Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Old scope I.D. and help. (Read 998 times)
only1shot
Junior Forum Member

Old scope I.D. and help.
Jul 17th, 2017 at 2:31pm
Print Post  
  Hi all:
I recently purchased a rifle scope that looks like one of the old Winchester scopes. It measures 18" long and has no manufactures markings. It is marked 8-X and has what appear to be parallax markings that are marked 50 FT: on one line and  200 YDS.& OVER on another line.

The scope came with scope mounts, but no scope blocks. Also, the rear micrometer scope mount is missing the knurled 8-40 tpi. clamping screw. I could really use some help finding these parts.
I would like to mount this scope on my Chiappa Little Sharps .44-40 rifle. The three sets of tapped holes in the barrel each measure . 860" center to center and are tapped 6-40 tpi..
When I sit the scope mounts on a flat plate, the angle on each side is 54 degrees where they would clamp to the mounting blocks and the width of the narrowest point where they would clamp to the mounting blocks is .480".
I would also like to know if it is possible to re-color the scope to the original gun metal blue color? The scope is brass with lots of years of scratches but no dents. The lenses are very clear and the cross hairs are in excellent shape.
I paid $30.00 for the scope, so this may be an inexpensive way to add a "Buffalo rifle" look to my Little Sharps. I might even be able to hit my 8 1/2"x 11" Buffalo targets at 100 yards! Since I was a kid, I wanted to hunt Buffalo with a Sharps rifle.
Any help would be appreciated.                        
    Thank you,
         Bill.

IP Logged

Chris C
Senior Forum Member

Re: Old scope I.D. and help.
Reply #1 - Jul 17th, 2017 at 2:36pm
Print Post  
Pictures help as much as descriptions.

IP Logged

only1shot
Junior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Jul 17th, 2017 at 2:37pm
Print Post  
The scope looks like the one on the Winchester low wall three posts below mine "The family that shoots together".
  Bill.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jul 17th, 2017 at 3:29pm
Print Post  
All these Winchester mounts will fit Lyman & Unertl style blocks, so that's not a problem, but good luck finding the missing screw.  Even considering that defect, you bought it at bargain price.

Original finish was black enamel.

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jul 17th, 2017 at 7:58pm
Print Post  
I believe what you have is a scope that was originally made for the Win Mod 75. It could be had on other Win models but, that's what it was made for.

It is a Winchester scope but, NOT made by Win. You did get a very good deal, too.

The original mounts are a real odd ball and only fit a special Win type scope block that is close to .600 wide.

All is not lost though. Marlin, Wallensak and Mossberg mounts will fit it and work, very well.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

J Louis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Jul 17th, 2017 at 8:22pm
Print Post  
Frank is a self proclaimed Aero Space class machinest and I find it odd that he would not offer to make you that missing clamp down screw for you to even be able to use it. Maybe he simply missed out on that need and he can still be more of a help to you in that regard?

JLouis

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Jul 17th, 2017 at 8:57pm
Print Post  
Birchwood Casey sells a "Brass Black" that should get your brass telescope sight back to somewhere near the original color.

I think it's Steve Earle who makes the custom sized scope blocks.  He may be able to make your clamping screw as well.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Jul 17th, 2017 at 8:57pm
Print Post  
frnkeore wrote on Jul 17th, 2017 at 7:58pm:
The original mounts are a real odd ball and only fit a special Win type scope block that is close to .600 wide.Frank

Frank, You mean they won't fit the same blocks used for A5s?

Strange that Win. would make this change in dimensions after previously manufacturing the "standard" size.  The mounts, I've always assumed, were the only parts produced by Win., but considering that some, like this one, are unmarked, they may also have been contracted out.  Regardless of where they were built, they're probably the crudest mounts ever produced, so replacing them entirely is a good idea.
« Last Edit: Jul 17th, 2017 at 9:04pm by Redsetter »  

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence

Reply #8 - Jul 18th, 2017 at 12:52am
Print Post  
Birchwood Casey sells a "Brass Black" that should get your brass telescope sight back to somewhere near the original color.

With patience, "Brass Black" can do an adequate job, though it's difficult to control streakiness on large surfaces.  My own preference is for the metal coloring solutions from Caswell (google their web site) which in my experience give a darker, more even, and much more durable finish, making them well worth the extra cost.

Also, if you do choose to reblacken your scope tube chemically rather than with paint, don't forget to first remove all traces of the original finish.  And if you can't remove the scope's innards, be very, very careful that none of the solution gets inside.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

blunderbus41
Junior Forum Member

Reply #9 - Jul 18th, 2017 at 7:34am
Print Post  
you have the Winchester A-8 scope made by Lyman. I bought one three years ago complete with good mounts and paid a h... of a lot more for it. Very pleased with it ; I used DZ mounts and have it combined with a rebuilt Remington #1 sporter  in .22cal  lined with a TJ insert. very pleased with this combo and will use it on .22 BPCR sillywet. john

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Jul 18th, 2017 at 9:32am
Print Post  
blunderbus41 wrote on Jul 18th, 2017 at 7:34am:
you have the Winchester A-8 scope made by Lyman.

Lyman never produced brass-tube scopes.  Winchester records indicate it (the telescope at least, perhaps not the mounts) was mfg. first by the Carolyn Scope Co., and after that small company went out of business, the Saymon-Brown Optical Co., until wartime production demands killed it (and the other brass-tube Win. models) for good.   

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #11 - Jul 18th, 2017 at 10:51am
Print Post  
The later Winchester scopes offered in 8x magnification use an oddball base. I had Whitey Hansen build me a bunch before he passed and still have numerous pairs, but they are not drilled and recessed for mounting screws.
I have two of the old 8x Win. scopes and the quality of the optics is very good for an inexpensive scope. The finish on these old Win. scopes was not blued or blackened. They had a greenish tint, which was the result of chemically blackening the brass tubes.

Vall
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Jul 18th, 2017 at 10:51am
Print Post  
This is what the original Win 8x mounts and blocks look like.

If you use the front mount on a rifle that has any recoil, you most likely knock the X hairs out.

The hole spacing for the blocks is .565 so, you would need to add at lest one hole to your current tapped holes.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Jul 18th, 2017 at 11:22am
Print Post  
frnkeore wrote on Jul 18th, 2017 at 10:51am:
If you use the front mount on a rifle that has any recoil, you most likely knock the X hairs out.

Frank

But if so the shooter had no right to complain, because ".22 Rifle Telescopes" is what they were called in Win. advertising for them.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #14 - Jul 18th, 2017 at 12:03pm
Print Post  
Better to have custom blocks made to fit your gun than to D&T extra holes in your gun.

Vall
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint