Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Contemplating move to Tennessee (suburb) (Read 1170 times)
corerftech

Contemplating move to Tennessee (suburb)
May 17th, 2017 at 8:27pm
Print Post  
To all the members here, Im a Californian (conservative one) and have only spent weeks or at most months away from the West Coast.

In the past have contemplated and even put an offer on 225 acres in Winchester VA, farm behind NSSA playground but was beat by $43k on deal.

Bottom line is after all the places I have contemplated RUNNING to from CA---, TN, VA, ID, AZ, TX were all choices (been there), never seen TN.

Wife hates the desert and is fond of CT, VA, MD, NY, etc. Hates TX for the arid conditions.

I have been given an opportunity to sell my business off here and move cleanly to TN, Germantown is the suburb. I know nothing of the state except that is the home to Fedex and to rock and roll, blues, etc. Its awful close to a TON of southern states as neighbors- looking for some feedback from current, past, future residents.

Feedback RE:
Shooting and Hunting
climate
culture

I have an 18 year old in college and a 15 year old freshman. They can both take the move, happily.
Is TN a solid gun toting, castle doctrine, single shot haven??
Are folks goofy or will they accept a goof from the left coast who has a good heart for people, regardless of who, where, when, why???? Ive been to Louisiana and spent 10 days there. I was accepted by black, white, brown equally, I didn't necessarily share their sentiments at all levels, morally, ethically, legally, etc, etc, etc.  But nicer (kind, willing and polite!!) people I don't think I have met. Hoping that is true of the south in general.

Potential launch date is in September. Im scared as hell, at 47 as a 15 year business owner who is gainfully self employed, this is a leap that makes my heart  (a stable organ) absolutely jump out of my chest. A more foreign environment I have not encountered likely.

Id be moving to help plant a church(not pastor)- so that you know why Id dump my life (which I am not fond of here in The Southern Region of the Republik of Kalifornistan as of late)

There is no moving back! CA is Egypt for me.

This move has been made by many of my contemporaries- to MI, MS, FL, etc and I have not been compelled to date. This time, both my wife and I are in agreement (thats rare in regard to "relocation" away from CA) that its the right thing to do and proper timing.

PLEASE HONOR THE RULES of the board, I do NOT wish to generate public discussion of non-shooting, non-single shot topics--. PLEASE PM ME DIRECTLY so that we can maintain the forums standards ON ANY feedback NOT SHOOTING RELATED

IP Logged

scharfe

A good plan today beats
a perfect plan tomorrow.

Re: Contemplating move to Tennessee (suburb)
Reply #1 - May 17th, 2017 at 10:37pm
Print Post  
nice state. I lived in Morristown, married a local girl. nice people, great weather, lots of sites to see. you would be on the opposite side of the state from where I was but I have spent time in the western part of tn and enjoyed it.

IP Logged

KAF
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #2 - May 18th, 2017 at 7:34am
Print Post  
IF I was going to relocate in TN I'd settle in eastern TN like around sevierville.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Folks were extremely friendly and good folk. HUGE difference between eastern TN folks and memphis folks.

Landscape is gourgous. Mountains, streams.  When my wife and I were there around easter some time back a local invited us to easter dinner at their house.  Very friendly, even to us northerners.
« Last Edit: May 18th, 2017 at 8:24am by KAF »  

Keith L 3240

IP Logged

oughtsix
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - May 18th, 2017 at 8:14am
Print Post  
Been to Nashville three times and loved it.  Have friends that live in  Nashville and outside of Knoxville  and really love where they are. Southern hospitality is still alive there.   As far as gun friendly,  the NRA had their annual Meeting there three years ago.  Our journal editor ( 40_Rod on the forum)  lives around the Knoxville area. 
The 5th  or sixth  largest pyramid in the world is in Memphis,  currently home to a Bass ProShop.  It is something to see!

ASSRA Life member, OGCA, TSGC
I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters........ Frank Lloyd Wright

IP Logged

KAF
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #4 - May 18th, 2017 at 8:25am
Print Post  
There are 3 (Three)  different TN's, Eastern, Middle, and Western.

Keith L 3240

IP Logged

Duck_Rider
Junior Forum Member

Reply #5 - May 18th, 2017 at 9:32am
Print Post  
I would second east TN. Lived in Knoxville all my life (72 yrs). 45 minutes from the mountains or numerous lakes. Plenty of places to hunt or fish. The people are friendly & mostly conservative. Good rifle range in Oak Ridge (30 minutes from Knoxville). Hope this helps.

IP Logged

40_Rod
ASSRA Journal Editor

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #6 - May 18th, 2017 at 9:34am
Print Post  
You are looking at the western side of the state. As you move from East to West the state starts out right wing and becomes left as you go west. You are in Democrat country near Memphis. However the State legislature is solidly Republican, something not likely to change in the foreseeable future. There is no income tax here. The state has learned to live with in its means. The gun laws are fairly easy and getting better all the time. I’m a transplant originally from western NY and have never had any problems ever. People here are open and friendly. Keith is right about one thing the areas near the Smoky Mountains is spectacular. Hope you join us soon in a civilized state.

40 Rod

IP Logged

JägerWilhelm
Junior Forum Member

Reply #7 - May 18th, 2017 at 11:40am
Print Post  
Pennsylvania. Made the move last year after retiring from NJ. Visited PA for the last 20+ years after moving my German parents out from NJ. Close enough, but far enough as well, from NYC, Philly, DC, etc should I desire to go there. Now live 30 mins north of Gettysburg.

I would say take your time to decide where to go. Visit the areas you are considering. I made my mind up 14 years ago.

I travelled to most of the states, and lived in about 10 during my military time. I picked PA.

PA has the highest number of NRA membership. Ranges all over the place. I belong to ranges that are 1050, 800, and 70O yards. Lots of gun shows, including great antique arms' shows in Baltimore and Allentown.

Mountains, parks, hunting, fishing, hiking......all over the place. Check out a topo map to see. Extremely gun friendly. Politics can swing due to Philly and Pitts dominating the state.

Gruß,
Willi

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - May 18th, 2017 at 6:48pm
Print Post  
I know far less than 40_Rod does, but I did a lot of business in TN during my working years.  I wholly agree that there are three Tennessees, and I preferred the East by a country mile.  My sister-in-law lives in Nashville, though.  Good hospitals in Nashville, which is a serious matter as we get older.  Lots of social life (and not just the music scene) for the lady.

You might also consider Kentucky, up along the Ohio River.  State is gun-friendly.  Louisville hosts one of the biggest gun shows in the country periodically.  Also gets you pretty close to the Beeson Range. 

Jack of All Trades - Retired

IP Logged

OkeyMaple
Senior Forum Member

ASSRA # 10880

Reply #9 - May 18th, 2017 at 7:35pm
Print Post  
Per my PM ....... NC is Heaven on Earth.
I hear Memphis (W. TN) is "different" from the eastern areas like Knoxville. I have a son in Nashville; but, he's there because of WORK. He says it's OK, but I think he'd rather be back in FL. Folks from K'ville love it there.
Regardless, you must follow your star and I wish you the best.
Sincerely,   Ray

In God We Trust

IP Logged

MDLever

Reply #10 - Jun 15th, 2017 at 8:57am
Print Post  
My daughter lives in Oxford MS but sells medical supplies throughout Memphis area. Said Germantown is great place to live and you are close to some fine medical care. And you can become an Ole Miss football fan! 

I might plug Oxford which is only 74 miles south of Memphis.

IP Logged

40_Rod
ASSRA Journal Editor

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #11 - Jun 16th, 2017 at 8:22am
Print Post  
One other thing I forgot that will pleasantly shock a Californian, I filled up my car yesterday for 1.969 a gallon.

40 Rod

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint