Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) High Wall repo (Read 18790 times)
frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

High Wall repo
Sep 13th, 2014 at 6:12pm
Print Post  
My luck just keeps getting better Smiley

I went to the Roseburg, Oregon,  Douglas County Gun Show today and look what I brought back.

The name stamped on the tang is C. Pingry. The letters are only 3/32" high and I always have trouble with close up pictures!

Does anyone have any info on this gun maker. He is from CA but, spent his last years in Brookings, OR. The seller said he died a few years ago.

Could this be the guy that made sights somewhere near the CA coast, between LA and SF?

It is a well finished, scaled up HW, the frame width is 1.3 next to the mortice. The mortice is 1.0 wide and the receiver ring is 1.33 long with a 1x16 thread. Serial # 0005.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: High Wall repo
Reply #1 - Sep 13th, 2014 at 6:34pm
Print Post  
Looks like a large frame Clerke.  Maybe he used a Clerke action and worked from it?

dave

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Sep 13th, 2014 at 8:51pm
Print Post  
Dave, I believe that your right.

Most things check out with my Clerke.

Frank
« Last Edit: Oct 29th, 2014 at 8:47pm by frnkeore »  

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Tune Your Rifle: Make
Her Sing

Reply #3 - Sep 14th, 2014 at 11:57am
Print Post  
Frank:

Nice action.
Now a nice rust blued RKS octagon barrel would make her look really pretty.

Have you checked to see if the stock has a through bolt?

Dave

IP Logged

MAD MIKE
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Sep 14th, 2014 at 5:57pm
Print Post  
Frank, That's Chuck Pingry, he always had a table at the Pomona show. I don't think Chuck made the action, he more than likely started with a frame & most of the parts. I know when Barry Darr closed shop in California Chuck bought a lot of his castings. I have a Darr re decapper that I bought from Chuck, but it's stamped C. PINGRY. He was a pretty nice guy & did some nice gunsmithing, but I don't think he made that action. He probably bought some parts from Bo after Bo stopped making Clerke Highwalls. But definately a good find, enjoy       MIKE

IP Logged

Tom_Trevor assra life no.71
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Sep 14th, 2014 at 6:10pm
Print Post  
Chuck and his wife lived in Bodfish Ca. Near lake Isabella.

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Sep 14th, 2014 at 10:04pm
Print Post  
Thank you, Mike and Tom. Great Inf to know.

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #7 - Sep 15th, 2014 at 10:12am
Print Post  
Nice find! Glad to see some interesting things still can be found at gun shows!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

7groove
Junior Forum Member

Reply #8 - Sep 15th, 2014 at 12:03pm
Print Post  
Frank-
In the late 1970's Bo Clerke approached me with the offer to purchase and manufacture his Highwall action.  He had about 30 or so sets of investment castings, some in various stages of completion, along with the jigs and fixtures. Many of the castings, as I recall, had blow holes and pits and varied some what as the wax investments may have slumped. At the time I was with SAECO Reloading and we decided that we did not have the manufacturing space to take on the manufacture of the Clerke Highwall.

I believe the double set triggers in your action were probably made by Chuck Pingry since when the actions were offered to me no castings for a double set trigger tang and parts or double set trigger lever were among the parts or drawings as I recall. Chuck was a very capable gunsmith and in my opinion most likely made the double set triggers. I don't know if Bo offered the action to Chuck other than as a set of castings. As I recall Chuck also made repro tang sights for BPCR.
BW Darr

The more ballistic research I do convinces me all the more Schoyen, Pope and Peterson had it right over 100 years ago.

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Sep 15th, 2014 at 2:39pm
Print Post  
Barry,
Thank you very much.
My very first target rifle (1985) was a 15 twist, Douglas barreled, Clerke. I won many matches with it, over the years.

I shot with Bo at Brea that year and won the December BR match. I wish I could have know Bo better but, he wasn't the most social able to newbie's and didn't offer any info on my rifle. I wish, now that I would have asked him about it. I bought it from Ken Lewis but, Ken doesn't remember the rifle, all these years later.

Do you know if they where serial numbered when the first were received by Bo or would Chuck have numbered his, seperately? The stamps look the same on both of my rifles, accept the they look like they were hit harder on my first one. Regarding the DST, it looks like he extended it by welding two levers, rather than adding a piece. I can make out only one area that looks like it might have been welded. I'll have to pull the triggers and see what the insides look like.

I would love to know how many were ever built. If anyone else out there has a Clerke HW, would you please contact me, even if you had one and remember the serial number?

Thanks again, Barry.

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

7groove
Junior Forum Member

Reply #10 - Sep 15th, 2014 at 3:26pm
Print Post  
Bo was a crusty old sort till you got to know him, which wasn't always easy for some folks, he was a heck-of-a offhand shooter. I shot with him many times at Jess Smiley's matches at Gem Ranch in San Bernadino, Ca.

The raw actions that I saw at the time were not serial numbered as I recall, I have no idea how many actions/rifles Bo may have built over the years. I never barreled one of his actions, they always struck me as kinda crude compared to the original Win High wall, fit and finish wasn't too good.

Barry

The more ballistic research I do convinces me all the more Schoyen, Pope and Peterson had it right over 100 years ago.

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Sep 15th, 2014 at 7:47pm
Print Post  
Here is a picture of my original Winchester, flat spring HW and the Pingry/Clerke. I do prefer the crescent wrist area of the Winchester, it holds the stock much better and helps with keeping cracks from forming.

As finished by Chuck, they don't look to bad. Internally they are real close copy of the Winchester.

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

MAD MIKE
Oldtimer

Reply #12 - Sep 22nd, 2014 at 12:47am
Print Post  
I traded with Chuck at a show, I had a Ruger Commorative the one that came in the mahogany case & traded it to Chuck for 4 or 5 half finfshed rifles, one of them was a Clerke hi wall with DST. No blue,unpolished, wood needed final sanding & finishing but boy did it shoot. Anyway I believe Chuck told me the DST were Thompson-Center.         ...MIKE...

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Sep 22nd, 2014 at 2:54pm
Print Post  
Thanks again, Mike. I'll have to check that out and also see exactly how he made it work.

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Sep 25th, 2014 at 9:54pm
Print Post  
I'm happy to report the Chuch Pingry is alive and well. I just got off the phone with him. Very nice guy and fun to talk to.

Yes, Mike, you remembered the DST well, he did use TC triggers.

Thank you all, especially Farrel.

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint