Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Ruger No.1 BIG Game Rifle (Read 18584 times)
Dr Tom

Re: Ruger No.1 BIG Game Rifle
Reply #30 - May 3rd, 2014 at 9:38pm
Print Post  
Vol717 - I weighed my 1S just now. It is nearly 8 lb with 3X scope and sling, so it must have been 6 or 7 when I weighed it several decades ago, rather than 5. I will blame poor long term memory. I bought it new the same month that the 1S became available in 45-70 ... whenever that was. As I am the original owner, I  know that it has never been modified. Perhaps a #1 expert can tell us whether the hole for the stock bolt was larger in the early ones. I doubt it, because that would leave rather thin wood on either side. I think that a more likely explanation is that the density of the wood varies from rifle to rifle and this may be an extreme example.

By the way: thanks for prompting me to pull it out of the safe. I now have a perfect excuse for checking on the local hog problem in the morning.
Tom

IP Logged

TWOGUNS
Junior Forum Member

Reply #31 - May 4th, 2014 at 2:01am
Print Post  
Hello Gents
                  i fired my Ruger N01 585 Hubel Express last weekend ,first from the lead sled, to check the velocity of the loads which averaged around 2100 fps with 750 gr soft point ,recoil was no where near as bad as i thought, considering its a big round ! my 500 A Square which weighs 10 pound is worse ,[a faster sharper recoil ],hopefully later in the year i can give you the results on water buffalo
Cheers

IP Logged

Gone Fly Fishing
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #32 - May 4th, 2014 at 6:17am
Print Post  

Two Guns --- The 585 H. E. and No. 1 Ruger should equal a winning team against the champion Water Buff.

Do let us know how everything went when you get back.   

My regards,
Creedmoormatch

IP Logged

TWOGUNS
Junior Forum Member

Reply #33 - May 4th, 2014 at 4:26pm
Print Post  
I will for sure Creedmorematch

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

Mike Echo Oscar Whiskey

Reply #34 - May 4th, 2014 at 5:48pm
Print Post  
I've shot lots of 485gr GC at 2100 or so - about the same as the factory .458WM factory 500's.

750 grain?  Shazam!

Smiley

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

TWOGUNS
Junior Forum Member

Reply #35 - Sep 13th, 2014 at 6:14am
Print Post  
Hello Gents, i got back from my buffalo hunt a few weeks back , nearly didnt go, because i was so sick from the flu [which didnt do wonders for my memory or shooting],anyway i did bag two buffalo with the 585 Hubel Express with 750 gr projectiles at 2000 fps [not nearly as bad to shoot as you might think]even though its burning 150gr each time you pull the trigger ,there is a photo on[Accurate reloading under 585 Hubel express posts by Ed ] ''Big Bores,'' of one buffalo i shot .Anyway both shots were at about 50 yards and frontal shots with Bertram 750 gr softpoints ,[yes, Bruce make bullets as well as brass and he told me over the phone ''yeaaaaaaaaaah ther're good enough for buffalo''] the first buffalo turned to run about 20 yards, then just collapsed like King Kong hit him .The next day, shot another buffalo at the same range facing me, but at a slight angle ,bullet went through his shoulder and exited near the pelvis about 4 feet of penetration which impressed us all, again ,he turned ran ,fell, struggled a bit then died ,so i was really impressed with the rifle and its performance compared to a 458 Lott and a 378 i also used on other buffalo ,so even after just two animals shows a big single shot rifle can still poleaxe big animals ,if i get to do it again i would only take the 585 and would not feel handicapped at all have a single shot rifle ,im really happy with the rifle ,calibre and its performance and real buffalo medicine compared to the other guns i used

IP Logged

Gone Fly Fishing
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #36 - Sep 13th, 2014 at 7:29am
Print Post  
Good morning Two-Guns

Welcome back home and glad to hear about your recent hunt for the big boy Cape Buffalo.  So you "harvested" two such creatures in two consecutive days, back to back.  That has to be a high light to all the preparation, travel time, etc., etc.

So you are reporting that the .585 Hubel Express has earned its stripes and makes the Cape Buffalo a sure thing, in your case a sure thing X 2.  I hope one of your "carry boys" had a camera and knew to stand still in the face of the charging bull in order to take the pictures.  Just kidding about the "charging raging" bull, but maybe not?  If he ceased to be up on all fours, then a photo of him (them) in the prone position will be just as convincing of the beasts massive size.

When you get all unpacked and back to normal-see lets us hear about the out-fitter and more about the highlights from the camp.

I assume your physician knew you were traveling and gave you some pointer on the Ebola virus and what to avoid?

Congratulations to you and the 585 H.E. !

My regards,

Creedmoormatch

IP Logged

TWOGUNS
Junior Forum Member

Reply #37 - Sep 13th, 2014 at 8:21pm
Print Post  
Creedmorematch ,it was actually Water Buffalo in Australia which is alot cheaper to hunt than Cape Buffalo, and iam told by those that have hunted both ,can be harder to kill ,but not as aggressive as the Cape buffalo .
Cape buffalo are a bit outside my budget ,then there are the airfares and all the other ''hidden costs '' they slug you with,which all adds up to the price of a new car ,too dear .

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint