Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Custom Ruger No.1 Front Sight? (Read 2596 times)
.22-5-40
Oldtimer

Custom Ruger No.1 Front Sight?
Dec 5th, 2012 at 12:49am
Print Post  
Hello, everyone.  I posted this on another site..but probably should have asked you experts first.
   About a year ago I purchased a custom built Ruger No.1 .38-55 from a semi-retired gunsmith.
26" Douglass Premium 1/2 oct. .800 muzzle dia.  He installed custom built 1/4 rib. Keplinger set trigger, custom grip cap & buttplate.  Fancy grained English walnut.  Forend is classic pear shape..slightly flat on bottom for bench-rest work & Ebony forend tip.
   I was thinking of installing a front sight..and since this is at least a nominally English looking (Farquharson?) heavy sporting rifle..I thought a NECG ramp front with interchang. bead or blade inserts would look period.
   NECG makes two types of front sights..a plain ramp that sits on top of brl. & held by screw.  And a banded one.  The banded is more fancy..and might look nice..in your opinion would this still have an "old timey" look of a late 19th century English sporter?
   One more thing..they are offered with either a radiused top surface on ramp..or a flat one.
    Given the angular lines of the 1/4 rib & 1/2 oct. brl.  I was wondering if I should go with the flat topped ramp?  Any comments welcome!

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
ASSRA Board Member

Re: Custom Ruger No.1 Front Sight?
Reply #1 - Dec 5th, 2012 at 10:06am
Print Post  
FWIW/JMHO   My impression is that a lot of the English tropical sporting guns had the type of sight that flipped to have a shaded medium post, or an exposed large ivory bead for low light close range dangerous game work. There is a name for that but right now I'm enjoying a painfree drug induced Sr. Moment and can''t for the life of me recall what it is.

You might check out some of those English classic rifle books or recent auction catalogues for actual examples

I have a back-burnered project using one of Steve's early Earle-Wesson Long range actions to make an English style Hunting/Express rifle in 40-70SS / .405 Win.   I picked up an original one of those sights for it and had Steve Durren put an english type multi leaved rear sight on when he barreled and chambered the action.

Addendum:  I like barrel bands if they are sculptured to fit the character of the rifle.  Ruger has used a version on their  tropical rifles.  I also like barrel band forward sling swivel mounts.  Depending on how it goes when I get to it, I may go that route with my project.
« Last Edit: Dec 5th, 2012 at 11:26am by QuestionableMaynard8130 »  

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

George Babits
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Dec 5th, 2012 at 10:18am
Print Post  
I have those NECG ramps with interchangable blades on 2 of my rifles and really like them.  One is on a Ruger #1B, the other on a rebarreled Winchester M-1895.  In both cases I used the barrel band type of ramp and they turned out very nicely.

George

IP Logged

Gone Fly Fishing
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Dec 13th, 2012 at 9:07am
Print Post  
I believe this situation has been commented on previously but perhaps not to the compete satisfaction of the questioner.

CMM

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint