Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Eclipse (Read 3581 times)
marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: Eclipse
Reply #45 - Aug 17th, 2017 at 1:02pm
Print Post  
desert-dude wrote on Aug 17th, 2017 at 10:16am:
Having witnessed a couple of eclipses: indeed they are interesting but
I found the occlusion of the sun from St. Helens ash at least as interesting and
a bit more threatening as we didn't know when it was  going to go away.
Reddish glow; dead quiet except for the sand raining down.

A lot tougher on people and vehicles/equipment than an eclipse of the sun too!

Vall
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #46 - Aug 17th, 2017 at 2:19pm
Print Post  
A quick glance at the tide tables.  It isn't any more extreme than the July high. 

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #47 - Aug 17th, 2017 at 3:40pm
Print Post  
Just got off the phone with my Bellevue friend.  We were vamping on the volume of.....aaaah.......poo that will be added to the environment.  Not nearly enough public restrooms.  Visualizing rafts of porta-potties being flown in by cargo helicopters....or heaved out the back of C-130s on parachutes.   

Think about it - we guesstimated 70 TONS of additional poo per day.   Shocked   Didn't want to even think about the volume of disposable diapers. 

Then she got on dogs.  Estimated 15 tons of DOG poo per diem. 

IP Logged

George Babits
Oldtimer

Reply #48 - Aug 17th, 2017 at 5:11pm
Print Post  
Ain't it great!  And they, like all good warm, fuzzy, and zen-full people, will leave the mess behind for someone else to clean up.   But after all, don't we owe it to them?

I'm just staying home.  Too bad the shooting light will be gone for a couple of hours Monday.

George
Salmon, Idaho

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Happiness is a warm gun.
J.Lennon

Reply #49 - Aug 17th, 2017 at 5:58pm
Print Post  
John,
I wouldn't drive any distance to see it or get caught up in a raft of hippies, but I will journey to my front yard with my buck eclipse glasses and take a look. I agree with you on the awesomeness of these things. Why wouldn't anyone take a peek?

Phil, you must have a lot of time on your hands to compute these things. Here's a pic of some folks at the dog park checking out the same subject. Rebel, not responsible for it, seems interested too.
Aaron
« Last Edit: Aug 17th, 2017 at 6:09pm by Rebel »  

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #50 - Aug 17th, 2017 at 6:27pm
Print Post  
Joe (Westerner) will be right in the thick of it.  He's at Arco.  Wonder where Joe is?  Undecided  Maybe cashing a month's worth of survival gear to be on the safe side.  If there is a fuel shortage, he might not be able to get out to matches  Cry++

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #51 - Aug 17th, 2017 at 7:34pm
Print Post  
desert-dude wrote on Aug 17th, 2017 at 10:16am:
Having witnessed a couple of eclipses: indeed they are interesting but
I found the occlusion of the sun from St. Helens ash at least as interesting and
a bit more threatening as we didn't know when it was  going to go away.
Reddish glow; dead quiet except for the sand raining down.

The St. Helens ash clouds were interesting, and the cousins got mailed packages of St. Helens ash that fell on our place.
Was listening to the radio last night while a fella was discussing  plate tectonic activities that had occurred and/or increased in particular global regions that had been previously occluded.
He was saying that St. Helens had been dormant for thousands of years, and then couple of years following a partial occlusion, the volcano became active again. Seems that the big Madrid quake in the Midwest during the early 1800's occurred not too long after an occlusion.
He went on to say that the upcoming occlusion will pass over the Cascadia Subduction Zone and part of the northern San Andreas Fault zone, over the Yellowstone Caldera, over the Madrid Fault zone, and over a couple other areas in the eastern U.S.
No guarantee anything will happen, but the info he had collected and talked about was interesting.

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #52 - Aug 18th, 2017 at 12:27am
Print Post  
BP, Maybe nothing will happen, but then the western US may disappear!  Undecided  A coordinated Cascadia quake and Yellowstone Caldera event would be really spectacular.   

Meanwhile, there is a 30 mile eclipse backup in Prineville, Oregon

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #53 - Aug 18th, 2017 at 12:36am
Print Post  
Woo-Hoo!    Gonna be just like Woodstock!     Shocked

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #54 - Aug 18th, 2017 at 12:45am
Print Post  
Woodstock on steroids  Grin  It was only a few hundred acres.  This is shaping up to be 60 mile wide swath across the continent.  Shocked

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #55 - Aug 18th, 2017 at 10:24am
Print Post  
Well the news is hyping it enough to ensure mass hysteria. And local businesses are investing in enough tourist junk art in hopes of cashing in  big time on the event. Going to be some pretty upset entrepreneurs if their plans to cash in don't pay off!
They may have missed another opportunity to make cash by not offering eclipse doggie poo bags!

Vall

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #56 - Aug 18th, 2017 at 11:35am
Print Post  
My brother told me last night there are a lot of people in La Grande with out of state plates.  They may not have cash for souvenirs.  A couple of guys were parked in the shade at the bank with the doors wide open trying to sleep in 90 degree heat.

IP Logged

CajunRebel
Oldtimer

Reply #57 - Aug 18th, 2017 at 4:41pm
Print Post  
I have only a few tickets left for the Heaven's Gate spaceship, it's just went into low orbit around Earth.  The view of the solar eclipse is fantastic from space.  You can charge it on your credit or debit card or directly from your bank account.  We'll pick everyone up at their house so you won't have to sleep in a tent or your car. First-class passengers will get private cots.  So no one gets space-sick you can take the meds in Apple(white) sauce or pudding, and wash it down with our special - Jim Jones Kool-Aid.  Everyone will get a NASSA-approved tinted plastic bag to slip over their head so the solar glare doesn't damage your eyes.  And, if you call in the next five minutes you'll get the second ticket FREE.  Just pay separate shipping and handling.  Log on to the Heaven's Gate website NOW, the first 50 people will be automatically upgraded to a suite - with a private balcony. Roll Eyes

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #58 - Aug 18th, 2017 at 4:44pm
Print Post  
"Solar eclipse traffic on I-25, I-70 could be as bad as 6 Broncos games letting out at once"

Headline in this morning's Denver Post.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #59 - Aug 18th, 2017 at 8:46pm
Print Post  
Lots of ways to watch it online:

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 
Send TopicPrint