Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Test 2 jog box off iPad (Read 491 times)
boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Test 2 jog box off iPad
Jul 17th, 2017 at 3:21pm
Print Post  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Test 2 jog box off iPad
Reply #1 - Jul 17th, 2017 at 4:00pm
Print Post  
Nice photo, Boats. I did a little reaving, but on steel cable for ski lifts. That's a big eye.

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Happiness is a warm gun.
J.Lennon

Reply #2 - Jul 17th, 2017 at 4:42pm
Print Post  
looks like Rebel's leash.
Aaron

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence.

IP Logged

Nero
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Jul 17th, 2017 at 5:29pm
Print Post  
Chatham Dockyard?

IP Logged

J Louis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jul 17th, 2017 at 6:36pm
Print Post  
Learned to back braid when I was 18 and as truck driver at the time it was the way I treated all my tie down ropes minus the steel eyes. Each rope was only long enough to go over the load once. Threw them all over from one side and tied them on the other. When untying a quick flip of the rope would take the eye of the rope off the hook on the opposite side. I could then untie and roll up all of the ropes from just the one side a very quick and simple process.

JLouis

IP Logged

JS47
Oldtimer

Member # 10889

Reply #5 - Jul 17th, 2017 at 8:16pm
Print Post  
I was a BM3 on Destroyers in the Navy. I spliced a few mooring lines but nothing quite that big!

JS

"I'll be happy to contribute to the wolf recovery program, 180 grains at a time"  Unknown western rancher

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Jul 17th, 2017 at 9:59pm
Print Post  
It's just a photo I pulled off the internet years ago. British Merchant Mariners I think .

Out of boot camp in the CG first boat was a Ocean Salvage Tug. CGC Cherokee.  Chief found out I had been a Sea Scout & knew something about marlinspike seamanship, gave me all kinds of splicing and other sailor work. She was a fine boat powerful & well equipped for any job. 4 EMD 12 cyl engines  1000"hp each. Extensive salvage gear. Carried a Almon Johnson Towing Winch main drum 6 feet diameter 4 feet wide 3000 feet of 3 inch wire. Auxiliary drums either side  for lighter wire.Great place to learn how to work. CG gives all those jobs to commercial tugs now.

Will see if I can find her picture

Boats
« Last Edit: Jul 17th, 2017 at 10:08pm by boats »  

IP Logged

Mike65

Reply #7 - Jul 18th, 2017 at 7:52am
Print Post  
The photo is on gCaptain along with some other ones.  The caption on the photo reads, "Worker splicing 20″ hemp cable at HMC Dockyard in 1941 image courtesy Library and Archives Canada."

Mike
RD2 USN 66-70 USS Richmond K. Turner DLG 20

We are seldom as smart as we think nor as dumb as others believe.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Jul 18th, 2017 at 9:39am
Print Post  
I look at GCaptain, the Loadstar, Tradewinds and one or two other maritime sites every morning.  Still in shipping, big ones now and don't go to sea.  Reports on a computer about closest I get to a ship , except local Launch Company has two ex CG 41 foot UTB's.  I am on call when they run out of operators.  Nice boats fast comfortable and they air conditioned them !

Boats

IP Logged

oughtsix
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #9 - Jul 18th, 2017 at 9:43am
Print Post  
Thought it was the intestines from a Kracken

ASSRA Life member, OGCA, TSGC
I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters........ Frank Lloyd Wright

IP Logged

Mike65

Re: Test 2 jog box off iPad USN
Reply #10 - Jul 18th, 2017 at 3:40pm
Print Post  
Boats,

I check gCaptain 2-3 times a week just out of curiosity.  I didn't know about the other two sites so thanks for that.

It's interesting to read the articles on the Fitzgerald.  I can't say that I agree with some of the opinions re: USN fault.  Knowing the way we used to handle radar navigation and advising the bridge I can't imagine how the CIC watch let anyone get that close to the ship without screaming bloody murder.

Mike

We are seldom as smart as we think nor as dumb as others believe.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Jul 18th, 2017 at 8:08pm
Print Post  
Trade winds is expensive as is Lloyds List.  Splash 24/7 is free and good from a Greek point of view. Best to read all the sites and make up you own mind.

Try Marinetraffic,com for ship tracking, I have to keep up with certain ships, it's invaluable

On the Fitzgerald.  Don't know what the Navy situation was but Filipino Sailors are very good with lots of experience. given she was the privileged vessel hard for me to believe the container ship was at fault.

Boats

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint