Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Keep your butt tight (Read 870 times)
Muddly
Junior Forum Member

Keep your butt tight
Apr 20th, 2017 at 3:40pm
Print Post  
Gotcha with that one...
Anyway. The last couple groups, with my .270 Encore were a tad vertical. Haven't had her long, but previous range trips , all groups were nicely triangular. Was fiddling around with her today and noticed the buttstock was slightly loose. Tightened it up and we're back to nice triangular groups. All the stuff I've read lately and no mention of loose buttstock. Thought to check it from my experience with No4 Enfields. Hope it helps someone out there.

IP Logged

beltfed
Oldtimer

Re: Keep your butt tight
Reply #1 - Apr 20th, 2017 at 4:21pm
Print Post  
Indeed,
a bit of Medium, threadlocker Locktite on the threads of the thru bolt helps peace of mind.
beltfed/arnie

IP Logged

Muddly
Junior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Apr 20th, 2017 at 4:29pm
Print Post  
There is space between the buttstock ears and the frame. I used a shim to keep it centered while I tightened the bolt. Any benefit to glass bedding this area? That area abounds with lock points. Perhaps using veneers to take up the space would be simpler. 
Always nice to have some small amount of work to do on a rifle. Nothing should be perfect as is...

IP Logged

beltfed
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Apr 20th, 2017 at 11:18pm
Print Post  
Muddly,
It is certainly a good idea to glass bed the contact points
at the end of the stock "ears" that butt up to the receiver
next to the tang. Also, doesn't hurt to "Dremel" out" below the surface around the end of the tang area of stock and glass that area at the same time. This all helps with firm solid fit of stock to receiver.
beltfed/arnie

IP Logged

mctaylor250
Junior Forum Member

Reply #4 - Apr 21st, 2017 at 3:51pm
Print Post  
Hi Muddly,

Not sure if you know about his site already but MikeBellm is an excellent resource for getting maximum accuracy out of the Encore and Contender platforms.

Mike

IP Logged

Muddly
Junior Forum Member

Reply #5 - Apr 22nd, 2017 at 2:32am
Print Post  
Hi All.
Been to Mr Bellm's site. A lot to digest and even more trouble for me to get into!
  I am enjoying this Encore hugely. For awhile, I thought the Savage 110 series was perhaps the ultimate no gunsmith needed rifle. It is if you want/ need a repeater, but I must admit the Encore is the better rifle for that niche. I do have some points of curiosity though. Things like action durability and stock strength under recoil. The wood gets pretty thin... Makes me wonder if a thumbhole might be better. Anyway. The journey is the fun!

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Apr 23rd, 2017 at 7:01am
Print Post  
Muddly wrote on Apr 22nd, 2017 at 2:32am:
Hi All.
Been to Mr Bellm's site. A lot to digest and even more trouble for me to get into!
  I am enjoying this Encore hugely. For awhile, I thought the Savage 110 series was perhaps the ultimate no gunsmith needed rifle. It is if you want/ need a repeater, but I must admit the Encore is the better rifle for that niche. I do have some points of curiosity though. Things like action durability and stock strength under recoil. The wood gets pretty thin... Makes me wonder if a thumbhole might be better. Anyway. The journey is the fun!

I succumbed to the T/C addiction about 5-6 years ago.  I've recovered now.  Overall I don't think much of that action. It uses a locking system that American shotgun makers abandoned about 1905.  So many guys want multiple barrels, but getting accurate headspacing for all of them is a trial. The basic design was intended solely for pistol cartridges, and IMHO even the heavier Encore isn't up to some of the hot rifle cartridges that Bellm advocates. I did one barrel in .357 Maximum, and pretty soon I was regretting that I hadn't left it as a .38 Special.  The whole shebang is boxed up now.  Tried to sell it for 60% of what I have in it.  No takers.   Cry

Still Deplorable

IP Logged

desert-dude
Senior Forum Member

Reply #7 - Apr 23rd, 2017 at 10:13am
Print Post  
I believe JC Winchester SS book vol I mentions epoxy bedding the interface between
the frame and the buttstock. Using epoxy on thru bolt systems should be even better.

Mike Bellum does a good job of promoting the TC's and 357 Maximum. Don't  know if he
works on anything but TC's; and I have not asked. I have a model K FBW just begging
for a barrel. Wink

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Apr 23rd, 2017 at 10:43am
Print Post  
desert-dude wrote on Apr 23rd, 2017 at 10:13am:
I believe JC Winchester SS book vol I mentions epoxy bedding the interface between
the frame and the buttstock. Using epoxy on thru bolt systems should be even better.

Mike Bellum does a good job of promoting the TC's and 357 Maximum.

And himself.  I read his "advice" on how to cure intermittent light strikes in Gen 1 Contenders, all of which involved spending a good deal of money in his store for new this and new that, when the actual fix turns out to be simply stretching the spring that retracts the hammer block, to make it retract faster.  And I bought my own reamer to do my .357 Max for about the same price as he charges to ream a chamber.  Figure in shipping both ways and I saved money.  (Took me less than half an hour to do the job, too.)

Still Deplorable

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint