Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Buyer beware (Read 2762 times)
jhm
Oldtimer

Buyer beware
Jul 29th, 2017 at 3:22pm
Print Post  
Picked up a 1885 Lo wall in sporter configuration at auction today. I had only ever seen the "musket" version so I convinced myself I had to have it as it is completely original and was marked 22 Short. Got caught up in the moment and didn't check it over good till I got it home. Went to clean the barrel and found it to be like new except for one thing. Someone converted it to LR! Immediately call the auction house as the sale was still ongoing but the rep said sorry sir "as is where is" and you had ample time to check the gun over before you bought it so I guess I am stuck.I have so much in it I could never resell it as original so buyer beware..... Question is will the barrel twist support the LR round? I haven't checked it.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Oldtimer

Re: Buyer beware
Reply #1 - Jul 29th, 2017 at 4:16pm
Print Post  
No, but you can just shoot shorts.

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Happiness is a warm gun.
J.Lennon

Reply #2 - Jul 29th, 2017 at 4:26pm
Print Post  
Pretty sure that .22 Long, (not long rifle) will fit the chamber and have the correct bullet weight for your twist.
.22 Long rifle will probably work just fine at 50 yds or so, but as you are aware, it's too slow for long range work. As you were thinking .22 short, you should be just fine at shorter range.
Aaron

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jul 29th, 2017 at 4:54pm
Print Post  
jhm wrote on Jul 29th, 2017 at 3:22pm:
the rep said sorry sir "as is where is" and you had ample time to check the gun over..

How, without testing the chamber with a LR cartridge?  (Which they'd probably have forbidden you to do.)

If it turns out to show acceptable accuracy (not unlikely at all), the conversion makes it more useful as a shooter.

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Happiness is a warm gun.
J.Lennon

Reply #4 - Jul 29th, 2017 at 5:37pm
Print Post  
Some can tell by looking at the twist if its 22 Long Rifle or not.
That auctioneer is a douche, though.
Aaron

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #5 - Jul 29th, 2017 at 5:37pm
Print Post  
Redsetter wrote on Jul 29th, 2017 at 4:54pm:
jhm wrote on Jul 29th, 2017 at 3:22pm:
the rep said sorry sir "as is where is" and you had ample time to check the gun over..

How, without testing the chamber with a LR cartridge?  (Which they'd probably have forbidden you to do.)

If it turns out to show acceptable accuracy (not unlikely at all), the conversion makes it more useful as a shooter.

One would have to carry a snap cap, or dial calipers to check the chamber on any prospective purchase.

But I understand the auction companies don't want to take time to ensure everything is correct. They want to run stuff through as fast as they can, with as little time on their part as possible. And they're not in the retail business, so can't have the same return policy.

Vall
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

J Louis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Jul 29th, 2017 at 6:15pm
Print Post  
Sad but I agree with Vall and all though they would not take it back it's also unlikely they were aware of it.

JLouis

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Jul 29th, 2017 at 6:23pm
Print Post  
The 22 Long uses the same case length as the 22 Long Rifle.
The 22 Long bullet weight has varied over the years, with many simply having used the 30gr 22 Short bullet stuffed into the longer case, but WRA used to load the 22 Long with a 35gr bullet as their standard 22 Long loading.

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Jul 29th, 2017 at 8:33pm
Print Post  
BP wrote on Jul 29th, 2017 at 6:23pm:
The 22 Long uses the same case length as the 22 Long Rifle.
The 22 Long bullet weight has varied over the years, with many simply having used the 30gr 22 Short bullet stuffed into the longer case, but WRA used to load the 22 Long with a 35gr bullet as their standard 22 Long loading.

Stuff is hard to find, expensive when you do, and not as accurate as either S or LR.  Have never shot LR in a S brl, but have shot plenty of LR in L brls (because most L chambers will accept LR), and always found accuracy on a par with what's reasonable to expect for the gun in question.

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Jul 29th, 2017 at 9:23pm
Print Post  
How did you determine that it had been re-chambered to Long rifle? Some short chambered guns will chamber long rifles. This was discussed here some time back at length. I have several short marked guns that will chamber and shoot long rifles. I doubt that they have all been reamed to long rifle. Manufacturing tollereances, throat erosion etc. all come into play. Short ammo is availabel if you look for it. CCI makes a plinking/target round that works well for me. Shorts were considered very accurate back in the day and very popular for target shooting. I would try some various short ammo and see how it shoots.

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Happiness is a warm gun.
J.Lennon

Reply #10 - Jul 29th, 2017 at 10:13pm
Print Post  
Stuff is hard to find, expensive when you do, and not as accurate as either S or LR.

That is a gross generalization, every gun is different.
On ammoseek.com, 22 long is readily available and a bit cheaper the 22 shorts. (@ $.06/rnd )
29 gr bullet, no problem, and no throat erosion.

FWIW, I had a 6" High Standard Olympic barrel that was re-chambered in 22 LR. Shot out the 10 ring at 50yds.
I think you have no worries.

Aaron
« Last Edit: Jul 30th, 2017 at 3:48am by Rebel »  

IP Logged

jhm
Oldtimer

Reply #11 - Jul 29th, 2017 at 10:18pm
Print Post  
Only way I have is visually and by inserting and shooting a couple rounds. I don't think it would be worth the effort to do a chamber cast. Not even sure you could. Never done one that small. I have some molding compound at work we use for comparison tests. It only shrinks a tiny amount and may work. May give it a try. Guess I will find out tomorrow what I have as I am going to the range.

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Happiness is a warm gun.
J.Lennon

Reply #12 - Jul 29th, 2017 at 10:29pm
Print Post  
Good luck and good shooting!
Aaron

IP Logged

KAF
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #13 - Jul 30th, 2017 at 8:02am
Print Post  
Around these parts, I see auction ads in the paper describing rifles having "hexagon" barrels.
I guess they will go high dollar because of their rarity.

Keith L 3240

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #14 - Jul 30th, 2017 at 10:37am
Print Post  
If you shoot it, be sure to take some .22 Short ammo also! My guess is it will shoot the .22 Shorts well, even if the chamber is a bit longer.

Vall
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint