Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Cerosafe Instructions? (Read 8326 times)
.22-5-40
Oldtimer

Cerosafe Instructions?
Feb 22nd, 2012 at 1:03am
Print Post  
Hello, everyone.  Sorry for all the questions..concerning cerosafe..I have only used the stuff once..about 20 years ago, grinding room had small electric pot of this & I used it to keep track of progress when lapping out moulds..sprue plate removed, just tapped hinge & seemed to fall out.  But a two piece mould is not the same as a rifle chamber.  I seem to recall reading of it expanding right after solidifiying & one should wait before trying to remove?  Is this true?  Should chamber be clean & dry?  thank you!

IP Logged

John Boy
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA #10288 (Paid Feb
2021 - 2 Yrs)

Re: Cerosafe Instructions?
Reply #1 - Feb 22nd, 2012 at 8:19am
Print Post  
Go to Roto Metal's website.  They explain everything you want to know in detail, including % of shrinkage over time

Then copy and save their writeup.  You'll never have to ask any questions about CerroSafe again

Regards
John
IP Logged

Procrustes
Junior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Feb 22nd, 2012 at 9:05am
Print Post  

If you have a "take down" model rifle, it makes pouring a chamber cast quite a bit easier if you remove your barrel first.

Also, I recommend that you do a muzzel end cast of about 1 1/2" in length in order for you to know those dimensions as well.

Roto-metals casting material is priced better than what Brownells offers.   Good luck.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Feb 22nd, 2012 at 2:49pm
Print Post  
Be careful of the extractor and it is best to remove it if doing a cast with barrel on the action.

Get a little in and around the extractor and good luck on getting it out thus the caution.

J.Louis

IP Logged

.22-5-40
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Feb 22nd, 2012 at 5:00pm
Print Post  
Thanks everyone!

IP Logged

xausa
Junior Forum Member

Reply #5 - Feb 23rd, 2012 at 5:39pm
Print Post  
.22-5-40 wrote on Feb 22nd, 2012 at 1:03am:
Hello, everyone.    I seem to recall reading of it expanding right after solidifiying & one should wait before trying to remove?  Is this true?  Should chamber be clean & dry?  thank you!

Basic Instructions:

•Plug the bore immediately ahead of the throat of the chamber using a small cleaning patch.

•Pour the alloy directly into the chamber until full and allow it to cool, it will turn a shiny silver color. As soon as it has cooled enough that it is no longer a liquid (and doesn't present a burn hazard), remove it from the chamber. Take care not to overfill the chamber as the alloy will then run into the locking lug area, making removal extremely difficult.

•During the first 30 minutes of cooling cerrosafe shrinks. At the end of one hour it should be "exactly" chamber size.

Notes

•Melts between 158 and 190 degrees Fahrenheit

•Should be melted in a clean iron ladle without direct flame on the product.

•The chamber being cast should be cleaned thoroughly and a thin coat of oil or graphite applied.

•Reusable

IP Logged

John Boy
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA #10288 (Paid Feb
2021 - 2 Yrs)

Reply #6 - Feb 23rd, 2012 at 8:33pm
Print Post  
Quote:
•Plug the bore immediately ahead of the throat of the chamber using a small cleaning patch.

Plug the bore about an inch after the leading bore cut with packed hard toilet paper.  This way, you'll have the initial bore - leade and full chamber

Regards
John
IP Logged

eplexus
Junior Forum Member

Reply #7 - Feb 23rd, 2012 at 9:39pm
Print Post  
I've used the Rotometals product several times now and always have a heck of time getting the cast out. Doesn't matter how long I wait.

I've had the best success in removing the cast by putting a light coat of oil in the chamber. Plumbers putty makes a good dam to keep the liquid metal contained. I make the dam tall enough so that the cast stands a 1/2" or so above the breach. This way I can use pliers to give the end a twist, without ruining the chamber part of the cast.

Make sure to warm the barrel a bit before making the cast.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Feb 24th, 2012 at 8:30am
Print Post  
Cerrosafe will melt with the heat produced by a Heat gun.  Mine is a ordinary two speed Craftsman nothing special.   Metal only no wood, heat gun won't get the gun hot enough to harm metal finish but will melt out any spilled Cerrosafe.

Take the stock off, it will blister wood finish in a second

Boats

IP Logged

KAF
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #9 - Feb 24th, 2012 at 8:52am
Print Post  
Cerrosafe shrinks during the first 30 minutes of cooling and then at the end of an hour, is EXACTLY chamber size. At the end of 200 hours it will have expanded approximately .0025". This factor is well known by all toolmakers and they will take it into consideration when making dies or reamers or gauges from your cast - if you will tell them the cast is of Cerrosafe. Cerrosafe melts between 158° - 190° F. It should be melted in a clean, iron ladle. Source of heat should be removed as soon as the alloy is completely melted, at which time it is ready to pour. The solidified casting should be removed from the chamber before, or when, it cools to room temperature. If allowed to remain in the mold over an hour, it will grip the chamber walls and be difficult to remove. Clean the chamber of the rifle thoroughly, then plug the bore immediately ahead of the throat with a small rag - but not so tightly it cannot be driven out. If possible, pour the molten Cerrosafe through a small tube into the bottom of the cast, gradually removing the tube as the chamber fills. If the barrel is cold, warm it to room temperature or above before making the cast. When cooled, remove from chamber, using a rod or dowel from the muzzle end of the gun.

Keith L 3240

IP Logged

John Boy
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA #10288 (Paid Feb
2021 - 2 Yrs)

Reply #10 - Feb 24th, 2012 at 10:18am
Print Post  
Quote:
Take the stock off, it will blister wood finish in a second
... and the forearm also if there is any linkage that connects to the finger lever - ie '74 Sharps or to the receiver

Regards
John
IP Logged

kcajeel

Reply #11 - Feb 24th, 2012 at 9:10pm
Print Post  
I couldnt find any information on Roto-metals website.

jack
YIM  
IP Logged

digitall423
Oldtimer

Reply #12 - Feb 25th, 2012 at 6:26am
Print Post  
Here you are.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Bill

IP Logged

kcajeel

Reply #13 - Feb 25th, 2012 at 9:40am
Print Post  
Thank you Bill. I don't know why that didn't come up for me.

jack
YIM  
IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Feb 25th, 2012 at 2:06pm
Print Post  
It is somewhat simpler and a whole lot more accurate to take and fill an empty case to the brim with a solid material, brass rod, very very hardwood dowel etc. and to breach seat a very soft cast bullet of pure lead or close to it. Insert your now solid empty case and with a close fitting cleaning rod with a brass jag of the right blunt in shape and diameter, very very hardwood dowel, brass dowel etc. gently start bumping up the bullet so it will form to your throat, leade, groove and bore dia. Remove the empty case and very gently push out the bullet and you will a mirror image with the exact dimensions of those areas without having to take any shrinkage and or growth into consideration that can provide you with false information.

I hope this helps.
J.Louis
« Last Edit: Feb 25th, 2012 at 2:19pm by JLouis »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint