Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Mills to Inches (Read 26786 times)
kcajeel

Mills to Inches
Mar 13th, 2017 at 11:20am
Print Post  
I'm looking at new scopes and lots of them refer to mills instead of inches can someone tell me the difference between a mill and an 1/8" or 1/4"  at a hundred yards?

Thanks

jack
YIM  
IP Logged

rkaires
Frequent Elocutionist

No Stronger Bond

Re: Mills to Inches
Reply #1 - Mar 13th, 2017 at 11:29am
Print Post  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

ASSRA #11031
NRA Life
Proud Noodlehead

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history, when everybody stands
around reloading."~ ~ Thomas Jefferson

IP Logged

kcajeel

Reply #2 - Mar 13th, 2017 at 2:06pm
Print Post  
Nice article.

Thanks

jack
YIM  
IP Logged

rgchristensen
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Mar 14th, 2017 at 2:26pm
Print Post  
As far as the US military is concerned, there are TWO different "mils", the "Infantry" mil, and the "Artillery" mil.   They are not much different, but SOMEWHAT different.   I forget which is which, but one is 1000x2xpi per circle, and the other is 6400 per circle.

CHRIS
RGChristensen

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #4 - Mar 14th, 2017 at 5:17pm
Print Post  
rgchristensen wrote on Mar 14th, 2017 at 2:26pm:
As far as the US military is concerned, there are TWO different "mils", the "Infantry" mil, and the "Artillery" mil.   They are not much different, but SOMEWHAT different.   I forget which is which, but one is 1000x2xpi per circle, and the other is 6400 per circle.

CHRIS
RGChristensen

Thank you, Chris!  It is the Artillery 'Mil' that has 6400 per circle.  (Comes from the French circa WWI when we were just figuring out modern artillery with the French 75.)

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

Tom_Trevor assra life no.71
Oldtimer

Tom Trevor

Reply #5 - Dec 29th, 2020 at 4:18pm
Print Post  
Infantry mill is 6200. Or was 1967-69

IP Logged

rhbrink

Reply #6 - Dec 30th, 2020 at 9:09am
Print Post  
So what is the significance of 6400 or 6200 per circle?

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #7 - Jan 2nd, 2021 at 8:54pm
Print Post  
both are angular measurements.
devices for measuring the angles are in mils; as the M2 aiming circle ( a 4x transit used by the artillery).  The coordinates (of where you are) are surveyed from a known point to where the battery is.  From that point each cannon (the sight there of) is registered to the known point.  Then when the adjustments from the FDC (fire direction control) are given, each cannon sets elevation and azimuth, sets the charge and fuse, and on command fires.  Adjustments are then given to raise or lower - in mils.   

.    We use minute of angle and the number of clicks to adjust such on our scopes at 100 yards.   

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

sharps
Junior Forum Member

Reply #8 - Jan 6th, 2021 at 1:51pm
Print Post  
i have a bushnell and leupold graduated in .1mils adjustments, i go w/ 3cliks[.3mil] = 1moa, it's close enough for my shooting, but as range increases so do adjustment values  @ 600yds 3cliks [.3] = 7+ inches                             best wishes

IP Logged

wesg

Reply #9 - Feb 26th, 2021 at 4:06pm
Print Post  
A Radian is the length of the arc of a circle divided by 2x Pi. It's not an angle, per se. It's an irrational number, the decimals never end, and it can't be perfectly divided by anything.

Hence, if you want to make a dial of some sort, you've got to round it off and hope you never have to make a huge adjustment that has to be accurate. With multiple turns, the error is going to keep adding.

A 'Mil' would be about 6283 per turn. Could use 6300, but 6200 and 6400 are more easily divisible. No idea why one or the other.

I guess they work great for various engineering and astrophysics stuff involving rotation, radial velocities, etc. But you'll never see a rotary table in Radians Wink

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Feb 26th, 2021 at 4:43pm
Print Post  
For cast bullet competition you would probably not want a scope in Mills. They are better served for those shooting tactical competitions. What type of scope are looking at the reason I ask is you probably cannot find one better than the Nightforce BR scopes. I had a 12X42BR once and the optics and the click adjustments for elevation and windage where absolutely outstanding. I would send it every couple of years to have it cleaned and checked and it was also at no charge to me. Other than them cleaning it no other work had to be preformed and it was all part of their warranty.

Every Time You Try And Fail The Closer You Are To Achieving Success.

IP Logged

SchwartzStock
Oldtimer

Reply #11 - Feb 26th, 2021 at 5:52pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Feb 26th, 2021 at 4:43pm:
For cast bullet competition you would probably not want a scope in Mills. They are better served for those shooting tactical competitions. What type of scope are looking at the reason I ask is you probably cannot find one better than the Nightforce BR scopes. I had a 12X42BR once and the optics and the click adjustments for elevation and windage where absolutely outstanding. I would send it every couple of years to have it cleaned and checked and it was also at no charge to me. Other than them cleaning it no other work had to be preformed and it was all part of their warranty.

"Mils" not "Mills"

If you fire one shot you know where your zero is, if you fire two shots you are uncertain, if you fire three shots you know how difficult it is to know where your zero is...

IP Logged

jrlee45

Reply #12 - Sep 2nd, 2021 at 2:49pm
Print Post  
Thank you John. It's only been up there almost 5 years and you are the first to mention that I misspelled. I should have known.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint