Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Ben Shelor RIP (Read 5732 times)
MI-shooter
Forum Mod

Ben Shelor RIP
Sep 24th, 2009 at 12:25pm
Print Post  
Some of you may know or remember Ben from this forum. He went by Tar Baby at one time and Phoenix another time. Anyway, I just got this email from his wife that Ben had passed away Tuesday. Ben had recently suffered a stroke and while in the hospital, had several more that in the end were fatal. Although I never met the man in person, he and I struck up an internet friendship for the past few years partly due to our mutual interest in collecting martinis. Several times, we swapped and bought things from each other and a couple of times Ben just sent me an odd martini part he found lying around his place. Many days we shared phone conversations about guns, shooting and life in general.

Ben had an odd way of looking at life to some and could be misread by some but he was everybit a good person. He will be missed by many.

My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends. Some day we will meet and it will likely be on the banks by a slow moving stream looking for some turtles to take a pot shot at. God speed my friend.

Ed

Ben A. Shelor, 68, of Newtown, VA left this world on Tuesday, September 22, 2009. He was the son of the late Fredrick Lynn and Mary Simmons Shelor of Sandston, VA. He was a beloved husband and Father, he is survived by his wife, Virginia (Biddie) Walker Shelor;  children, Jennifer Travis Shelor, of Midlothian, VA, and Forrest Lynn Shelor of Richmond, VA.; brother, Fredrick McIver Shelor of Chesterfield, VA. Ben will be remembered as a renowned craftsman of custom knives, a talented firearms engraver, an outdoor sportsman and a true friend. He not only followed his own drumbeat, he marched to his own band, and will be sorely missed. Friends are invited to join family at his home Sunday, October 4, 2009 from 2pm to 5pm to celebrate his life. Memorial contributions may be made to the Upper King & Queen Rescue Squad, P.O. Box 154, Newtown, VA. 23126, or to the Upper King & Queen Fire Department, P.O. Box 5, Newtown VA. 23126
« Last Edit: Sep 24th, 2009 at 12:42pm by MI-shooter »  

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
ASSRA Board Member

Re: Ben Shelor RIP
Reply #1 - Sep 24th, 2009 at 2:23pm
Print Post  
I know that Ben jerked a few folks tails and chains a bit now and again here in the ASSRA site; However I always enjoyed his input.  I think sometimes I can hear the drums and bands he marched to myself

indeed RIP Ben
My thoughts and pryers go out for his family and friends 

He will be missed

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

OLReliable

Reply #2 - Sep 24th, 2009 at 3:01pm
Print Post  
Ben was truly a Good man who made me smile and let me think about what was really important in life. Safe Journey, my friend.

Gary

OLR
wyyyyyyy iiiyyyyyy awwwttta ......

IP Logged

harry_eales
Frequent Elocutionist

Aw heck, vegetable stew,
AGAIN.

Reply #3 - Sep 24th, 2009 at 4:17pm
Print Post  
Sad news indeed, I only knew Ben through various firearms 'Forums' and Emails. We are all deminished by the loss of a fellow enthusiast.

My sincere condolences to his family and friends.

Harry

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Sep 24th, 2009 at 5:08pm
Print Post  
Sad news indeed,  I met Ben through the forum and had the pleasure of meeting him in person. We  talked single shots often on the phone Had wondered why he did not call for so long when Whitey gave me the news he was sick.

He will be missed

Boats

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Sep 24th, 2009 at 10:16pm
Print Post  
Too bad about Ben. He made me laugh and wonder. 

Joe.

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Sep 24th, 2009 at 10:53pm
Print Post  
I hate losing a friend.  Ben was a man who enjoyed life on his terms, full throttle, full flavor, nothing spared, and few compromises.  Friends and well made toys were his delight. 

Sometimes it takes a very complex man to be simple.  Once you got to know him, you could hear his laugh and see the thought that went into the brevity of his posts on the internet.  Sometimes it said the most when he was like his icon, the tarbaby, and he "jus sat der an sed nuttin".  Sometimes he just had to call up ask if I had seen a particular thread, and tell me what the nuttin had kept him from saying.

He will be missed.

dave

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

Mike Echo Oscar Whiskey

Reply #7 - Sep 24th, 2009 at 11:06pm
Print Post  
I never met him, but talked with him on the phone once, bought a shootin' iron from him before that and thoroughly enjoyed his approach to life!

SOMEONE has to fill his shoes now - he played a needed role in keeping folks straight! 

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

tim_s
Oldtimer

Reply #8 - Sep 25th, 2009 at 10:57am
Print Post  
I always enjoyed his information. Far too young.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #9 - Sep 25th, 2009 at 6:28pm
Print Post  
Whether it was on the phone, or through an email, Ben made me laugh. The world was a better place because of Ben, and a little less with his departure.
I'm proud to call Ben a good friend.-Vall

Vall
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

4570sharpshooter
Junior Forum Member

Reply #10 - Sep 26th, 2009 at 1:41pm
Print Post  
Ben Shelor aka Tar Baby will be missed for his take on life in general. He was a engraver with a special talent for his creations. On his may trips on his acreage(on patrol) he did encounter turtles and other creatures of nature. He had a knack for putting everyday situations in perspective. I think everyone who perused the For Sale items has seen the marble top table that he used for a backdrop for his for sale items. Patrol on my friend .  4570SS

Keep yer eye on the target son.....

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Sep 26th, 2009 at 2:43pm
Print Post  
Never met the gentleman, nor spoke with or corresponded with him...but I looked forward to seeing his take on the discussions.  Don't know if it's appropriate for him...prolly not...but I've said Kaddish for Ben.

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Sep 26th, 2009 at 10:16pm
Print Post  
Bens table top.  He told me once he had more offers to buy his turtle shell and the do nothing machine than the rifles that were on it.

I told him I liked the machine also, and he offered to send it to me.  He said he had been given it by a friend, and appreciated it for the memories.  I told him I couldn't take it, and he told me he would send it to me when he died.  I told him to consider it already done, I had seen the picture of it.

Thursday, when I saw this post, I went out to the shop to think about Ben, and worked on an appropriate project to complete his generous offer.

Ben, thanks for the machine.  It works amazingly well, my littlest one has run it several hours already in the last 2 days!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

dave

IP Logged

Brozbows
Junior Forum Member

Reply #13 - Sep 29th, 2009 at 7:34pm
Print Post  
Sad news indeed.

Ben was an interesting cat. Generous beyond all get out; he sold me a beautiful old Lyman sizer plus 3 or 4 dies for $20 a few years ago that he had "sitting around".

He will be missed.

Darryl

IP Logged

Brion Boyles

Reply #14 - Sep 5th, 2017 at 2:44pm
Print Post  
Ben was a good friend, a real man whom I took an instant liking to. I just learned of his passing and sit hear thinking about him. He was an inveterate tinkerer with little tiny model train steam locomotives, a hobby which we shared... and we always traded parts for his collection of "little fellers". I laff to myself now, thinking of his great big hands working on those little locomotives that no one else wanted...He would visit me often in my backyard shop at home and a little hobby shop in Woodbridge, VA, bringing some venison he'd hunted in his backyard... and we'd chat at length, telling stories and swapping lies. "I reckon I don't make too much of m'self" was a saying of his, a tongue-in-cheek salute to humility...but he was a GREAT craftsman and a big ol' bear of a friend. I miss him dearly....Adios, Amigo...remember to wave at me from the cab of your engine as you pass by.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint