Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) cc johnson rifle (Read 3934 times)
Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"

Re: cc johnson rifle
Reply #60 - Jul 15th, 2017 at 9:43am
Print Post  
My path has intersected with the CCJ tradition a few times starting with a high wall varmint gun I bought back in the early '90s.  At first glance it had one of the two ugliest stocks I've ever seen on a high wall, which of course he had no hand in.  He had built a round 22 R barrel (not a reline) along with a no-safety-notch, speed locked, single set trigger, and it worked quite well except the bore was solidly blocked about midway through and irreparable.  I just used the action with recovered original wood and original 38-55 bbl I found to build a shooter for a friend of mine. I wish I could have exterminated a few VA groundhogs with it in varmint trim, but that was never to be.

Then I got interested in the Red Head presses which nicely complemented my vintage little Lyman stuff, and I bought one of those.  Kinda cool and in the range built by CCJ.

Finally, I got really lucky and ran into Jerry Johnson at Etna Green at a Nationals, and really was able to connect with the CCJ tradition in a big way. Jerry shared his time and memories with me, showing me "family guns" from his father and grandfather as well as the work files he mentioned previously and some goodies from the Red Head project as well.

Charles C Johnson was a fascinating man, very talented and contributing a great deal to our sport with both his gun work and his manufacture of affordable reloading equipment as well.  I've enjoyed getting to "know" him, even second handedly.

Froggie

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 
Send TopicPrint