Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Zimmer help from the experts please (Read 3406 times)
Shanghai Jack
Junior Forum Member

Zimmer help from the experts please
Apr 7th, 2015 at 8:06pm
Print Post  
I have a chance to pick up a what purports to be 4mm zimmerstutzen.  I know nothing about zimmerstutzen except what I've read lately on line .  Are there multiple types of loading mechanisms?  I seem to remember reading that some were set up for fixed ammo why some were separate case and ball.  If so, how does one tell the difference.  If, and I assume there are different types of loading mechanisms, are any more desirable than the other.  Finally, what's a flobert?

Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: Apr 7th, 2015 at 8:42pm by Shanghai Jack »  

IP Logged

Mike Gish

Re: Zimmer help from the experts please
Reply #1 - Apr 7th, 2015 at 10:01pm
Print Post  
You might want to check over on (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
There are some Zimmer shooters there.

IP Logged

.22-5-40
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Apr 8th, 2015 at 12:49am
Print Post  
I had a small supply of 4mm rimfire cases & balls when I purchased my Zimmer.  But here is what I did..I turned up a percussion nipple with dimensions that were a very light snug press in chamber.  At the time, I was able to buy 4mm balls from Beeman Air guns..mine has loading lever that seats ball in chamber ahead of case.  I used CCI non corrosive #10 percussion caps.

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Tune Your Rifle: Make
Her Sing

Reply #3 - Apr 8th, 2015 at 10:34am
Print Post  
The California ISSA shooters have a Zimmer shoot at Raton every year.

I can provide contact information for Russ Hooks or Steve Adams if you wish to contact them.

Wayne T. accidentally shot one through Tommy Mason's garage wall last year. Don't take his advice.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #4 - Apr 8th, 2015 at 10:43am
Print Post  
4mm ammo is still made, and available:
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

trapdoor Dick
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Apr 22nd, 2015 at 7:58pm
Print Post  
There are indeed a few different  loading systems. As mentioned ISS still has the ammo available. I ran a mail shoot for ZS's a few years ago. Learned a lot. Some systems use a little "spoon" to load. If you're missing the spoon, oh well. It came across to me that the "Stegele" system was preferred by those who participated. This has a swing out mechanism back from the muzzle. On most, the ball loads in the front part and the "caps" behind. Whichever you have, they are a bundle of fun and generally accurate beyond reason. Good luck. If you have any pictures that you can post here or PM me, I'll see if I can help with this.

Ya guys, I know this isn't a TD, but a guy has to have some variety to stay sane. Don't we??

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb. - Benjamin Franklin

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

Emperor of the Noodleheads.

Reply #6 - Apr 22nd, 2015 at 10:57pm
Print Post  
At the list on the left, scroll down to Zimmerstutzen.

I have tried most of the systems. The Stiegele/Martini system is the very best. I use the same but is a recoilless model.  The breech loaders have the fastest lock time but are too light in the barrel for me to do good shooting.

The Zimmers are very popular in Bavaria still. One of the matches I went to had eighty two competitors the first day. On the firing line, serious competition.

Joe.

If a waffle falls over on a breakfast table and no one is there to hear it, did the waffle make a sound?

IP Logged

Smoke
Senior Forum Member

Reply #7 - Apr 24th, 2015 at 1:38am
Print Post  
Schuetzendave wrote on Apr 8th, 2015 at 10:34am:
The California ISSA shooters have a Zimmer shoot at Raton every year.

I can provide contact information for Russ Hooks or Steve Adams if you wish to contact them.

This weekend is the San Diego ISSA Regional match.  We'll have a zimmer shoot.  If you have specific questions, PM me with your email address and I'll put you in touch with the guys here who run those matches (neither Russ nor Steve).

Or post your questions in this forum and I'll get you some answers.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint