Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Secure? (Read 412 times)
cptuap
Junior Forum Member

Secure?
Apr 14th, 2017 at 8:19am
Print Post  
Each time I login I am seeing a notice that this site is not secured.  Had same problem at another forum.  Administrator there did something to secure it.  Can it be corrected here?  Thanks,  Charlie Seelye

IP Logged

bpjack
Oldtimer

Re: Secure?
Reply #1 - Apr 16th, 2017 at 4:18pm
Print Post  
The message you see is related to the network traffic between here and your PC.  This site is not using HTTPS which could encrypt the network packets from here to you.  I could probably be implemented, but requires the expense of a SSL certificate.  It would also generate more user issues when not configured on the PC side.  The YaBB software the runs this site has other security features that can be implemented including password encryption.  This site has no real sensitive data about the users.  I would just not exchange financial data using PMs as a precaution.  Get an email address of phone number instead.

Jack

ASSRA # 11318
Yesterday I did nothing and today I'm finishing what I did yesterday.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Apr 19th, 2017 at 1:09pm
Print Post  
After last Foxfire update, Foxfire warns me this is an unsecured site. Google Chrome does not warn me. FF will not auto fill my user name. GC will.
Secure or unsecured it doesn't effect me. As far as I know anyway. I have nothing on this site that needs to be secure.

Joe.

IP Logged

Josh Borton
YaBB Administrator

Reply #3 - Apr 20th, 2017 at 4:26pm
Print Post  
BPJack is correct.

We do not accept credit card information on the site, or have any other information that really requires security (I would hope you are using a different password on the forum than you use at your bank...). The yearly expense of a Security Certificate was deemed unnecessary.

I can certainly track down a cheap SSL Certificate and install it, if the board is willing.

Update: hmm, looks like someone is offering free basic SSL Certificates now. Will have to research and see if these will work for getting rid of the security warning in Firefox (and how hard they are to install...)

Update2: well, that was easier than expected. Site should now be running HTTPS and the warnings should go away. Only drawback so far is the free certificate must be renewed every 90 days instead of yearly. Not a huge issue for free...

Please let me know if you encounter any issues that may be due to this change.
« Last Edit: Apr 20th, 2017 at 4:50pm by Josh Borton »  
IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Apr 20th, 2017 at 7:49pm
Print Post  
Kapsersky on Google Chrome started saying the site can't be trusted occasionally. I see the secure server designation.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint