Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Cerosafe Instructions? (Read 7755 times)
.22-5-40
Oldtimer

Re: Cerosafe Instructions?
Reply #15 - Feb 26th, 2012 at 7:36pm
Print Post  
Hello, J Louis.  I like your method..no danger of getting material where you don't want it.  I wonder, I never read of Pope or the other early barrelmakers using this low temp. alloy for checking chambers..and they must have checked them...I wonder if they used your method?

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Feb 26th, 2012 at 9:39pm
Print Post  
.22-5-40 if you were to order a bullet mould from Jim Borton the first thing you are typically required to do is to bump up a soft bullet as I described earlier and to send it off to him in order to insure that you receive a bullet that is a perfect fit to your interior dimensions.

Why someone would choose to use a material that is in per-say a mode of constant change and very unstable of which has been my personnel experience and the changes are significant is beyond me. The only thing I find cerrosafe useful for is to remove a separated case.

J.Louis

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Feb 27th, 2012 at 3:06pm
Print Post  
Bump up a soft bullet is the only way I have ever ordered a bullet mold.

Molds bumping lead up is the best way. I use a .30 cal goverment machine gun rod, bush the rod out with masking tape every few inches to make sure it won't bend and touch the barrel. screw a button jag turned down to a near fit but not so wide it hits the lands. Everything needs to fit with no chance of the rod hitting the barrel. Not hard to do with tape.

Breech end use a lead slug filled case. Wack it good from the muzzle end with a hammer. Lead upsets nice giving a true picture of the leade and bore

Cerrosafe is a quick and not so precise way to figure out what a rifle is chambered for. And good for removing stuck cases.

Boats

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Feb 28th, 2012 at 12:37am
Print Post  
I'm in the process of revising the article, but you may be interested in reading it as written.  It covers chamber casts and impact impressions.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Wayne

NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint