Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Rimmed case haeadspace adjustment (Read 2436 times)
ten-mile

Rimmed case haeadspace adjustment
Aug 3rd, 2008 at 8:03pm
Print Post  
If you have a rifle with too much headspace and it is chambered for a rimmed case, this technique may be useful to you.  I have a 40-70 Remington and the rim thickness is greater than than the 45-90s I use to make cases.  I made a die with a counterbore that has a depth equal to the required change in rim thickness. (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
Use an arbor or hydraulic press to push the head into the die.  A finished rim looks like this: (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

I add about 0.010" with the die shown.

IP Logged

hst
Oldtimer

Re: Rimmed case haeadspace adjustment
Reply #1 - Aug 5th, 2008 at 12:47am
Print Post  
Mr. ten-mile:

What are you using for a punch? Are you pushing on the inside of the case?

Glenn

IP Logged

ten-mile

Reply #2 - Aug 5th, 2008 at 7:30am
Print Post  
Make a punch that fits inside the case and is as large as possible.  For the 45-90 case, I happened to have a large dowel pin that I reshaped.

IP Logged

cheatin_charlie

Reply #3 - Apr 14th, 2019 at 11:28am
Print Post  
Do you have to make a shell holder to fit the reshaped brass?

IP Logged

RemFan
Junior Forum Member

Reply #4 - Apr 14th, 2019 at 1:36pm
Print Post  
Are you just using a flat end punch?

IP Logged

Marlene

Reply #5 - Apr 14th, 2019 at 1:41pm
Print Post  
Neat!!

IP Logged

KFW
Senior Forum Member

Reply #6 - Apr 14th, 2019 at 5:25pm
Print Post  
i am wondering if you loose primer pocket depth by this type of swaging? maybe that could work for using pistol primers without paper shims, hmmm?

IP Logged

rgchristensen
Oldtimer

Reply #7 - Apr 14th, 2019 at 7:13pm
Print Post  
     I have tried this without success - do the case heads need to be annealed?    I was using similar dies in a heavy RCBS press, trying to move the rims on .348 Win cases.   Do I need an arbor press or hydraulic press?

CHRIS
RGChristensen

IP Logged

joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Apr 15th, 2019 at 6:47am
Print Post  
ADJUSTING HEADSPACE ON RIMMED CARTRIDGES

With an empty cartridge case in the chamber the breechblock should not have any looseness; it shouldn’t move at all when you grab it and try to move it back and forth. A loose breechblock means excess headspace and poor ignition-we would expect vertical stringing of shots on the target.

If you are unable to get a rifle with a loose breechblock to shoot well, there is an easy way to test if the looseness/excess headspace is the culprit. Peen the outside edge of the case rim forward, effectively making the rim thicker. Put the case in a sizing die, hold the die in your hand, and lightly tap all around the outside rim of the case with a steel hammer. You just want to move enough rim brass forward to tighten up the fit. Try the case frequently in the rifle. If you don’t have a sizing die, just hold the case in your hand and tap the rim with the hammer.
     Shoot the rifle with this case. If the accuracy improves, either make and use more of these cases or have a competent gunsmith correct the breechblock fit.

IP Logged

joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Apr 15th, 2019 at 7:12am
Print Post  
PICTURE

IP Logged

ten-mile

Reply #10 - Apr 15th, 2019 at 8:19am
Print Post  
I used a hydraulic press to do this.  I don't think a regular reloading press has the oomph to do it.  JoeB's method is certainly good if you just need a few cases and everyone has a hammer.  What I would add to his method would be to use the decapping rod as a stop pin once I knew how much I had to peen the rim.

IP Logged

joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Apr 15th, 2019 at 11:01am
Print Post  
With a bottle necked case, and about any tapered case, the fired case will headspace on the shoulder or taper. This with "full charges". With low velocity charges, the fired cases will/may have the primer sticking out a bit. The primer acts as a piston, the primer pocket as the cylinder. To eliminate this, and keep the headspace to shoulder/taper, lightly oil the cases. An oily rag works.
Back in my Contender days, this is how cases headspaced on the rim were actually headspaced on the shoulder. 30 Herret and 444 Marlin examples. Also 30-30.
Rim headspace sorta means nothing/very little.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint