Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Electric Hot Plate For Melting Lead (Read 17411 times)
stebbinsgr

Electric Hot Plate For Melting Lead
Oct 27th, 2009 at 3:00pm
Print Post  
I have a new 20 lb capacity pot for melting lead.  Has anyone found a good inexpensive single burner hot plate that works well for this purpose?

Yes, I know I can melt lead on the kitchen stove.  But the boss lady really doesn't appreciate that.

Gary
Ft Wayne, IN

Gary
Fort Wayne, Indiana
ASSRA #10396
NRA Life Member
LTC, FA, US Army Retired
DAV Life Member
Disabled Veteran

IP Logged

Fred Boulton
Oldtimer

Re: Electric Hot Plate For Melting Lead
Reply #1 - Oct 27th, 2009 at 3:32pm
Print Post  
They used to be readily available. I bought one in 1985 and used it regularly until last year when it finally expired. I searched Ebay and found an identical one of the same age but unused and in its original packing. I'm back in business again!
Fred.

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Oct 27th, 2009 at 8:05pm
Print Post  
Would a propane camping stove also work?

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #3 - Oct 27th, 2009 at 8:25pm
Print Post  
slumlord44 wrote on Oct 27th, 2009 at 8:05pm:

They work well.  Temperature control is not as even, but they heat fast.  I used a Coleman 1950 for years with a 1 Qt aluminum saucepan.  I know better now.  Something about gasoline and molten lead and the AL pot (melting temp is LOW).

You have to ventilate the gas/propane heat sources too.

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

John J
Junior Forum Member

Reply #4 - Oct 27th, 2009 at 8:45pm
Print Post  
well I have to agree with your boss lady on this one...kitchen NOT a good place to melt/mix lead

been there done that way back when i was just starting to cast pistol bullets...mother didn't realy mind much..but

one day she came home from work and says your melting lead again aren't you...then she comes up the stairs and i say yep...but iv made a bit of a mess

now picture this...75lbs molten WWs in the pot and I'm adding more...string with a sauce ladle and removing the clips.....dropping more weights in and string...then all of a sudden.....BOOOOOM....(i suspect a ww with water around the clip just vaporises)..i flinch moving away from the pot while still holding on to the ladle..pulling the ladle full of lead out of the pot and all over the floor......now do you know just how long you have to wait till it cools off so you can pick it up off the floor

when i go over and visit with my dad....I'm reminded of it...cuzzzz there still the big burn mark i made

so unless your boss lady is as forgiving as my mom was...i wouldn't use the stove

John J

IP Logged

Doug_Nelson

Reply #5 - Oct 27th, 2009 at 10:10pm
Print Post  
slumlord44 wrote on Oct 27th, 2009 at 8:05pm:

Buffalo Arms sells a propane unit: (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
Doug

IP Logged

digitall423
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Oct 28th, 2009 at 5:45am
Print Post  
Harbor Freight used to sell a neat little cast iron single burner propane cooker rather cheap. Had two and three burner models also.  Northern Tool has them too, I believe.

IP Logged

digitall423
Oldtimer

Reply #7 - Oct 28th, 2009 at 5:47am
Print Post  
The Harbor Freight unit is zackly like the Buffalo Arms one.

IP Logged

Dave
Senior Forum Member

Reply #8 - Oct 28th, 2009 at 6:36am
Print Post  
Cabelas sells cheapo made in China cast iron propane units that work well.  As I recall they come in one, two and three burner units.  I bought a two burner a few years ago for my fortified compound (hunting shack) in New Mexico.  It has worked well and held up fine.  I think it was about 35 bucks plus the hose and regulator.  I have been thinking about getting another two burner for casting in the garage.  I have been having a hard time getting and keeping my mold hot enough (it is cold in the garage and I am slow) so the second burner would be helpful.  If you have gas in the garage the propane orfice can be modified to run off natural gas too.

Dave

IP Logged

stebbinsgr

Reply #9 - Oct 28th, 2009 at 7:19am
Print Post  
I want to stay away from using propane.  I realize it's faster for melting lead, but, you also need good ventilation.  If I am casting bullets in the garage I have to take ventilation into consideration.

I am eventually going to buy a Lyman Mag Dipper furnace.  But at $230 I am going to wait a little while.  The 20 lb capacity iron pot I have and electric hot plate will have to work for now.  I do have a side burner On my gas grill on the patio I could use, but, I don't see me casting bullets on the patio when the temperature outside is 20 degrees.

Thanks,

Gary
Fort Wayne, IN

Gary
Fort Wayne, Indiana
ASSRA #10396
NRA Life Member
LTC, FA, US Army Retired
DAV Life Member
Disabled Veteran

IP Logged

Jeff_Schultz
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #10 - Oct 28th, 2009 at 2:23pm
Print Post  
Why not get a Lee 20# pot? Will work much better than a hot plate and they're only about $60.

"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo

“There is no situation so bad that it cannot be made worse."

IP Logged

alemonkey

Reply #11 - Oct 28th, 2009 at 9:30pm
Print Post  
I brew beer as my other hobby (hence the name) and I use my brewing setup to melt lead.  I have twin 175,000 BTU propane burners.  They'll boil 15 gallons each of water in nothing flat.  They're pretty much sufficient for bullet casting Shocked

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Oct 29th, 2009 at 7:48am
Print Post  
My Lee pot was a nusiance always clogging and steel is so thin cleaning the pot cut right through.

I have a rolling steel table for my propane ship oven with top mounted lead pot.  Roll it outside the shop door when casting. My 2 cents worth propane is much better than the electric pots, capacity, how hot it will get, etc.  However ventalation is real important and any lead casting ought to be done outside.

One thing to consider is there are two kinds of propane regulators. Black like on a Barbque grill is low preassure. Red ones are high preassure. I run a red one with a valve beside the regulator. Keep it cut back to not a lot more preassure than a regular valve for most casting but able to crank up to melt and warm up.

Use the same tank hose valve and regulator on a different burner for Fish Fying & cooking.

Boats

Boats

IP Logged

40_Rod
ASSRA Journal Editor

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #13 - Oct 29th, 2009 at 8:16am
Print Post  
Stebbinsgr
If what you want is an expensive lead pot that will last you 2 or 3 years than by all means get a Lyman or RCBS. If you want a dipper pot that will last you the rest of your life get one of the pots that Bill Ferguson is selling. They are like the one I bought from Rapine 15 years ago and mine still works like new.

40 Rod

IP Logged

bnice
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Oct 29th, 2009 at 4:51pm
Print Post  
turkey fryer works great with a old cast iron dutch oven or a forgot about stainless pressure cooker. All this for making ingots (alloy) which I then use in my 20lb pot.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint