Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Ruger No.1 BIG Game Rifle (Read 18583 times)
firearmdoc

Re: Ruger No.1 BIG Game Rifle
Reply #15 - Apr 8th, 2014 at 3:11pm
Print Post  
Creedmoormatch,
If I may suggest, if you are interested in African big game rifles, etc, there is an excellent book called African Dangerous Game Cartridges. Written by Pierre van der Walt. ISBN 978-0-620-48339-1. It is certainly not all inclusive in regards to all the available cartridges, but I have spent many hours reading and re-reading it for info concerning cartridges when I was working on designing one myself.

Jesse

IP Logged

Gone Fly Fishing
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Apr 8th, 2014 at 5:10pm
Print Post  
   Thanks Jessee :

One central authoritative source would be helpful.  So far I've gathered a little bit here and a little bit there.  Getting bits and pieces as I find time to search.

This morning, I read a good bit about the .375 H & H which was actually introduced in 1912 and used Cordite.  Apparently, when the Cordite rounds got to the African continent, the heat of the climate boasted the psi as it reacted to the Cordite, thus greater velocity.

I found much information on the .375 H & H, all of it quite positive.   Wink

Creedmoormatch   

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Apr 8th, 2014 at 9:21pm
Print Post  
Thing that’s critical game shooting is hit the target. I took a relative up to our HP range to "sight in" his 7mm Rem Magnum. He's got a trophy room full of heads taken with it.  All guided hunts.

Took some IDPA pistol cardboard silhouette targets turned them sideways, look sort of like a Deer, dun color cardboard with indistinct aiming point, heart and head are perforations on the cardboard  you have to figure out where they are from the shape, just like a real animals vitals, not marked on the hair.  Staked them out on the range various unmarked distances from 35 to 400 yards. Asked him to shoot the close ones standing, mid range sitting, OK to go prone for the long ones. He hit very few targets at all. Let him shoot my 7mm08 with 140 gr bullets at modest velocity  3x9 scope set on 3 power and he hit quite a few.  I will admit it runs out of gas on game at about 275 yards. However that’s better than missing with the 7mag.

I worked in Africa on and off nearly 10 years, never shot anything but looked at all the game with binoculars or spotting scopes many times. I am pretty sure if hunting Africa I would want something I could hit with, not the most powerful rifle.  375 or one of the 40 calibers at most. Ideal would be two rifles 7mm or 270 and a big 40. If only one gun the 375. Single shot that reloads fast would be fine if backed up with another gun on the dangerous critters. Pair of Ruger # 1's would be about perfect.

Advice from someone who never shot an African Animal

Boats

IP Logged

BillOregon

Reply #18 - Apr 11th, 2014 at 11:55am
Print Post  
Creedmoor, I've owned a number of No. 1s over the years in .375, .405, .450-400, .416 Rigby (great cast bullet cartridge), .458 WinMag and .458 Lott. I never shot any of them a great deal, owing in part to the stock design and recoil characteristics. I shot the Rigby the most, using the RCBS gas-checked bullets over about 50 grains of XMP5744 at about 2,000 fps. Easy on the shoulder and nicely accurate.
That said, on my one and only trip to Africa, I took a CZ bolt gun in 9,3X62 to Namibia and I and my brother used it on kudu, gemsbok and mountain zebra. It's a fine cartridge, dating to 1905 with just a hair's more energy than the .35 Whelen. I agree with Boats' comments. Our PH said he is always happier to see a client arrive with something he can shoot well instead of a "classic" big bore that he is afraid of.
Still, if I ever build another No. 1, it would be as "Farky" as possible, with 28-inch barrel, express iron sights and in .461 Gibbs.

IP Logged

Gone Fly Fishing
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Apr 11th, 2014 at 6:38pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Creedmoor, I've owned a number of No. 1s over the years. . . . .
Still, if I ever build another No. 1, it would be as "Farky" as possible, with 28-inch barrel, express iron sights and in .461 Gibbs.

Excellently put Bill, my sentiments exactly.  With the proper reference photographs, I am up for what ever it takes to put my No.1 into a near perfect Farky look-a-like.

It (the No1) has been a mild mannered .25 people pleaser for too long and I'm sick of it. I can't wait to put a rasp to that stock and bring it into conformity.   Wink

I have many "before" record photos and will be sure to take "in process" photos and "completed" photos as well.

The barrel maker has been commissioned, he's just waiting for the interior specs from me.  Right now, it is just a round steel bar.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

C.M.M.
« Last Edit: Apr 11th, 2014 at 7:06pm by Gone Fly Fishing »  

IP Logged

BillOregon

Reply #20 - Apr 12th, 2014 at 10:55am
Print Post  
There you go, CMM! I would even consider adding Selous plates ...

Cheesy

IP Logged

IOwnDoubles

Reply #21 - Apr 16th, 2014 at 12:12am
Print Post  
Boats,
I have been to africa and shot some plains game.  I used a browning/fn safari grade .300 win mag.  w/ barnes bullets.  One shot kills on everything (and I am not the best shot).

My wife used a .270 win (remington 700)w/ barnes.  She also made one shot kills, even on her zebra.

In S. Africa in the bushveld, the shots are generally close (they want you to score).  Bullet placement and bullet construction are the most important.  Heavier the better.

The PH loaner rifle was a .338 win mag, loaded down a bit and loaded with heavy for caliber premium bullets.

Most of our shots were within 50 - 70 yards; however, my Kudu was about 180 yards. This was unusual.  The 180 grain barnes when through both shoulders and lodged under the skin on the other side.

I have bought a .375 for my return.  If I can afford it, will hunt buffalo, if not, I want to use it on an Eland. It is a large mag mauser (CZ) and I put a recoil reducer in it.  It now balances better and is not un-pleasant to shot.

I know this is a bit off topic, but I thought I would respond to your comment.

Jerry

PS  Africa is not that expensive, if you desire the hunt of a life time, Check it out.

PPS My ruger no 1 does not kick much at all…. it is a .22 hornet. Grin

IP Logged

IOwnDoubles

Reply #22 - Apr 16th, 2014 at 12:13am
Print Post  
Also… nothing wrong with a number 1 for africa… just I wouldn't want to use it on dangerous game.

Jerry

IP Logged

RCRBanjo

Reply #23 - Apr 16th, 2014 at 8:33am
Print Post  
I totally agree with your comments, Jerry.  The Professional Hunters there indicated to me that African game is tougher than our North American animals and placement of the bullet is of utmost importance and should be placed a little higher than we would place the bullet on our game.  Last time I used a common Remington 700 in .30-06 with a 180 grainer and it did the job just fine. Shot 6 animals with 7 shots.  The only reason I had to use an extra was because a durn wildebeest decided to get up and try running away.  Going again this coming August and I'm gonna take my Winchester 1895 in .405WCF just for old time sake, otherwise, I'd take my Ruger #1 in .375 H&H.  Anyone interested in a good outfitter, go to:  (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links); It's family operated and I recommend them highly.

IP Logged

Gone Fly Fishing
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Apr 16th, 2014 at 3:49pm
Print Post  
  What is the basis for your justification and recommendation, other than it is a family owned/operated enterprise?

Family owned enterprises would encompass the Capone businesses, headed up by grandpa "Al".

IP Logged

ziplocjoe
Junior Forum Member

Reply #25 - Apr 16th, 2014 at 4:22pm
Print Post  
I hunted African plains game with a Ruger No.1 in 7X57. I shot a Blue Wildebeest, Gemsbok, Impala, and Warthog.
I really doubt that African animal are any tougher than any other animals of the same size.

IP Logged

RCRBanjo

Reply #26 - Apr 16th, 2014 at 7:38pm
Print Post  
Insofar as recommending African Game Hunters highly, my experience with them is mostly what I can relate.  Having been there, I can say everything in their website is accurate.  They are very adaptive, cooperative, agreeable and easy to get along with.  Excellent food and accommodations.  The food is served by the Mother and wife of the owner.  They meet you at the airport in Johannesburg.  I've heard horror stories of an outfitter not showing up after the client has paid his money.  The client is stranded and pissed, of course.  They will follow up and make sure you receive your trophies.  I've heard horror stories of clients that never got their trophies or rec'd the wrong animals.  They are good business people, of course, so was Al Capone, though a different venue.  To top it off, African Game Hunters work closely with the NRA in our area.  I don't know about the rest of the country but I'm sure our Regional NRA Rep would gladly talk with you.  They have land concessions in their neighborhood and up into Zimbabwe and can furnish you a hunting experience for nearly every type of African animal.  Most of their clients come out of Europe and have never shot a big game rifle let alone own one.  The Professional Hunters are very patient.  The PH's know the politics of Africa, especially game management.  Insofar as African game being tougher, that is what the PH's told me and I think they know a helluva lot more about their business than I do.  As Jerry above mentions, shot placement is the key.  Wasn't it Karamojo Bell that took several hundred elephants with 7-Mauser?  As I mentioned, African Game Hunters are very cooperative.  If you want to go shopping in Pretoria and visit a game preserve, they'll arrange it.  The best thing is for you to go and live the experience yourself.

IP Logged

Gone Fly Fishing
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #27 - Apr 16th, 2014 at 8:40pm
Print Post  

Thank you RCRB....  That was a very comprehensive follow up on your part and is greatly appreciated.  You covered most of the areas that are important to me in such a relationship, i.e., trustworthy, reliability, professionalism, honesty, dependability, etc.

I don't want to take up any more of your time, which I value.  I was hoping that you had said something about the wine at dinner, and about the Land Rover.  They did have a Land Rover .  .  .  .  .and it was Loden Green, correct ?

You are a gentleman and a scholar !

Creedmoomatch

IP Logged

vol717
Junior Forum Member

Reply #28 - May 3rd, 2014 at 9:30am
Print Post  
Did you cut off the stock to get the weight down to 5.2 pounds?   The factory gun weighs more like 8 pounds. Even a No 3 will weigh 7.5 pounds.

IP Logged

Gone Fly Fishing
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #29 - May 3rd, 2014 at 11:53am
Print Post  

Hi Vol 717 --

Would you care to elaborate some on your suggestion of 5.2 pounds (U.S.) as an objective weight for a "carry around" big game rifle ?

Thanks much.

Creedmoormatch

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint