference books.

Another poster on another thread (sorry, can't remember who it was any more but a search of ".32-35" ought to find it) said his Maynard would only chamber shells that had thinning at the base or the rims, but my Stevens digests the shells reformed as above without a problem.

I use a 165-grain .319" bullet ahead of 11 gr of 4759 or 12 gr of 4198.

I think this one is gonna need that "thinning towards the base too. The shells stop short of chambering about 3/16".

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Jan 8th, 2007 at 5:26pm
Print Post  
Hey Marlinguy, I'm surprised the poor little thing wasn't laying bruised and whimpering in the corner after those big old Pacifics got through with it.  Those guys can be real bullies sometimes!!   Wink

I had virtually the same rifle in its .22 rimfire iteration, but without the fore end.  It had the same ladder rear sight, and the front was a floppy globe whose aperture would change when fired.  It came to me with a horrendous bore and minus the whole latch assembly, but otherwise it looked really nice (especially the wood) so I had it relined and the latch reproduced and it turned out pretty nice.  But then something else shiny attracted my attention and...  Roll Eyes

Froggie

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Jan 8th, 2007 at 11:28pm
Print Post  
Luck of the draw, Marlinguy Undecided.  Old rifles are a law unto themselves.  Is the barrel a .311"?

3/16" isn't much.  Spinning a case with a drill or lathe and touching the base with a fine Swiss file until it fits in the chamber ought to give you 20 cases without a huge outlay of work.  Section one with a hacksaw to make sure you have enough wall thickness.  The rest will last forever if you breechseat the bullets and only de- and recap.

The .32-35 was one of the first cartridges acknowledged as being capable of really "gilt-edged" accuracy.  Please let us know how yours shoots.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #10 - Jan 9th, 2007 at 11:20pm
Print Post  
The bore slugs to .318", and is in very nice shape. I'll use my mold for the .32-40/ 170 gr. in this one hopefully.

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Jan 10th, 2007 at 9:14am
Print Post  
Hey Vall, if it comes to that, I believe I have an old Lyman sizing die in .318 kicking around here somewhere.  If you decide you need to reduce a bullet a little, drop me a PM and I'll gladly loan it to you...I went through a phase of thinking I needed all of those dies above and below nominal diameter for my .32-40s and this is some of the result.  I may still have the little 155 gr bullet mould for it as well (if I didn't trade it to singleshot) so if the 165 proves too heavy/long, maybe that would work.  Stay in touch.

Froggie

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #12 - Jan 10th, 2007 at 8:51pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the kind offer Charlie! A couple years ago an oldtimer brought a whole box of Lyman lubrisizers into our local collectors show, and sold me the bunch for $25! I've got lubrisizers in more sizes than I ever dreamed of owning!

IP Logged

joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Jan 22nd, 2007 at 3:42am
Print Post  
I have a #16 Maynard in 32/35, and use a Hoch mold bullet that tapers from .3085" to .3194" over 6 bands. I breech seat with a plugged case, the loaded case goes around the bullet which ain't all the way in. 12/IMR4227, (12.5 = ~1400 fps) bell the case mouth, 2 1/2 or WLP. Has Irons only, shoots very well from the bench or offhand.
I make cases by FL sizing 30/30 or 32/40 in 32/40 die, then FL sizing with a piece of steel on the shell holder so it pushes the case all the way into the sizing die. Drive it out with a Lee loader 30 cal punch. Then in a vice with pieces of steel and an old socket with a simple die that squeezes the base down.  It takes me a day to make 50 cases, haven't done it in a few years. I think I'd buy cases now although I worry about the brass that's removed. My die squeezes the primer pocket smaller so it has to be opened up. I've got ~52 cases that will last a lifetime or more.
I'll lend you the die if you wish, send your address.
joe brennan

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #14 - Jan 22nd, 2007 at 8:31pm
Print Post  
Thanks Joe! I think I've got it under control by spinning them in my lathe and just hitting them with a file to remove about .020" from the last 1/4" of the body. I'm also going to try taking an old .32-40 sizing die I have and cutting about .25" off the length, then run it down on a case until it just chambers. I think that will also work, but may cause primer pocket problems.
I love experimenting! I could just buy the dies, but it wouldn't be near as much fun!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint