Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Tesla Auto Manufacturing Plant in Calif. (Read 1984 times)
marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: Tesla Auto Manufacturing Plant in Calif.
Reply #30 - Apr 20th, 2017 at 11:16am
Print Post  
John, GM's Chevrolet plant in Van Nuys was there from 1947 to 1998 and at the end produced mostly Camaros and Firebirds. My '71 Camaro came from the Van Nuys plant according to the build sheet.
Like the Ford plant, it closed when production moved to Quebec, and it too became a mall; ironically named "The Plant".
Ford had a Long Beach plant from the 30's to the late 50's, and LA had a plant from 1932 to 1971. Chrysler also had an LA plant from the 1930's to early 70's.

Vall
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

J Louis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #31 - Apr 20th, 2017 at 3:55pm
Print Post  
Thanks Vall I had no idea the west coast used to have so many auto making plants. I could only assume that increased regs. and taxes typical of this state chased them all away sadly.

JLouis

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #32 - Apr 21st, 2017 at 11:14am
Print Post  
J Louis wrote on Apr 20th, 2017 at 3:55pm:
Thanks Vall I had no idea the west coast used to have so many auto making plants. I could only assume that increased regs. and taxes typical of this state chased them all away sadly.

JLouis

I'd like to blame NAFTA, and think it was the blame for the Ford (edit-Chevy) plant leaving for Quebec. But the others I just am unsure why they were closed? Maybe the area needed more malls? Wink
« Last Edit: Apr 22nd, 2017 at 6:20pm by marlinguy »  

Vall

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #33 - Apr 21st, 2017 at 3:30pm
Print Post  
The gas crisis and cheap, high milage Jap cars predated NAFTA.  I remember driving down the freeway one day listening to a news report on the radio.  The announcer said Japan might let Washington state apples into Japan if it didn't interfere with their domestic market and the few acres they had over there.  I was surronded  by Jap cars on the freeway imported without any restrictions.  Trade policy has more to do with the demise of American manufacturing than any other single factor.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #34 - Apr 21st, 2017 at 10:31pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Apr 21st, 2017 at 11:14am:
J Louis wrote on Apr 20th, 2017 at 3:55pm:

JLouis

I'd like to blame NAFTA, and think it was the blame for the Ford plant leaving for Quebec. But the others I just am unsure why they were closed? Maybe the area needed more malls? Wink

When did Ford put a plant in Quebec?   Since the Free Quebec movement began businesses have been fleeing Quebec.  Toronto boomed, Montreal became a ghost town.   

Jack of All Trades - Retired

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #35 - Apr 21st, 2017 at 10:37pm
Print Post  
Schuetzenmiester wrote on Apr 21st, 2017 at 3:30pm:
The gas crisis and cheap, high milage Jap cars predated NAFTA.  I remember driving down the freeway one day listening to a news report on the radio.  The announcer said Japan might let Washington state apples into Japan if it didn't interfere with their domestic market and the few acres they had over there.  I was surronded  by Jap cars on the freeway imported without any restrictions.  Trade policy has more to do with the demise of American manufacturing than any other single factor.

I'd have to say that, overall, the EPA, unions, and tax policy are greater factors than trade policy.  And malignant apathy toward innovation on the part of management, to speak of the machine tool industry which died while I was struggling to make a living in it. 

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #36 - Apr 22nd, 2017 at 1:54am
Print Post  
Yeah, the Pinto and Vega come to mind.  Real classics!  Grin

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #37 - Apr 22nd, 2017 at 4:58pm
Print Post  
uscra112 wrote on Apr 21st, 2017 at 10:31pm:
When did Ford put a plant in Quebec?   Since the Free Quebec movement began businesses have been fleeing Quebec.  Toronto boomed, Montreal became a ghost town.   

Did you read my post? Ford closed the plant in Ca. in 1998, and moved assembly to Quebec. So that's when the assembly went to Quebec.
Interestingly, Ford of Canada was not owned by Ford Motor Co. of the USA. But 51% of the company in Canada was owned by officers and stock holders of Ford America! (Henry Ford himself owned 13% of ford Canada) At one point Ford was the largest employer in Canada.

Vall

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #38 - Apr 22nd, 2017 at 6:11pm
Print Post  
I was immersed in Ford/GM from 1993 on.  I've never heard of any Ford plants in Quebec of any kind.  Oakville, Ontario was the only big assembly plant they ever had in Canada, and still is.  They had a very small plant in Talbotville that assembled limos and police cars.  Windsor was and still is a main producer of V-8 engines.   I just checked Wiki to be sure my memory hasn't failed.  (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #39 - Apr 22nd, 2017 at 6:19pm
Print Post  
Sorry. We were talking Ford and other makers, and I transposed the names. It was Chevy that closed in Fremont and moved to Quebec in 1998.

Vall

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #40 - Apr 22nd, 2017 at 9:50pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Apr 22nd, 2017 at 6:19pm:
Sorry. We were talking Ford and other makers, and I transposed the names. It was Chevy that closed in Fremont and moved to Quebec in 1998.

Had to look that one up.   St. Therese parish.  Never even knew it existed.  But then my GM experience up there was almost entirely the St. Catharines plant, which made V-6 engines for lesser models.   The Camaro didn't last long at St. Therese either; plant was closed in 2004, according to Wiki.

Phil

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #41 - Apr 23rd, 2017 at 7:47pm
Print Post  
uscra112 wrote on Apr 22nd, 2017 at 9:50pm:
 The Camaro didn't last long at St. Therese either; plant was closed in 2004, according to Wiki.

Phil

Well if you recall the Camaro/Firebird ended production completely in 2002, so not sure what they did up there for the other 2 years? By the time Chevrolet brought the Camaro back, the plant was gone, and production was resumed in March of 2009 at the Oshawa, Ontario plant.

Vall

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #42 - Apr 23rd, 2017 at 9:05pm
Print Post  
Shows ta go yuh how much attention I paid to the assembly plants, I guess.    Embarrassed    Nor was I ever a Camaro fan of any sort.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint