Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Brass Molds. (Read 6965 times)
JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Brass Molds.
Reply #30 - Mar 26th, 2019 at 12:18pm
Print Post  
I prefer Brass and I make my blocks 11/4 wide X 1 in depth X 1 1/14 high. The balance makes them very comfortable to use, they heat up fast and they hold the heat well. There is just enough room for the bullet cavity to be centered between the alignment pins.

Below is a Barry Darr Insert Mould workmanship is flawless and the best I have seen. Inserts are 25, 28, 32 and if memory serves me right 40 or possibly 35 his favorite being 35-40.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

« Last Edit: Mar 26th, 2019 at 12:41pm by JLouis »  

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #31 - Mar 26th, 2019 at 12:38pm
Print Post  
And those I make for myself this one showing the use of four alignment pins. 11/4 wide X 1 in depth X 1 1/14 high

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Oldtimer

Reply #32 - Mar 26th, 2019 at 4:10pm
Print Post  
Dales' loaner mould is the first Pope "universal" I've ever seen actually being used.  I am deeply envious!

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

Dales
Senior Forum Member

Reply #33 - Mar 26th, 2019 at 4:29pm
Print Post  
The Pope mold is easy to use , the auto sprue cut off and bullet ejection are great advancements to bad they are not made by anyone today.
Dales

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #34 - Mar 26th, 2019 at 4:32pm
Print Post  
Dales wrote on Mar 26th, 2019 at 4:29pm:
The Pope mold is easy to use , the auto spue cut off and bullet ejection are great advancements to bad they are not made by anyone today.
Dales

Some features of that Pope mold look similar to Browning's loading tool he sold to Marlin. But the Browning/Marlin 1881 tool did more than just cast bullets.
I've never seen that particular Pope tool for sale. Seen them in displays, but that's all.

IP Logged

JS47
Frequent Elocutionist

Member # 10889

Reply #35 - Apr 2nd, 2019 at 10:35pm
Print Post  
I notice JLouis makes single cavity moulds which I like, be it brass or iron. My neighbor, who is a very knowledge bullet caster with years of experience, ordered a two cavity brass mold for a 30 caliber rifle. The bullets always shrunk noticeably on one side. That was the side nearest the other cavity. The bullets ended up off balance and wouldn't shoot worth a hoot. It was a well made mould that he fooled around with for weeks before he just gave up. He changed alloys, changed temperature, changed flux, and anything else he could think of. We concluded it must have had something to do with the cooling rate of the alloy as it related to the brass in the mould. I have brass single cavity moulds from the same maker that cast beautiful bullets so the problems of the double cavity remains a bit of a mystery.

JS

"I'll be happy to contribute to the wolf recovery program, 180 grains at a time"  Unknown western rancher

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #36 - Apr 2nd, 2019 at 11:04pm
Print Post  
JS, Did he try both cavities casting only one at a time?

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

JS47
Frequent Elocutionist

Member # 10889

Reply #37 - Apr 3rd, 2019 at 11:03pm
Print Post  
He tried that and everything else he could think of. He cast just the front cavity and just the rear one. The bullets still came out shrunken in the middle directly opposite of the opposing cavity. His iron two cavity molds don't yield the same results. He cast some bullets in a couple of his iron molds to see if he had similar problems which he didn't. To quote Jerry Garcia, "What a long strange trip it's been."

JS

"I'll be happy to contribute to the wolf recovery program, 180 grains at a time"  Unknown western rancher

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #38 - Apr 4th, 2019 at 3:45am
Print Post  
Interesting. I have a 2 cavity .33 brass mold, but I haven't tried it yet.  Wish me luck!  Cheesy

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

JS47
Frequent Elocutionist

Member # 10889

Reply #39 - Apr 4th, 2019 at 7:37pm
Print Post  
Schuetzenmiester wrote on Apr 4th, 2019 at 3:45am:
Interesting. I have a 2 cavity .33 brass mold, but I haven't tried it yet.  Wish me luck!  Cheesy

It will be interesting to hear of your results. Let us know after you've cast a few.

JS

IP Logged

beltfed
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #40 - Apr 4th, 2019 at 9:26pm
Print Post  
Has anyone noticed the "one side shrinking" on
multiple cavity Aluminum molds?
beltfed/arnie

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #41 - Apr 5th, 2019 at 1:56am
Print Post  
I had a issue with one of my NOE, brass, DC molds. It took a while to over come it but, it's good now. But, as I remember, it was just overall fill out (like a cold mold) and not on one side. I also didn't cast just one cavity.

I believe that it was a result of casting in the mold (was in a hurry to check the bullets), before cleaning it, as recommended in the NOE instructions.

I scrubbed it with Boraxo and dish soap, using a heavy nylon brush (not tooth brush) 5 or 6 times and run heat cycles, using both, alloy and a hot plate. It finally came around.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #42 - Apr 5th, 2019 at 2:34am
Print Post  
JS47 wrote on Apr 4th, 2019 at 7:37pm:

It will be interesting to hear of your results. Let us know after you've cast a few.

JS

I will try to get in gear and try it in the next couple weeks.  Got my curiosity up now  Undecided  It is a NOE mold. Who was your neighbor's mold maker?

IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #43 - Apr 5th, 2019 at 10:28am
Print Post  
.33 two cavity aluminum NOE mold and cannot tell the difference with a micrometer or weighing.
Chuck

IP Logged

JS47
Frequent Elocutionist

Member # 10889

Reply #44 - Apr 5th, 2019 at 8:49pm
Print Post  
Schuetzenmiester wrote on Apr 5th, 2019 at 2:34am:
JS47 wrote on Apr 4th, 2019 at 7:37pm:

JS

I will try to get in gear and try it in the next couple weeks.  Got my curiosity up now  Undecided  It is a NOE mold. Who was your neighbor's mold maker?

PM on the way.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint