Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic #1 Rolling Block Hammer Fly Issue - Need Info (Read 2216 times)
One shot at a time

#1 Rolling Block Hammer Fly Issue - Need Info
Mar 27th, 2015 at 6:58am
Print Post  
I ending up finding a 1 1/2 chambered in 32 RF that was not a collectors grade rifle.  I have rechambered it for 32-20 and put in a military CF block.  Shoots great even with the hand dug well looking bore.  Holding a 3 " group at 50 yards.  Learning as I go, here is my issue.  The rifle has a single set trigger and the associated fly with the hammer.  What I a believe is happening is that at times when I am coming back to full cock the fly is too far back and prevents the trigger sear from engaging the hammer.  Never hear the second click.  When taken apart I see that the fly can extend past the sear by about 0.030" or so.  There is an internal pin in the hammer fly slot that is responsible for stopping the movement of the fly.  It appears to have a split collar around it.  The front pin which is responsible for stopping the fly travel at the half cock notch position does not appear to have a split sleeve on it.  My problem is happening spuraticlly I think based on the position of split ring on the rear fly stop pin.  Sometimes it is in a position that allows the sear to drop and other times not.  Here are the questions I have:

What is the purpose of the collar on the fly stop pin?
I wonder if it was put on by someone who was having the same problem before. 
My thoughts are to remove the split ring and make a new fly that would allow the sear to drop.

Thoughts?

Thanks
Brian

IP Logged

graduated peep
Oldtimer

Re: #1 Rolling Block Hammer Fly Issue - Need Info
Reply #1 - Mar 27th, 2015 at 8:15am
Print Post  
Brian,
I own two #1 Sporters. Both have hammers that are slotted for a fly and have the limit pins. Neither have any sort of collar or sleeve covering either of the two pins.
With my limited experience , I am going out on a limb and agree that a previous owner added the collar to try and eliminate the problem you are having.
Another thought I had was that your full cock notch might have been filed back a tad thus creating the problem; but if that was done it might compromise opening the breech.

Only one of my Sporters had a single set trigger; but the hammer had no fly, so I had to make my own.
After about 3 or 4 failures, I had one that worked as intended.
I know exactly what you are experiencing as it happened with my first attempts.
The best remedy I can offer is to remove the fly and carefully work down the edge that protrudes past the full cock notch.
You want to keep the "ramp" effect so the sear is kept from dropping into the half cock.But it should not extend past the full cock notch.
The fly should be hardened; so you might need a Dremel tool with a grinding wheel or something similar to work on it. A file may not cut it.
Let us know how you make out.
« Last Edit: Mar 27th, 2015 at 9:45am by graduated peep »  

Some people wake up happy;I'm just happy to wake up.

IP Logged

One shot at a time

Reply #2 - Mar 27th, 2015 at 6:47pm
Print Post  
Well it turns out that the issue was the collar around the limit pin.  What was happening was that depending on the position the non round ring was in the sear ether engaged or didn't.  That is why the problem would come and go.  I removed it and it was obvious that it was a patch job done by the previous owner.  By previous owner I am betting 100+ years ago (which I believe was the last time the gun was taken apart and cleaned)  The option of filing down the fly so the sear clears will not work.  That same surface I would have to file down is the same surface the sear has to climb to clear the half cock notch. File it to clear the sear at full cock and the sear will hit the half cock notch.  I will need to make a new fly.  To prove things out I tightly wrapped the limit pin with two turns of a  copper wire. It functions perfectly now in both the standard and set trigger mode.  Now I just need to be sure I don't do the same thing the previous owner did and leave a Band-Aid in place instead of fixing the root cause.

Thanks for your input.
Brian

IP Logged

graduated peep
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Mar 28th, 2015 at 9:02am
Print Post  
let us know how your replacement fly work comes out.
Maybe post a photo for others to see what's what ?

Some people wake up happy;I'm just happy to wake up.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint