Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Production Molds (Read 3044 times)
boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Production Molds
Jan 21st, 2007 at 10:01am
Print Post  
The Pope auto ejecting post got me to thinking.  For years I cast for .30 cals and pratice bullets for my 38/55 from factory 2 cavity base pour molds.  Pretty good results too.

When I started with Schuetzen I went to a real nice nose pour single cavity 32 custom mold. It produces a very good bullet but compared to the double cavity base pours is very slow in procuction.  I have a 38 cal nose pour too which is faster no doubt due to it's larger size but still much slower than the double cavitys.

I find it intresting Pope would have made a production mold since he was so devoted to accucacry.  I never shoot bench, all offhand and need fairly large quanitys of bullets. I would sure like to have a qualty mold cut for my chamber and breech seating that could turn out more bullets at a session. Since what you read about Popes personal shooting it seems he had the same situation and perhaps why he developed something like the auto ejector. 

Anyone ever order a multiple cavity or base pour from one of the custom mold makers ?

Boats

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Production Molds
Reply #1 - Jan 21st, 2007 at 10:02am
Print Post  
Sorry guys Hit the send button too fast. What I ment was Pope seems to have been a offhand shooter. I never hear about him shooting bench rest.

Boats

IP Logged

joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jan 22nd, 2007 at 3:54am
Print Post  
I think that Pope bench rested all or most of his barrels before returning them, there are references in "Sincerely Yours, H. M. Pope". Of course he designed and sold machine rests.
As to your problem or question about the molds, why not just use a Lyman 375248 mold, I don't know if they come in 2 cavity, but my SC  made bullets that shot just fine in my Winchester High side. I cast good bullets MUCH faster from a smaller Lyman mold than from any of the big custom molds I have. I think that the custom molds are bigger than they need to be, and dump heat too fast. Sometime in the past there was an article in the ?Journal about trimming a lot of the metal off of a Hoch mold and casting much faster. I love those older little single cavity Lyman molds, and can cast about 100 good bullets, weighed and inspected, an hour with them. That's as fast as I can cast. With the custom molds, 50 or fewer bullets an hour is my speed.
joe brennan

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jan 22nd, 2007 at 2:33pm
Print Post  
Joe problem is it's not cut for my leade and probably not going to breech seat.

While I don't have direct experence with factory molds in the 32/40 none of my factory molds in 38/55 will breach seat.

Boats

IP Logged

Quarter_Bore
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #4 - Jan 22nd, 2007 at 6:05pm
Print Post  
I agree. What we need is a mold maker willing to make up new old Ideal 1 piece molds with new cavities. Those old molds will really throw the bullets compared to modern molds. Shucks maybe someone could even attempt a Pope mold.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

Emperor of the Noodleheads.

Reply #5 - Jan 22nd, 2007 at 8:20pm
Print Post  
I'll second that!    Joe.

If a waffle falls over on a breakfast table and no one is there to hear it, did the waffle make a sound?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint