Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Varner Tang sights ? (Read 5829 times)
Brudford01

Varner Tang sights ?
May 4th, 2011 at 2:40pm
Print Post  
Need a tang site for my Uberti 1885 Low Wall . Marbles are back ordered and none are available in the country . Called Marbles in MI.
Stated they are trying to make them as fast as possible ? Lyman's
are not windage adjustable therfore are worthless . Saw a sight for sale in the Midway catalog for a peep tang sight made by Varner ? Any experience with them ?

IP Logged

40_Rod
ASSRA Journal Editor

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Re: Varner Tang sights ?
Reply #1 - May 4th, 2011 at 3:48pm
Print Post  
I took a look at them on the Midway page, let's say I'm not impressed. They look kinda like a Marbles but clunky. Why not go to Red River, the old Parts Unknown and get one of their sights. They have a couple with windage and they put out a quality product for the money.

40 Rod

IP Logged

doubs43
Junior Forum Member

Reply #2 - May 5th, 2011 at 1:07am
Print Post  
Check Lee Shaver Economy Long Range Soule Vernier sights. There is a model specifically made for the Uberti High Wall that includes the correct mounting screws. A friend has one and it's a decent sight for the money... about $225. It's infinitely better than the post type tang sights unless your purpose is hunting game and you don't require the fine adjustments of a Vernier.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #3 - May 5th, 2011 at 11:59am
Print Post  
Or get these, he's not too proud of them. Only making $2740 profit on them! Wink
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

Emperor of the Noodleheads.

Reply #4 - May 5th, 2011 at 1:24pm
Print Post  
Varner?   Who, what?   

I have an original Winchester long range sight I'll let go for 1250.00.    Cheesy

I saw one of those Lyman tang sights once. It was junky and cheap. It flopped left and right.  The owner thought it was fabulous. Then he started fixing it but some parts fell out and he couldnt get it back together and asked me to help. I said no.  Sometimes it's best to just say NO.

Joe.  Smiley

If a waffle falls over on a breakfast table and no one is there to hear it, did the waffle make a sound?

IP Logged

Fred Boulton
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - May 5th, 2011 at 2:46pm
Print Post  
The Lyman tang sight is popular for gallery rifle shooting with Lever Actions here in the UK. The modern ones are junk. If you can find an original at a reasonable price, they are very well made and do not flop about. My old '92 Winchester has a front sight which can be moved side to side in its dovetail and is locked by a grub screw, so windage is not an issue. I haven't needed to adjust it for over 20 years.
Fred

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

Emperor of the Noodleheads.

Reply #6 - May 5th, 2011 at 3:15pm
Print Post  
The one I was referring to is the new one.  The old ones are excellent for sure. I have one somewhere. Came on a hiwall.

Should sell that sight.  What are they worth?

Joe..

If a waffle falls over on a breakfast table and no one is there to hear it, did the waffle make a sound?

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - May 5th, 2011 at 3:18pm
Print Post  
Like Fred Says the original Lyman's are fine sights as are Marbles.  New made ones are not nearly as good.  I am buying another MVA for a Marlin 38/40 now. 130 series MVA is about 100 dollars more than a Marbles or new Lyman and about the same price as a good used Old Lyman. 225 if you don't get the screw or windage it does have a vernier .275 I think for the Windage adjustable sight.  Far better sight than any of the big name factory jobs.  I like and use windage adjustable sights for mid range 200 plus but tell the truth  to 100 yards in offhand matches  I never adjust my windage and don't want it on my sight.

Going cheap is not a good thing to do with sights. It controls every shot you make

Boats

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint