Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Eclipse (Read 3580 times)
GT

Re: Eclipse
Reply #30 - Aug 2nd, 2017 at 5:38pm
Print Post  
I'm going to take advantage of the confusion this plays in the prairie poodle colonies... They become confused and aren't sure whether it's day or night -   How am I going to mount night vision to the vernier sights on my high-wall?  Huh

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues." - Abraham Lincoln

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Happiness is a warm gun.
J.Lennon

Reply #31 - Aug 2nd, 2017 at 5:50pm
Print Post  
Gorilla Tape.
Aaron

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #32 - Aug 2nd, 2017 at 7:31pm
Print Post  
Rebel wrote on Aug 2nd, 2017 at 4:46pm:
Difference is the eclipse will happen.
Aaron

Just like Jan. 1, 2000 happened. But just like Y2K the eclipse will be nothing else but what it is. The world will go on, the sun will return, no huge crowds camping in fields for $1,000 ea., and there wont be highways full of fools jamming up traffic.

Some people have actually cancelled other plans for the weekend before because they're afraid they wont get home on Monday with the fear of traffic jams! We've had a half dozen people cancel their tables at our big collector's show that weekend, and based it on that very fear.
So even guys we thought were normal are eating up this crazy crap.

Vall
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

JS47
Oldtimer

Member # 10889

Reply #33 - Aug 2nd, 2017 at 10:16pm
Print Post  
Fear can be a funny thing. Back in the 70's during the oil, sugar, and a few other shortages, a local disc jockey in Salem, Oregon just happened to mention that he hoped there wasn't a shortage of toilet paper. Now this ain't no sh*t, but I went into a Payless drug store a day later and the locals had cleaned out every roll of toilet paper! Yep, fear can be a funny thing.

JS

"I'll be happy to contribute to the wolf recovery program, 180 grains at a time"  Unknown western rancher

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #34 - Aug 2nd, 2017 at 10:46pm
Print Post  
My grandpa told of a girl hired to work in the local mercantile about 1900.  Toilet paper was new on the market.  The girls was told to try to substitute if they were out of a product.  A customer asked for TP.  They didn't have any, but she said they had lots of sandpaper  Grin

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Happiness is a warm gun.
J.Lennon

Reply #35 - Aug 3rd, 2017 at 11:42am
Print Post  
A customer asked for TP.  They didn't have any, but she said they had lots of sandpaper.
Some guys just need to make abrasive comments.
Aaron
« Last Edit: Aug 3rd, 2017 at 11:53am by Rebel »  

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence.

IP Logged

George Babits
Oldtimer

Reply #36 - Aug 3rd, 2017 at 12:50pm
Print Post  
Actually what was happening with the TP in Oregon at that time was that the Jap sailors were buying it all up and taking it to Japan to sell.  That was happening in both Portland and Seattle.   The "gas shortage" was really a market test as there were tankers being held off shore.  Big oil just wanted to see how far they could drive the price up.  I remember waiting in line for $0.75/gallon gas and being limited to only 5 gallons.  Must have been around 1973/4.  Now that it is $2.70/gal there aren't any lines.

George

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Happiness is a warm gun.
J.Lennon

Reply #37 - Aug 3rd, 2017 at 1:22pm
Print Post  
Guys at that time swore if gas got to a buck, they'd stop driving.
You could hardly give away a nice Cadillac.
87 octane is currently about $2.19 around Daytona, a bit less in Orlando.
Aaron
« Last Edit: Aug 3rd, 2017 at 1:35pm by Rebel »  

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #38 - Aug 17th, 2017 at 2:43am
Print Post  
Looks like it will be a zoo.  Campgrounds and motels sold out in southern Idaho.   Some people are renting out rooms in their houses and camping space for tents on their lawns.  One lady told me a friend is flying in from Brussels!

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #39 - Aug 17th, 2017 at 6:44am
Print Post  
Friend in Bellevue ID told me that the Atkinson's in Bellevue has stacked nearly a semi-load of bottled water, and the EMTs are stocked up on rattlesnake anti-venom  Shocked   Big fear is that a careless visitor will spark another massive brush fire.  (A fire south of her, general vicinity of Shoshone, burned over 60,000 acres last week.)  Gasoline is another commodity that will run short.  Only a few stations from Bellevue to Ketchum, and if 75 is congested they can't be resupplied.   She's a New England girl, so treating it like an impending hurricane - plan to be 100% self-sufficient for at least a week.
« Last Edit: Aug 17th, 2017 at 7:03am by uscra112 »  

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #40 - Aug 17th, 2017 at 6:59am
Print Post  
Schuetzenmiester wrote on Aug 17th, 2017 at 2:43am:
Looks like it will be a zoo.  Campgrounds and motels sold out in southern Idaho.   Some people are renting out rooms in their houses and camping space for tents on their lawns.  One lady told me a friend is flying in from Brussels!

The path goes right over Ketchum, playground of the extreme upper edge of the 1%.  Only place to fly in is a small airport in Hailey, which is gonna be bulging with private jets. 

Another hindrance I forgot to mention is that the whole of the upper Wood River valley is very smoky, due to forest fires farther north and west.  Her visibility is often down to 1/2 mile from her north-facing windows.

IP Logged

jy3855
Senior Forum Member

Reply #41 - Aug 17th, 2017 at 9:30am
Print Post  
Aaron,

The eclipse is an interesting natural phenomenon, and I might make pinhole box to view it, but it's not going to be total here, so I doubt I'd see the corona with glasses. I've watched several eclipses with interest. I love watching the grandeur, power, and quirkiness of nature.  But I'm not going to drive 500 miles and wade through throngs of eclipse watchers to see a total eclipse.

What gets me is just how silly some people can be.  On the news last night a young couple who had flown here from Australia were interviewed. Talked like they'd taken one too many acid trips.  The gal was all bubbly about the eclipse... "It's like a Unity thing, the sun and the moon getting together" as she goes all dreamy-eyed.

I'm not flying across the globe to watch a total eclipse - I'd rather spend my money on a nice Stevens 44 or a Hepburn  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

George Babits
Oldtimer

Reply #42 - Aug 17th, 2017 at 9:56am
Print Post  
Eclipcticphools  is what they are.

We are north of the totality line, but the coverage will be around 98%.  We were on the fringes of an eclipse about 1980 give or take a year or so.  Maybe the combined gravitational pull of the sun and moon working together will pull the cork on Mount Hood as the eclipse line passes over Portland. Mount St.Helen blew her top in June of 1980.  I wonder if that was when the eclipse was.

Maybe I can get a new line of ecliptical paranoia going here!!

George

IP Logged

desert-dude
Senior Forum Member

Reply #43 - Aug 17th, 2017 at 10:16am
Print Post  
Having witnessed a couple of eclipses: indeed they are interesting but
I found the occlusion of the sun from St. Helens ash at least as interesting and
a bit more threatening as we didn't know when it was  going to go away.
Reddish glow; dead quiet except for the sand raining down.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #44 - Aug 17th, 2017 at 11:52am
Print Post  
George, That one was 1978. Just saw an article about what a zoo it was in SE Washington.  Seattle was overcast so the sky just darkened and The street lights came on  Cheesy

High tides are thought to be a factor in earth quakes.  Good point about the combined edge of the sun and moon.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Send TopicPrint