Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) One a little different from Germany (Read 4858 times)
oneatatime
Oldtimer

One a little different from Germany
Sep 9th, 2015 at 3:40pm
Print Post  
This 9.3x74R has been my hunting rifle for many years. It was marketed by H. Scherping in Hannover whom I believe was usually known for upmarket goods. The proofs are the standard B, U, G, and N over crown. The Krupp Stahl barrel carries the 108/49 bore gauge mark and the 3.5g GBP over St.m.G standard proof load for the 9.3x74R. The combination of these marks I believe points to a fairly early date in the 20th century. It has some features which strike me as a little unusual such as the half round barrel with a full length swamped rib with a flip up moon sight, the tang safety, the stock butt finished in the round without a buttplate, the horn part of the pistol grip which is inletted into the stock, the nontypical engraving (at least as I see it), and well, the action itself. The first image shows the complete rifle. The second image shows a close up of the closed action. Note the checkering panel on the bottom of the foreend immediately in front of the receiver. The last image shows the action open with the foreend removed. Note the engaged sear immediately over the rectangular slot in the bottom action plate. Does anyone have any information to add on this action? Biggi?

IP Logged

Singleshotlover
Oldtimer

Re: One a little different from Germany
Reply #1 - Sep 11th, 2015 at 12:16am
Print Post  
Can't help you regarding your rifle, but just wanted to say she's beautiful. Really like the style and the way it's put together. Frank

Singleshotlover

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Sep 11th, 2015 at 1:05pm
Print Post  
Neat rifle. Question, since I've never seen anything like that gizmo on the front of the grip area, just behind the trigger guard-
Is it sorta common in Europe? Is it just a "palm filler", or for strengthening the stock?
OK, that two questions, but what the heck?

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #3 - Sep 11th, 2015 at 4:48pm
Print Post  
I'm sure you'll get plenty of I don't know what it is, but it's neat! I'll just add mine early on!

Vall
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Sep 11th, 2015 at 5:22pm
Print Post  
Well, I feel better already- not as dumb as I worried I was. Still, it's a nice rifle and the "thing" is interestin'.
I like the modern scope on it as well, since it makes my scoped high wall look like a brother with it's scope that's about a hundred ten years newer than the rifle.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Sep 11th, 2015 at 6:05pm
Print Post  
Yes, Singleshotlover, it was love at first sight. Shoots really good, too. Calledflyer, the stock was obviously made to have that horn filler in there. The metal of the triggerguard ends just where it goes out of sight and the horn has a platform and "keel" that is inletted into the stock. The wood part of the pistol grip is actually a little farther back than it would have been without it. The horn does fill in the long space to the front trigger and gives the other 3 fingers something to rest on. It also feels a lot better on a cold morning than than the bare metal of an extended trigger guard would. Has anyone noticed that the action is basically a Germanized Fraser. Take a Fraser with the side lever off and add an attachment point for an underlever to the trigger plate with a simple link to the breechblock, replace the stock through bolt with normal screws in tangs, and, of course, add double set triggers and voila! Compare with the Fraser diagram.

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Sep 11th, 2015 at 11:26pm
Print Post  
Well, I like it for sure. What is the weight- it looks hefty to lug up and down any western mountains.

IP Logged

Singleshotlover
Oldtimer

Reply #7 - Sep 11th, 2015 at 11:53pm
Print Post  
Love at first sight. Gotta really like that one. With that heavy barrel how much does she weigh?. Frank

Singleshotlover

IP Logged

oneatatime
Oldtimer

Reply #8 - Sep 12th, 2015 at 6:28pm
Print Post  
She weighs a svelte 8 pounds 0 ounces. You kind of appreciate the weight when you touch off a 286 grainer! I think I'll post something in the reloading section about where I finally arrived with it.

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Sep 12th, 2015 at 6:43pm
Print Post  
Shore do look heavier than it is! I know what ya mean about the recoil of heavy bullets, though, or worse, heavy ones going fast.

IP Logged

Singleshotlover
Oldtimer

Reply #10 - Sep 12th, 2015 at 10:42pm
Print Post  
At that weight would be a natural for cast bullets. Frank

Singleshotlover

IP Logged

oneatatime
Oldtimer

Reply #11 - Sep 13th, 2015 at 3:12pm
Print Post  
Frank, I just happened to find some well cast 295 grain bullets that I picked up somewhere. The label says they were from an NEI mould so we'll see how she likes them.

IP Logged

John Boy
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA #10288 (Paid Feb
2019 - 2 Yrs)

Reply #12 - Sep 13th, 2015 at 4:00pm
Print Post  
oneatatime ... where are you getting the ".217/5603/474A" primers for the reloads?

Regards
John
IP Logged

oneatatime
Oldtimer

Reply #13 - Sep 13th, 2015 at 4:26pm
Print Post  
John, I have Boxer primed Norma brass. I believe I do have some of those Berdans around somewhere though.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Oldtimer

Reply #14 - Sep 7th, 2016 at 8:15pm
Print Post  
So, a few days shy of a year ago I wrote "Frank, I just happened to find some well cast 295 grain bullets that I picked up somewhere. The label says they were from an NEI mould so we'll see how she likes them" after his suggestion to try some cast bullets. Finally today I did. I set up a ladder test using most of the comparable data I could find. I shot Unique 14, 15, 16 grains; Red Dot 12, 13, 14 grains; Reloader 7 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 grains; 4759 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 grains; 4198 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 grains; and 4227 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 grains. The 24-25 grains 4227 looked most promising but the Red Dot 13-14 and the Reloader 7 29-30 could also be. I only have another 25 of those bullets so I may blow them on a more extensive test of the 24-25 range of 4227 and if that turns out well may have to find the NEI mould they came from. I might add that from the response of my shoulder that the 4759 loads were especially moving right along.
« Last Edit: Sep 27th, 2016 at 1:40pm by oneatatime »  

IP Logged

oneatatime
Oldtimer

Reply #15 - Aug 30th, 2017 at 7:27pm
Print Post  
Learned today that the reason it looks like a Germanized Fraser is that it likely is a Germanized Fraser. There was a smith in Vienna who was importing Henry and Fraser actions, doing his thing and passing them on to the trade. The proof date marks fall between 1893 and 1912 so it is over 100 years old and still capable of less than 1 MOA. (See the Reloading thread)

IP Logged

oldman46
Junior Forum Member

Reply #16 - Aug 30th, 2017 at 11:31pm
Print Post  
Just saw your latest post. Cast bullets, rimmed case, and a beautiful rifle. Great combination. 4759 is all that I use in a Finn model 27 Moisin Nagant rifle.They as you probably already know discontinued this powder and when what I have is gone hopefully will be able to find a replacement for it. I've had this rifle for about 25 years or maybe longer and always cast bullets. Thanks for sharing a beautiful rifle. Frank

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Send TopicPrint