Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Building a Stevens Favourite. (Read 8273 times)
harry_eales
Frequent Elocutionist

Aw heck, vegetable stew,
AGAIN.

Building a Stevens Favourite.
Jul 4th, 2013 at 6:25am
Print Post  
I recently came across this site and was very impressed by this thread.  Cool If you like the Stevens Favourite and fancy building one for yourself,  then look here to see how one amateur gunsmith made his. You will need more than just your Swiss Army knife for whittling metal, you have been warned. See:-

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Enjoy,

Harry   Smiley
« Last Edit: Jul 4th, 2013 at 6:34am by harry_eales »  

IP Logged

whitey hanson
Oldtimer

Re: Building a Stevens Favourite.
Reply #1 - Jul 4th, 2013 at 12:34pm
Print Post  
Harry thanks very interesting. Whitey

IP Logged

Redwing
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Jul 4th, 2013 at 12:34pm
Print Post  
Harry !!!

I followed Tom on his work when he did this and while he did alter some of the feature's from the original, I must admit this was a fantistac job...  The most impressive was the tool development...

Ed....

IP Logged

Walter  Matera
Senior Forum Member

Reply #3 - Jul 4th, 2013 at 1:17pm
Print Post  
I.  Am.  Impressed!  And all I read was the first page.  There are twenty-three more to go.  Yanno, I always wondered how you machine square corners in a mortise . . .  Cool

OldSarge
Welcome to the Cyber-shire

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jul 5th, 2013 at 1:02am
Print Post  
Wow! Just goes to show that with the right tools, materials, time, and talent, you can make pretty much anything. Wish I had all of those.

IP Logged

harry_eales
Frequent Elocutionist

Aw heck, vegetable stew,
AGAIN.

Reply #5 - Jul 5th, 2013 at 1:45am
Print Post  
Walter  Matera wrote on Jul 4th, 2013 at 1:17pm:
I.  Am.  Impressed!  And all I read was the first page.  There are twenty-three more to go.  Yanno, I always wondered how you machine square corners in a mortise . . .  Cool

Hello Walter,
Some years back I had the same problem in putting a square peg into a round hole. The solution is quite simple (if you have a milling machine)  use a tool fixed into a collet and use your mill as a vertical shaper by either lowering the mill head (as I did on my X2 mini mill) or by raising the mill table by hand as Chuckster did when making his Ballard action. The cutting tool is easy to make from Drill Rod of a suitable size or tool steel in any home workshop and can be easily hardened and tempered. Alternatively you can use  a triangular carbide tip which is easily replaced, both types are shown in Chuckster's photographs. See:- (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Clicking on any picture will enlarge it, then use the back or forward arrows to view them all. The arrows become visible when you put your cursor onto the picture.

Chuckster's photographs are far better than mine and there's more of them showing his home made tools. Just take it easy with cut adjustments of 2 or 3 thou' at a time, it is simple method and better still, it really works.  Cool

If you have a vertical mill do give this method a try it really is a simple task to do.

Harry.
« Last Edit: Jul 5th, 2013 at 1:54am by harry_eales »  

IP Logged

harry_eales
Frequent Elocutionist

Aw heck, vegetable stew,
AGAIN.

Reply #6 - Jul 5th, 2013 at 2:05am
Print Post  
Redwing wrote on Jul 4th, 2013 at 12:34pm:
Harry !!!

I followed Tom on his work when he did this and while he did alter some of the feature's from the original, I must admit this was a fantistac job...  The most impressive was the tool development...

Ed....

Hello Ed,

I agree with you, especially as regards the tool development, it solved a problem for me that had me puzzled for years. Now I have to machine another breech block for my Borchardt copy just to make it more technically correct. Angry lol.

Harry

IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Jul 5th, 2013 at 10:05am
Print Post  
Harry,
That is an excellent set of photographs. The Favorite would not be one of the easier actions to build. Learned some things, particularly about tool making. His barrel and sight making is also interesting.

Just for the record, My mill has a hand feed handle like a drill press. This was used to drive the cutter and, agree, it works well. 1/8" lathe cut-off blades make excellent cutters, silver soldered to a round rod. The extractor recess, blind tapered slot, is the toughest cut on the whole action. Not sure how they did it at the factory.
Chuck

IP Logged

Redwing
Oldtimer

Reply #8 - Jul 5th, 2013 at 11:11am
Print Post  

Chuckster !!!

Had to be a "Broach" !!!

Ed

IP Logged

Walter  Matera
Senior Forum Member

Reply #9 - Jul 5th, 2013 at 1:12pm
Print Post  
Hello Harry,
Thanx.  This fall I'm taking a intro to machine shop course to refresh what I learned forty years ago.  Right now I'm concentrating on finishing my wood-working machinery needs (central dust collection and 20" disc sander) and then I'll go for the mill and the machine lathe.  So hopefully I can start with an easy action (like a Dehass Vault Lock) and then start challenging myself with more traditional styles.  In the mean time I hang on every word in this sub forum, drooling all the while! Grin

OldSarge
Welcome to the Cyber-shire

IP Logged

harry_eales
Frequent Elocutionist

Aw heck, vegetable stew,
AGAIN.

Reply #10 - Jul 5th, 2013 at 4:51pm
Print Post  
Redwing wrote on Jul 5th, 2013 at 11:11am:
Chuckster !!!

Had to be a "Broach" !!!

Ed

I'm not so sure your right there Ed, Broaches are very expensive and most gun factories had several Vertical Shaping Machines which could use inexpensive tooling
Usually the component would be dropped into a fixture on the machine which was pre-set and locked in place and the machine set in motion, once the cut was finished the machine was stopped, the table reset to it's original zero the part removed from the fixture and another part would be dropped into place. Such work could be carried out by unskilled or semi skilled workmen leaving the master gunsmiths to adjust or reset the machines if they got out of kilter.

Harry

IP Logged

harry_eales
Frequent Elocutionist

Aw heck, vegetable stew,
AGAIN.

Reply #11 - Jul 5th, 2013 at 5:00pm
Print Post  
Walter  Matera wrote on Jul 5th, 2013 at 1:12pm:
Hello Harry,
Thanx.  This fall I'm taking a intro to machine shop course to refresh what I learned forty years ago.  Right now I'm concentrating on finishing my wood-working machinery needs (central dust collection and 20" disc sander) and then I'll go for the mill and the machine lathe.  So hopefully I can start with an easy action (like a Dehass Vault Lock) and then start challenging myself with more traditional styles.  In the mean time I hang on every word in this sub forum, drooling all the while! Grin

Walter,

I haven't seen the plans for the DeHaas Vault Lock action,  it's too modern for me. You'll find that once you start your course, all the forgotten memories will come flooding back. That's what happened to me. It's amazing how much memory lurks in the corners of your mind and it just needs triggering (Excuse the pun) to bring it all back.

Good luck with your course and also on your first rifle action build. Don't forget to write it up and supply pictures to this section of the Forum. If you get stuck just ask a question here and you'll get the answers you need I'm sure. Cool

Harry

IP Logged

ALPHAWOLF45
Junior Forum Member

Reply #12 - Jul 5th, 2013 at 6:31pm
Print Post  
He does a very fine job and documents his work very well. Proves the reality that it takes a ridiculous amount of time to build from barstock..Read his thread on another forum, has he finished yet? I completed 3 Favorites from barstock in a couple months.. Not nearly  as nice as his  Grin Someday I will build the sideplate version.

IP Logged

harry_eales
Frequent Elocutionist

Aw heck, vegetable stew,
AGAIN.

Reply #13 - Jul 6th, 2013 at 1:18am
Print Post  
Hello Steven,
TomG does do good write ups and takes good pictures. It's been some time since he posted on this particular build but the gun is finished apart from the CC hardening and blueing the metal and putting a finish on the woodwork.

How long a rifle takes to build really depends on how much time you can devote to working on it. Most of us have other duties to perform. I'm that busy I don't know how I ever found time to go to work. Even though I have been retired for five years and I still don't have enough hours in the day to do everything I want to do.  Sad

Harry

IP Logged

ALPHAWOLF45
Junior Forum Member

Reply #14 - Jul 6th, 2013 at 7:12am
Print Post  
It is all about what we want to do in our free time .It amazes me to see a man put that much effort into building a .22 Favorite.. Fair to say he is a substantially better machinist than I am. I'm still working on my skills and not  capable to build a fine masterpiece.. But using spare time from half a year I am currently building a high wall with double set triggers in .45-70 that I will use for BPCR silhouette competition.. Making every pin and bolt and spring and the dbl set triggers , stocks and sights...Wont win a beauty contest when its done but it'll look good and give credible performance.
  Picture shows the last project I finished, a barstock build of a Highwall in .25-35 caliber.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint