Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Maynard ejector (Read 1343 times)
ASIEGL
Junior Forum Member

Maynard ejector
May 18th, 2017 at 7:48pm
Print Post  
On a recent auction I bought a Sharps/Borchardt and a Maynard 35-30 came with it. I do not like wall hangers and pushing a 38spl bullet through the sewer pipe it showed good rifling marks. I made a copy of the original case and chambered it for 38spl. The 148gr HB wad cutter shoots good considering the open sight an the bbl.
This rifle has no ejector, I use a small crew driver to extract the case. Can someone send me a drawing of the ejector and I will try to make it work on just the .38 rim . I bushed the firing pin and case hardened the receiver and a lot of other work. It's no longer a wall hanger. serial # don't match and I have no idea about the deep scratches on receiver, gave up when some got deeper as I removed metal. It's fun to shoot and any help on the ejector will be appreciated.

IP Logged

Kurt_701
Oldtimer

Re: Maynard ejector
Reply #1 - May 18th, 2017 at 8:08pm
Print Post  
Adolf is a friend. Here are some pictures, he sent me.  He is a very talented self taught machinist.

M-14 3rd Battalion 27th Marines RVN 68'69'

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - May 19th, 2017 at 10:36am
Print Post  
I'm not exactly a Maynard authority, but I've read Layman's book on the rifles.

The 1873 model used the odd, large headed cartridges.  Many of these were made up from the percussion Civil War carbines.  The sling ring on yours suggests that you have one of these.

As far as I know, these rifles had no extractors as such.  The large rim allowed the shooter to pick the case out with his fingers.

The later 1881 model had a breech face closer to the barrel breech and used cartridges with normal rims.  It had an extractor fitted into the bottom of the barrel.  There is only a copy of the woodcut of the sectional drawing of the 1881 model in Layman's book.  It appears that the link activates the extractor when the barrel tips down, but I'm not really sure how it works.

My scanner only works as a page aligner for new ink cartridges, so I can't do a scan of the woodcut.  It may be available on Line somewhere.

You could perhaps fit one of these extractors to your rifle, with enough extension to go through the slot on your supplemental chamber, but to my mind, you are doing well with your screwdriver method.  Weak extraction was a complaint on the 1881 model, so you may be in line for a lot of extra work and fitting for little gain in actual firepower.

The .22 inserts sold for BPCR Silhouette rifles that allow their owners to participate in .22 BPCR Silhouette also require a screwdriver to dig out the spent case.  The shooters have no trouble getting them out in the time allowed for shooting.

IP Logged

ASIEGL
Junior Forum Member

Reply #3 - May 19th, 2017 at 5:24pm
Print Post  
Thank you for the reply. My problem is, I like working on guns better than shooting them. The screw driver works good, and since the insert is not all that tight, I might just create another problem if I have hard extraction, will leave well enough alone for now.  Adolf

IP Logged

John Taylor
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - May 21st, 2017 at 10:19am
Print Post  
Was think a sliding extractor like on a Frank Wesson but you probably don't want to alter your rifle.

John Taylor   Machinist/gunsmith
IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - May 21st, 2017 at 10:30am
Print Post  
Does your 38 spl chamber sleeve slip out easily ?   If so may be easier to remove the sleeve empty case and all knock the empty out with a knock out rod reload and insert.

As I recall some shotgun sub chamber insets work that way.  Fitted full barrel length shotgun sub gauge tubes will extract, but they are activated by the large shells extractor. You action was never fitted with the extractor.

Be a lot of trouble start from scratch but if you want the challenge look at inexpensive single barrel shotgun extractor designs.

Boats

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - May 21st, 2017 at 10:49am
Print Post  
Just looked at my Grandsons H&R youth 20 G exposed hammer.  The ejector (yes it ejects ) rides in the lug under the barrel spring loaded cocks on closing open the breech the ejector has a sear sort of arrangement that trips ejecting the shell.

If you could find a junk barrel and fabricate the entire lug would seem to be possible.  Nice like your gun is I don't think I would cut it up just to eject.

Boats

IP Logged

ASIEGL
Junior Forum Member

Reply #7 - May 21st, 2017 at 12:04pm
Print Post  
Even though it's a parts gun, I like to keep it close to original.
The junk bbl. is an idea.
« Last Edit: May 21st, 2017 at 1:11pm by ASIEGL »  

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - May 21st, 2017 at 12:53pm
Print Post  
Agree only way I would want to try it would be with a donor junk barrel.

Boats

IP Logged

830singleshot
Junior Forum Member

Reply #9 - May 21st, 2017 at 7:06pm
Print Post  
You stated your barrel looked like a sewer pipe.  Why not have it relined with a .357 liner and chambered in 38 special.  Use your existing chamber insert cut off so it is a glorified washer to easily extract the case as it was originally done.
It keeps it close to the original caliber and will make extraction a non issue and turn it into something easily used.

J. Scott McCash&&New Braunfels, TX&&830-237-2376&&jsmccash@yahoo.com

IP Logged

Deadeye Bly
Oldtimer

Reply #10 - May 21st, 2017 at 9:45pm
Print Post  
That's an 1873 Maynard and the groove diameter was generally .368 or larger. I'm surprised that it shoots as well as it does. Maynard cartridge retractors usually only bring the cartridge back about .070". It is actuated by a tit on the top of the link. I have waterjet cut retractor blanks in O-1 tool steel. PM me for any additional information.

IP Logged

ASIEGL
Junior Forum Member

Reply #11 - Jun 29th, 2017 at 9:46am
Print Post  
To John Taylor and everyone that gave me some good advice on my project.
The only reason the rifle shot as well as it did was the hollow base wad cutter bullets. Got a TJ,s .357 liner and soft soldered the headspace washer to the liner with the extractor slot on top. Deadeye Bly sent me a retractor, did not take that much to fit but like he said the travel is .070-.o80. With a recessed rim .055 that does not give anything to get a hold of. The sliding extractor is the way to go, but I did not want to drill and tap the bbl. Will have to keep small screw driver handy. A .357 Mag reamer is all I had, right now I'll stick with 38spl.
I need to find a globe front sight, my eyes and open sights is not a good combination to see how good the rifle shoots.
Thanks, Adolf

IP Logged

chipmaker

Reply #12 - Jun 29th, 2017 at 1:24pm
Print Post  
I had a similar project working on a shot out Maynard barrel. After lining the barrel with a 38 Sp/357 liner, I fitter the large 1873 style head to the action and then used the chambering reamer to counter sink the rim. In chambering the barrel, I used the chambering reamer with the washer in place to set the final depth.
In use, you just insert the 38Sp/357Mag cartridge into the washer and insert into the barrel. After firing, the spent case is easily removed from the washer and a new cartridge inserted. No need for an extractor.
Otto

IP Logged

coljimmy

Reply #13 - Jun 29th, 2017 at 2:15pm
Print Post  
As far as bore size, I had a similar challenge with a 38XL rimfire sporting rolling block.  The first miracle was when I found a centerfire roller at a nearby gunsmith's old stuff box, then laid in ambush for a number 8 Ideal 38 L.I.L tool with a hollow base mold.  Then found some 357 maximum cases and I was in business.  I see about one or two of those tools on ebay every year.

James

IP Logged

Deadeye Bly
Oldtimer

Reply #14 - Jun 29th, 2017 at 4:50pm
Print Post  
Make the counterbore for the rim a larger diameter. Then you can get your fingernails under the rim to pull it out. That's how all the Maynard rimfire barrels are. The breech end of the barrel goes all the way to the breech face in those.

On the '73 and '82 centerfire barrels the breech end of the barrel stops the thickness of the rim away from the breech face. Then the retractor pulls the empty cartridge back far enough to grab it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint