Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) new rifle planning (Read 4760 times)
Mick B
Senior Forum Member

Re: new rifle planning
Reply #45 - Apr 10th, 2017 at 1:50am
Print Post  
Currently I'm waiting for a reply from MVA as to their delivery times on a Hi Wall action. Will be phoning Ron Smith concerning an RKS barrel and his delivery times as well.
Once the engraving is completed I have to decide on the final finish that will best blend with, and enhance, the engraving on the action. Any suggestions would be welcome.
Mike.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #46 - Apr 11th, 2017 at 11:56am
Print Post  
Bringing this up to restore the lost thread!

Vall
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #47 - Apr 11th, 2017 at 7:03pm
Print Post  
Tough to beat the colors of a good bone-charcoal case-color. Have posted the buttplates and block from my Hepburn in the 'Rifle Photos' thread. See what you think.

Glenn

IP Logged

jfeldman
Oldtimer

Reply #48 - Apr 11th, 2017 at 7:24pm
Print Post  
Mike, I really do like color case on rifles, BUT, I will concede that it tends to hide the engraving to some extent.  A French Grey finish would probably show the engraving a bit better.  Some folks rub down a color case finish to get it a bit "silvery".

Regards, Joe

IP Logged

J Louis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #49 - Apr 11th, 2017 at 7:31pm
Print Post  
I have seen some engraving on a Metalife finish that was stunning. I think the finish was very close to a French Gray.

JLouis

IP Logged

Mick B
Senior Forum Member

Reply #50 - Apr 11th, 2017 at 9:46pm
Print Post  
Thanks to all that have responded to my numerous requests for advice, very much appreciated.
I contacted Ron Smith of RKS barrels as to his advice for a suitable barrel for my 40/65 and he suggested a gain twist in 16-1. I also asked him about delivery time and was advised that it would take at least two months owing  to work load factors and the onset of summer.
I was considering a Winchester #4 profile, would this make a completed rifle weigh over 12 lb 2 oz, this is the maximum weight limit for a black powder silhouette rifle.
Still no reply from MVA concerning delivery times for the 1885 action as yet.
I get  the feeling that this project is going to be a long haul.
Mike.

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #51 - Apr 12th, 2017 at 6:52am
Print Post  
If you shoot scope in BPCR (like my old eyes require), the the weight limit is 15#.
You probably want to call MVA. They are a small business and I've given up on waiting for an e-mail response when I need something. Also, don't call during their lunch-hour, as you may have to leave a message.

Glenn

IP Logged

Mick B
Senior Forum Member

Reply #52 - Apr 12th, 2017 at 7:59am
Print Post  
SSShooter
Actually I don't shoot metallic silhouette at all but I thought it would be a good idea to have the rifle the right weight in case I sold it.
To the best of my knowledge the BPCRS shoots here do not have a scope event at the moment, I imagine this will change as the shooters get  too old to use aperture sights.
As for the current rules at our black powder club concerning rifle weight, I don't think there are any.
All of our BPCR events are off the bench at either 100 or 200 meters, scopes are not allowed, or barrel sleds.
Mike.

IP Logged

Sage Creek Gus
Junior Forum Member

Reply #53 - Apr 19th, 2017 at 1:22pm
Print Post  
Mick B wrote on Mar 28th, 2017 at 8:41pm:
I'm in the process of planning my new and last rifle, honestly the last one.
Considering putting together a Hi Wall in 40/65.
Questions.
What new action to use ?.
What barrel.
What chamber reamer style, rifle may be shot either breech seated or fixed.
Mike.

Just in case you're interested I have a friend who ordered a CPA in 40-65 a few years ago and has never fired it.

He now wants to sell it.

He paid $3200 for it with sights (I don't know the details on them) and is now asking $3000.

If interested I'll get you in contact with him.

IP Logged

Mick B
Senior Forum Member

Reply #54 - Apr 19th, 2017 at 8:58pm
Print Post  
Gus
Thanks for the offer but I'm pretty committed with this new project, hopefully I will live long enough to see it through at the speed things are progressing at the moment.
I have had 5 CPA Stevens rifles, the first was a 40/65 and quite frankly I should have just kept it and been satisfied. However, human nature being what it is I continued to experiment with different calibers, ie, 45/70, 38/56 , 45/90 and my present CPA which is a 40/60 Maynard.
Frankly my cheapest option for a 40/65 would be simply to get another barrel and screw it in to my current action, but where's the fun in that.
I seem to be running into one hurdle after another at the moment but I have no doubt that in the fullness of time it will be all worth while ( I hope ).
Mike.

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #55 - Apr 20th, 2017 at 6:50am
Print Post  
Mick - are you in Oz?

Glenn

IP Logged

Mick B
Senior Forum Member

Reply #56 - Apr 21st, 2017 at 5:46am
Print Post  
ssshooter
I'm in Canberra, the capital of Australia, I live four minutes from the range. How goods that ?.
Mike.

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #57 - Apr 21st, 2017 at 8:15am
Print Post  
Having never had the pleasure of visiting Australia, I cannot answer on the goodness of same.  Wink However, "gamerancher' (Daniel), who posts on the Shiloh forum, shoots the lever-gun, .22 & BP silhouette nationals at Raton most every year (and, from his posts, that will include this year) might have info on other BP matches down your way. He is also in NSW.

Glenn

IP Logged

Mick B
Senior Forum Member

Reply #58 - Apr 21st, 2017 at 7:49pm
Print Post  
SSShooter
I have been to the US on about six occasions and driven from as far south as LA up to Boston. I usually visit Friendship for either the autumn or spring shoots, not to compete but rather to catch up with friends.
I have probably attended 90% of the shoots that are held in Australia on the east coast, I used to compete but now it's more of a social thing.
That's what old age and failing eyesight does to you.
My interest now is mainly tinkering around with putting a new rifle together and seeing how well I can get it to shoot using black powder.
Mike.

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #59 - Apr 25th, 2017 at 7:26am
Print Post  
Maybe we'll meet at one of the BPCR regionals at Friendship. Usually travel out for both of them each season.

Glenn

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 
Send TopicPrint