Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) For rolling block lovers. (Read 6476 times)
marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: For rolling block lovers.
Reply #60 - Nov 7th, 2017 at 9:47am
Print Post  
Galazan makes a pre '64 Winchester red stain. Not inexpensive at $17 for 3 oz., but a little goes a long way.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Vall

IP Logged

oneatatime
Oldtimer

Reply #61 - Nov 7th, 2017 at 5:00pm
Print Post  
When I was a teen I finished a stock with what my junior high wood shop teacher called "antique varnish". It looked great but I'll be danged if I can remember what was in it. Shellac, varnish, turpentine???? By the way, Zinsser Bulls Eye Amber Shellac is a dead match for original Parker shotgun finish.
« Last Edit: Nov 7th, 2017 at 5:07pm by oneatatime »  

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #62 - Nov 10th, 2017 at 5:21pm
Print Post  
Here's an old Roller that strolled into the pawn shop where my youngest son works. Missing the rear sight, and breechblock spur broken off. But a perfect 11.7 bore, and untouched wood and metal. The shop wanted it gone, so it came home extremely cheap!

This is the tightest old Rolling Block I've ever worked on! The pins fit so snug in the receiver they need to be tapped in and out with a brass punch.
My plan was to tear it apart as a donor for a project. But it is all matching numbers, and so nice I hated to do so. So instead I dug through parts and found an original barrel sight and installed it.
I made up a spur and took the breechblock and spur to a young welder I know who tig welded the spur on for $10. Dressed it down, and cut some checkering grooves to make t easy to extract. Touched it up with some cold blue and reassembled it.

My youngest daughter's husband is getting interested in old guns, so this will be his birthday gift next month, so he can play with it, and learn how to reload and make cartridges for it.

Vall

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 
Send TopicPrint