Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Buyer beware (Read 2759 times)
Quarter_Bore
ASSRA Board Member

LIFE MEMBER #14

Re: Buyer beware
Reply #15 - Jul 30th, 2017 at 10:45am
Print Post  
I had a rifle which was marked .22 Short and it chambered Long Rifle. It shot fine with long rifles out to 50 yards. I did not shoot it at longer range. I used it as my 50 Foot match rifle and it did OK.

Founder of the Quarter Bore Corps
ASSRA- founded to promote fellowship among those interested in the use, study, and preservation of single shot rifles devel. betwn the end of the Civil War and WW I

IP Logged

UtahDave
Senior Forum Member

Reply #16 - Jul 30th, 2017 at 11:43am
Print Post  
Cerrosafe can be used for a 22 cal but you have to preheat the barrel to close to the Cerrosafe melting point.   Otherwise it will freeze too quickly.   You also need a good plug, maybe a 22 bullet gently tapped into the bore,   

Dave

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Jul 30th, 2017 at 12:41pm
Print Post  
I have 3 Winchester Winder Muskets, all marked .22 Short and with the slow twist rifling.  All 3 will accept a Long Rifle cartridge as is.  They have not been rechambered.  Accuracy is fine with Shorts.  From benchrest, with CCI Target Shorts at 25 yards, most shots will cut the 25 ring of the gallery target.  All will cut the 24 ring.  That is before sorting.

My bet is that the original rifle was not re-chambered.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Jul 30th, 2017 at 12:51pm
Print Post  
Quarter_Bore wrote on Jul 30th, 2017 at 10:45am:
I had a rifle which was marked .22 Short and it chambered Long Rifle.

Just tried this with the only Short I still have, an early standard LW probably very much like the re-chambered one;  no-go, by almost 1/4".  I'm disappointed.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Jul 30th, 2017 at 12:57pm
Print Post  
UtahDave wrote on Jul 30th, 2017 at 11:43am:
Cerrosafe can be used for a 22 cal but you have to preheat the barrel to close to the Cerrosafe melting point.   Otherwise it will freeze too quickly.   You also need a good plug, maybe a 22 bullet gently tapped into the bore,   

Dave

Jeez, before going to all this trouble, I'd just shoot it with several brands of Shorts & LRs to see what it would do. 

If a LR bullet is strongly engraved when seated, that's solid evidence of re-chambering, because Win. didn't build them to fit that way.

IP Logged

jhm
Oldtimer

Reply #20 - Jul 30th, 2017 at 4:28pm
Print Post  
Well the results are in...... It shoots 1/2 inch groups at 50 yards with you guessed it.... SHORTS! Tried some LR and they opened up to about 3 inches. From the above statements I have somewhat changed my opinion about the rifle being re chambered to LR. I am going to give it the benefit of the doubt for now. Checked the twist (tight fitting patch/ramrod method) and came up with 1/12 or thereabouts. Haven't decided if I will call the auction house and recant my statements. I know the auctioneer and he is a good ol sort. Taught me to check and recheck and not get too excited next time.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #21 - Jul 30th, 2017 at 4:33pm
Print Post  
Great to hear it shoots shorts well! And giving them a call is a class thing to do. Good for you!

Vall
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Lefty38-55
Senior Forum Member

Reply #22 - Jul 30th, 2017 at 6:02pm
Print Post  
Rebel wrote on Jul 29th, 2017 at 4:26pm:
Pretty sure that .22 Long, (not long rifle) will fit the chamber and have the correct bullet weight for your twist.

FWIW, I have a few period '22 Long' single-shot rifles, including a Maynard, Stevens and an original Schuetzen High Wall barreled by H.M. Pope. While all will chamber a 22LR round, none of them will stabilize them adequately. Clarification, I did "not" fire the 22LR rounds out of the Pope barrel ... even though they were std velocity ones.

The 22 shorts and longs typically used a 1-in-25" twist barrel, where the typical 22LR is 1-in-16".

As others have said, the ~40-grn bullet of the LRs is too heavy to be stabilized with the slower twist.

All of my single shots shoot one tiny ragged hole with cast bullets ... it's just the following shots that tend to open up my groups Wink ...

IP Logged

Lefty38-55
Senior Forum Member

Reply #23 - Jul 30th, 2017 at 6:09pm
Print Post  
jhm wrote on Jul 30th, 2017 at 4:28pm:
Checked the twist (tight fitting patch/ramrod method) and came up with 1/12 or thereabouts.

Are you sure?

One would think a 'faster than 22LR' twist would stablize the heavier ~40-grain LR bullet better than the lighter ~29-grain short bullet.

All of my single shots shoot one tiny ragged hole with cast bullets ... it's just the following shots that tend to open up my groups Wink ...

IP Logged

martin 1940D28
Junior Forum Member

Reply #24 - Jul 30th, 2017 at 6:38pm
Print Post  
Just a question from a lowly member. I do not understand why a desirable or not Single Shot Rifle would be placed on the auction block unless it would be to release the seller from any misconceptions or repercussions from misrepresentation. I'm only asking this as for a lesson I learned over a half century ago along with many others.

IP Logged

ron
Senior Forum Member

Reply #25 - Jul 30th, 2017 at 6:42pm
Print Post  
The auction in my way of thinking is not truthful. The rifle is not AS Advertize. Therefore they should take the item back,it is there mistake and not yours.

Ron

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #26 - Aug 5th, 2017 at 11:42pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Jul 30th, 2017 at 10:37am:
If you shoot it, be sure to take some .22 Short ammo also! My guess is it will shoot the .22 Shorts well, even if the chamber is a bit longer.

Tell everyone that it's been freebored to allow for high pressure Short ammo!    Wink

<div class=

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #27 - Aug 6th, 2017 at 8:25am
Print Post  
If the bore is good and the rest of the rifle is excellent but altered AND it has been rechambered to the LR case  It MIGHT be possible to have the barrel set back slightly necessary, and the chamber/throat-only lined and re-cut for the 22 short match round by an expert gunsmith.

whether the effort involved is worth the cost considering the difficulty of acquiring quality 22 short ammunition would be a consideration of course.

I have a german Schuetzen in 22 short I love shooting. But I buy every bit of 22 short ammo I run across---just of be sure to have it in the future.

It might be worth trying some of the current (more or less) CCI Hi-velocity shorts in it.   I have used in in mine, but I have found that weight/sorting is work the PITA effort.
« Last Edit: Aug 6th, 2017 at 8:30am by QuestionableMaynard8130 »  

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #28 - Aug 6th, 2017 at 2:55pm
Print Post  
For what it's worth, my .22 low wall was a short, and I had it reamed for LR ammo. Apparently, it never got the word that it shouldn't shoot that stuff and does as well as most factory rifles can do. Not a target quality shooter, but a helluva nice plinker. Just sayin'...........

IP Logged

will_ballard
Junior Forum Member

Reply #29 - Aug 14th, 2017 at 6:05am
Print Post  
Ok I m having Turnbull restore a high wall that letters out with #3 weight 28" 22short , swiss buttplate  and set trigger.  I told him to mark it 22short but chamber it 22l.r.

Is this wrong ?
I want opinions I have time as it is 1 year out.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint