Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Maynard ejector (Read 1798 times)
chipmaker

Re: Maynard ejector
Reply #15 - Jun 29th, 2017 at 7:35pm
Print Post  
Asigel. If you enjoy machining as much or more than shooting, the Maynard offers nearly unlimited possibilities.
Below are a few pictures of a multi barrel Maynard  project that includes a 45 Colt barrel.
For this project, a mono block was fitted to my Maynard and multiple barrels can then be used. After fitting each barrel, they are retained by a screw similar to that used by Stevens on their 44 1/2 actions.The mono block can be made from bar stock or an old barrel can be cut down, using the breech end for a mono block, similar to what Mass. Arms did for their smaller caliber cartridges.
This particular Maynard has the Hadley device, so both rimfire and center fire firing pins can be used. With your Maynard, you would need a second offset barrel or mono block, if you wanted to add a 22 LR barrel.
You can easily see the limited extraction offered by the extractor as compared to the 45 Colt set up.
Otto

IP Logged

ASIEGL
Junior Forum Member

Reply #16 - Jun 30th, 2017 at 7:16pm
Print Post  
Deadeye Bly,
Right now I'm using a Colt sight adjusting disk. The first eight rounds I fired fell out when I tipped up the bbl.. The finger nail trick sounds good since I have not felt any resistance; if I keep the chamber clean I should not break any finger nails.

IP Logged

ASIEGL
Junior Forum Member

Reply #17 - Aug 11th, 2017 at 10:17pm
Print Post  
The continuing saga of my Maynard ejector. I have not worked on the extractor since the last post. I showed the Maynard to a friend and let him shoot it; there was an embarrassing moment when I had to tell him I had to go back in the house to get a little screw driver to extract the case. I was looking at the .575 dovetail blank on the bbl. to mount a sliding ejector. I don't know who put it in, but it would not move. I drilled and tapped two holes in the blank, that gave me enough travel. When I added a return spring that cut the travel in half, still enough to grab case. I took the spring out for now, but if I or anyone else does not return the ejector on the empty chamber bad thing could happen when the action is closed. Heard from another friend the one that fired the rifle wants to buy it, name your price. Right now I love the rifle better than money.

IP Logged

GT

Reply #18 - Aug 11th, 2017 at 11:12pm
Print Post  
" Heard from another friend the one that fired the rifle wants to buy it, name your price. Right now I love the rifle better than money."

Yup, have that problem on a regular basis. Wink  These material things become part of the family.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues." - Abraham Lincoln

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint