Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Eclipse (Read 3564 times)
Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Happiness is a warm gun.
J.Lennon

Eclipse
Jul 26th, 2017 at 8:13am
Print Post  
Amazon has 10 pair of viewing glasses for $9 ship included.
They look like the old 3D glasses from the movies, but different color "lenses".
Aaron

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence.

IP Logged

40_Rod
ASSRA Journal Editor

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Re: Eclipse
Reply #1 - Jul 26th, 2017 at 9:28am
Print Post  
Hang on You got time yet. I'll bet that you can get them free with a big Mac a week before the eclipse. If not just dig out your welding goggles.

40 Rod

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #2 - Jul 26th, 2017 at 12:06pm
Print Post  
40_Rod wrote on Jul 26th, 2017 at 9:28am:
Hang on You got time yet. I'll bet that you can get them free with a big Mac a week before the eclipse. If not just dig out your welding goggles.

40 Rod

Yeah, I've got a couple hand held shields for watching welding, plus my auto darkening helmet. Figure I'll equip myself and the family if anyone wants to go outside and look up.

Vall
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

George Babits
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Jul 26th, 2017 at 1:39pm
Print Post  
If you think back to your cub scout days in the first half of the 1950s, you should remember that a heavily smoked piece of glass will do the job just fine.  But I guess holding a 4-6" square of class over a burning candle is much too dangerous.  A pin hole in a pice of black pape can also be used to project the sun onto another piece of paper.  That might be dangerous too because, at the mention of a pin hole, someone would look through the pin hole instead of projecting the image.  But, then they could sue both the paper maker,  the pin maker, and the poor guy who suggested the idea.

I saw a site on the web where you can find what you will see depending on your location.  For here is is a 98% coverage of the sun.  And I don't even have to go chasing the sun.

George
Salmon, Idaho

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jul 26th, 2017 at 1:47pm
Print Post  
Last eclipse I was present for (partial at our location) we broke the cover slides off of 3 1/4" floppy disks and looked through the medium. Just about the right density.   I doubt that they did much UV filtering, but none of us were into staring at the sun for more than a few seconds at a time.  Partials are boring. 

My Idaho friend in the Wood River region tells me that the Sheriff's Dept. is predicting up to 100,000 daytrippers trying to congregate  between Galena Summit and Stanley where it will pass.  There's only one way to get there, and it's a two-lane road almost all the way from Twin Falls.  Traffic is gonna be UNcredible, especially through the towns.  She's planning on hunkering down.  Block her driveway with her motor home, stock in food and liquor, like the whole "prepper" bit, and she's 40 road miles south of the main event.
« Last Edit: Jul 26th, 2017 at 1:55pm by uscra112 »  

Jack of All Trades - Retired

IP Logged

KAF
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #5 - Jul 26th, 2017 at 2:21pm
Print Post  
I bet there will be real nice coverage of the whole thing via TV, and no special glasses needed.

It will get a bit darker outside your house depending on your location........

Keith L 3240

IP Logged

oneatatime
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Jul 26th, 2017 at 3:44pm
Print Post  
Here's the professional word on viewing: First and foremost, safety should be your top priority. The ONLY time you can safely look at the Sun without having to use a safe and certified solar filter is during the brief couple minutes or so of totality. All other times - even when the Sun is as much as 99% obscured - you MUST use a safe solar filter. The latter includes dedicated filters for telescopes and binoculars, eclipse glasses, and various projection methods. If you don't have access to a certified solar filter, you can use #14 welders glass (DO NOT use any grade lower than #14, because it may not effectively block all harmful wavelengths). Also, don't use regular sunglasses, CDs or DVDs, neutral density filters (even stacked ND filters), or other "tricks" for looking at the Sun. NASA has some safety tips on their web site at (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

bohemianway
Senior Forum Member

Reply #7 - Jul 26th, 2017 at 8:36pm
Print Post  
Back before digital photography we were told to develop unexposed film and use the negative as the viewing filter. That and "duck and cover" where considered effective.

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Happiness is a warm gun.
J.Lennon

Reply #8 - Jul 26th, 2017 at 9:12pm
Print Post  
Your eyes are to precious to screw around with makeshift filters.
Specially when the right stuff is less than a buck.
Aaron

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence.

IP Logged

JS47
Oldtimer

Member # 10889

Reply #9 - Jul 26th, 2017 at 10:37pm
Print Post  
I wonder if it could be viewed with a magnifying glass focused on a sheet of white paper? It would be very dangerous though because of the chance of starting the paper on fire. Anyone besides me remember making bugs pop with a magnifying glass on a sunny day?

JS

"I'll be happy to contribute to the wolf recovery program, 180 grains at a time"  Unknown western rancher

IP Logged

John Taylor
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Jul 26th, 2017 at 11:46pm
Print Post  
When I was a kid we were taught to use a box with a very small hole. The box would have a white piece of paper in the bottom and the small hole at the top was like the old pin hole camera. Also needed a hole to look inside the box. What you got was an upside down picture of what was going on and no chance of messing up your eyes.
Pin hole cameras were a project that we had in the 7th grade. The lens was a piece of tin foil with a pin hole. The box was made from heavy construction paper and painted black on the inside. The was a little flap in the back for inserting the film ( in the dark room). The "shutter" was a cork. You set the camera up, pulled the cork out and waited about 2 minutes and then put the cork back in. Back in the dark room the film was taken out of the camera and developed.

John Taylor   Machinist/gunsmith
IP Logged

Old-Win
Oldtimer

Reply #11 - Jul 27th, 2017 at 3:59pm
Print Post  
George, You bring back memories from when my brother and I were watching it in the 1950s. We were out in the old chicken coop early in the morning, smoking a piece of glass but we never got the second piece done before the eclipse took place. My brother was older and I ended up looking between my fingers.  I now have scarring on the retina and have aout 400 vision in that eye. I'll never forget it. Bob

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Jul 27th, 2017 at 7:51pm
Print Post  
JS47 wrote on Jul 26th, 2017 at 10:37pm:
I wonder if it could be viewed with a magnifying glass focused on a sheet of white paper? It would be very dangerous though because of the chance of starting the paper on fire. Anyone besides me remember making bugs pop with a magnifying glass on a sunny day?

JS

We did that for fun and pest control  Cheesy

A few range fires were blamed on broken glass since there was no electrical power source under clear blue skies with temps of 100 plus in the high desert of southern Idaho.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

desert-dude
Senior Forum Member

Reply #13 - Jul 27th, 2017 at 10:43pm
Print Post  
Pinhole cameras have a small enough f-stop to give good viewing when
projected onto a piece of paper. IIRC safe enough for white paper.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #14 - Jul 28th, 2017 at 11:04am
Print Post  
Schuetzenmiester wrote on Jul 27th, 2017 at 7:51pm:
A few range fires were blamed on broken glass since there was no electrical power source under clear blue skies with temps of 100 plus in the high desert of southern Idaho.

Ain't that the truth! If there's any electricity within a mile of a fire, it's always blamed as the source! Amazing how many overloaded plug strips get reported as "faulty wiring" by the news media! Wish they'd use the correct term of "homeowner abuse" when electrical fires are the owner's bad habits.

Vall
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Send TopicPrint