Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) powder measure (Read 10748 times)
Cali Kidd
Junior Forum Member

powder measure
Nov 1st, 2009 at 2:11pm
Print Post  
Hi all, Time to get a new powder measure right now I'm using an old lyman 55. I'm looking for something that throws consistantly. What would be a good choice?
Once again thank's  in advance.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: powder measure
Reply #1 - Nov 1st, 2009 at 3:06pm
Print Post  
Wish just one would do but

Breech seating with 4227 or any ball type powder Harrells can't be beat. Not the best for Stick powders or Black

Black Powder Belding and Mull,  No longer in production but half a dozen for sale most times on Ebay.   The B&M takes some time to get used too, does not work like other measures, but is consistent and gives perhaps the best throws of all.  It will work well with stick powders like IMR 4759 etc too.  MVA makes a upgraded version of the B&M design that ought to be the one to have given the quality product they generally turn out.

Real light charges of fast pistol powder the fixed rotor types like Bonanza work best.

Boats

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Nov 1st, 2009 at 4:54pm
Print Post  
For large charges I use a Redding 3BR, for small charges, such as in my Schuetzen rifles, I use a Redding 10X.  I've owned Lyman, RCBS, Pacific and Herter's measures, and also an old Belding & Mull, and I really prefer the Reddings for quality and consistency.

David

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Nov 2nd, 2009 at 5:40am
Print Post  
With ball powders such as A#9, and small particle powders such as IMR4227, the Lyman 55 is about as consistent as any measure, including Harrell.
With stick and sticky powders such as SR4759, no measure throws charges consistently.
We did a comprehensive, long and somewhat boring test of an array of powder measures, the test is in the book.

CAST BULLETS FOR BEGINNER AND EXPERT

The Second Edition is at the site address below, in FILES, free.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
joe b.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Nov 2nd, 2009 at 7:48am
Print Post  
Joe

Have to disagree on the Stick powders the B&M throws very consistent.  While I have owned a Lyman 55 for a long time I can't recommend it to anyone.  Re-setting is difficult, has too many sliding bars, the fit and finish of the castings is rough and screws have a tendency to back out in use causing creeping charge variation

Advantage to Harrells is not the consistency of charges which frankly I have never tested.   It's the repeatable clicks.  When breech seating in a match I set the measure from my notebook and can click up and down as required without referring to a scale.  I know of no other measure that can run without check weighing.   

Boats

IP Logged

40_Rod
ASSRA Journal Editor

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #5 - Nov 2nd, 2009 at 8:26am
Print Post  
I have to agree with Boats on both measures. The Harrell is an excellent measure and Linwood Harrell is one of the best people to do business with in the shooting world. 
If using 4759 I agree the best way to measure it is a B&M measure. It has to do with the size of the measuring chamber the way most powder measures metering chamber works the chamber is to small for the large sticks to settle reliably every time. This is true until you get up to about 38-55 size loads from there on the metering chamber is large enough to let the large sticks fall in and pack down the same giving you a reliable drop. The B&M drops directly into a measured loading tube giving you a wider area for the long stick to settle in to. Still for calibers under 38-55 I recommend 4227 or ball powders. 

40 Rod

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"

Reply #6 - Nov 2nd, 2009 at 8:43am
Print Post  
OK, I've been biting my tongue here, but the best solution I have ever found for consistent (volumetric) measurement of the infamous stick 4759 powder is the old and relatively unknown Ideal #5 Micrometer measure.  It throws as consistently at the bench as about anything I can find, and being all iron and brass (unlike the later #55 with its plastic reservoir) it is also useful for all manner of other duties like black powder, etc.  I find it just a little less repeatable than the Harrell, but this is primarily a function of the fact that I am getting too far sighted to read the lines in the micrometer and there are no clicks.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!  Cool

Froggie

IP Logged

joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Nov 2nd, 2009 at 9:04am
Print Post  
boats wrote on Nov 2nd, 2009 at 7:48am:
Joe

Have to disagree on the Stick powders the B&M throws very consistent.  While I have owned a Lyman 55 for a long time I can't recommend it to anyone.  Re-setting is difficult, has too many sliding bars, the fit and finish of the castings is rough and screws have a tendency to back out in use causing creeping charge variation

Advantage to Harrells is not the consistency of charges which frankly I have never tested.   It's the repeatable clicks.  When breech seating in a match I set the measure from my notebook and can click up and down as required without referring to a scale.  I know of no other measure that can run without check weighing.  

Boats

A review of the test results on the site, in the book, will show you what the consistency is of each of the tested measures.

The Harrell's measure is nice, impressive, draws attention, costs an insane amount of money, is no more consistent than many other measures; and anyone who sets a measure for smokeless powder without a scale is looking to get a finger like mine. EVERY shooter, EVERY time, should weigh EVERY setup charge. Should look in EVERY case with a light. Should check 2 charges against a doubled scale setting, = if the charge is 14 grains, throw 2 and weigh the 2 looking for a weight of 28 grains.
Lyman 55s are easy to use, consistent, reliable, and relatively cheap. They've been around for a while, and I'm betting, will be around for a long time. I've never had a screw back out. A micrometer adjustable measure offers some advantages, but look at the test and see about the micrometer problems.
joe b. 

IP Logged

joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Nov 2nd, 2009 at 9:11am
Print Post  
Let me make this short and sweet.
SR4759 and other powders "bridge".
No measure throws SR4759 or other big stick powders consistently enough for most shooters.
B&M measures do a good job. However, for those of us who've chosen to get old and have strokes. the moving of the tube from measure to funnel is a challenge. I've managed to throw a tube of powder over 9 feet when my tremor is operating nicely.
I agree about the 38 caliber cutoff. I was taught that below 38, IMR4227; above 38, SR4759, at 38, either-all for best accuracy.
joe b. 

40_Rod wrote on Nov 2nd, 2009 at 8:26am:
I have to agree with Boats on both measures. The Harrell is an excellent measure and Linwood Harrell is one of the best people to do business with in the shooting world. 
If using 4759 I agree the best way to measure it is a B&M measure. It has to do with the size of the measuring chamber the way most powder measures metering chamber works the chamber is to small for the large sticks to settle reliably every time. This is true until you get up to about 38-55 size loads from there on the metering chamber is large enough to let the large sticks fall in and pack down the same giving you a reliable drop. The B&M drops directly into a measured loading tube giving you a wider area for the long stick to settle in to. Still for calibers under 38-55 I recommend 4227 or ball powders. 

40 Rod

IP Logged

joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Nov 2nd, 2009 at 9:17am
Print Post  
I've been throwing black powder charges with a 55 with plastic tube reservoir since 1960, and haven't managed to blow it up yet. 
There's nobody more safety-conscious than I, but I never learned of the static danger until relatively recently. Upon learning of it, a loud buzzing started; and every time I read or hear another reference, the buzzing sounds. What makes that noise?
joe b.

Green_Frog wrote on Nov 2nd, 2009 at 8:43am:
OK, I've been biting my tongue here, but the best solution I have ever found for consistent (volumetric) measurement of the infamous stick 4759 powder is the old and relatively unknown Ideal #5 Micrometer measure.  It throws as consistently at the bench as about anything I can find, and being all iron and brass (unlike the later #55 with its plastic reservoir) it is also useful for all manner of other duties like black powder, etc.  I find it just a little less repeatable than the Harrell, but this is primarily a function of the fact that I am getting too far sighted to read the lines in the micrometer and there are no clicks.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!  Cool

Froggie

IP Logged

screwloosetc
Oldtimer

Reply #10 - Nov 2nd, 2009 at 11:58am
Print Post  
I'm still in the stone age. I have both a lyman 55 ad an original b&m and am still using Lee dippers. leave cases primer up in loading block to avoid double charges. If it's upright it has powder in it. When u get the feel for it charges will be exact. I tag the dipper with my loading info. Calibre,powder and bullet.adjustments never change.
Tom

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Nov 2nd, 2009 at 2:02pm
Print Post  
Joe

Have not read your test, I might be surprised to find my B&M measure does not in fact work well with 4759, but would rather go on my experience that it does work very well.

On not weighing, go to a match were we are breech seating and nobody is weighing charges.  Scale will not work worth a darn on a shaky bench with wind blowing.  I do have a table of charges for different click settings all weighed & double checked in advance and logged in my range notebook.   

Most important thing when it comes to at the shooting bench measuring of powder is the advice Screwloose gave, put the case in your loading block primer up.  My block is bored not to accept 32/40 or 38/55 cases primer down. When the charge is thrown it has to go in the gun.

Froggy agree on the old vs new #55's.  I just rebuilt mine with some old parts bought as junk, Body and reservoir mostly and now it's another measure entirely. Fit of the barrel in the body is much better,  New ones are not good performers,

Anyway it's a personal choice and that's mine

Boats

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #12 - Nov 2nd, 2009 at 2:38pm
Print Post  
I have a dozen or more powder measures. The Redding 3BR and the Ideal # 5 micrometer measures are the two I use most. The worst measure I have is the RCBS. 

Joe.

If a waffle falls over on a breakfast table and no one is there to hear it, did the waffle make a sound?

IP Logged

Fritz
Oldtimer

Reply #13 - Nov 2nd, 2009 at 6:22pm
Print Post  
Always use my Harrel measure for H-110/AA#9,and my Belding&Mull when shooting IMR4759--works best for me,Fritz

YIM  
IP Logged

irish66
Oldtimer

Reply #14 - Nov 2nd, 2009 at 6:54pm
Print Post  
I happen to have a B&M with an aluminum hopper, and charge tube
one time offer to cali kid if he wants it. and yes i sent him and email.
irish

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint