Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Buyer beware (Read 2351 times)
jhm
Senior Forum Member

Buyer beware
Jul 29th, 2017 at 3:22pm
Print Post  
Picked up a 1885 Lo wall in sporter configuration at auction today. I had only ever seen the "musket" version so I convinced myself I had to have it as it is completely original and was marked 22 Short. Got caught up in the moment and didn't check it over good till I got it home. Went to clean the barrel and found it to be like new except for one thing. Someone converted it to LR! Immediately call the auction house as the sale was still ongoing but the rep said sorry sir "as is where is" and you had ample time to check the gun over before you bought it so I guess I am stuck.I have so much in it I could never resell it as original so buyer beware..... Question is will the barrel twist support the LR round? I haven't checked it.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Oldtimer

Re: Buyer beware
Reply #1 - Jul 29th, 2017 at 4:16pm
Print Post  
No, but you can just shoot shorts.

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Happiness is a warm gun.
J.Lennon

Reply #2 - Jul 29th, 2017 at 4:26pm
Print Post  
Pretty sure that .22 Long, (not long rifle) will fit the chamber and have the correct bullet weight for your twist.
.22 Long rifle will probably work just fine at 50 yds or so, but as you are aware, it's too slow for long range work. As you were thinking .22 short, you should be just fine at shorter range.
Aaron

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jul 29th, 2017 at 4:54pm
Print Post  
jhm wrote on Jul 29th, 2017 at 3:22pm:
the rep said sorry sir "as is where is" and you had ample time to check the gun over..

How, without testing the chamber with a LR cartridge?  (Which they'd probably have forbidden you to do.)

If it turns out to show acceptable accuracy (not unlikely at all), the conversion makes it more useful as a shooter.

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Happiness is a warm gun.
J.Lennon

Reply #4 - Jul 29th, 2017 at 5:37pm
Print Post  
Some can tell by looking at the twist if its 22 Long Rifle or not.
That auctioneer is a douche, though.
Aaron

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #5 - Jul 29th, 2017 at 5:37pm
Print Post  
Redsetter wrote on Jul 29th, 2017 at 4:54pm:
jhm wrote on Jul 29th, 2017 at 3:22pm:
the rep said sorry sir "as is where is" and you had ample time to check the gun over..

How, without testing the chamber with a LR cartridge?  (Which they'd probably have forbidden you to do.)

If it turns out to show acceptable accuracy (not unlikely at all), the conversion makes it more useful as a shooter.

One would have to carry a snap cap, or dial calipers to check the chamber on any prospective purchase.

But I understand the auction companies don't want to take time to ensure everything is correct. They want to run stuff through as fast as they can, with as little time on their part as possible. And they're not in the retail business, so can't have the same return policy.

Vall
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

J Louis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Jul 29th, 2017 at 6:15pm
Print Post  
Sad but I agree with Vall and all though they would not take it back it's also unlikely they were aware of it.

JLouis

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Jul 29th, 2017 at 6:23pm
Print Post  
The 22 Long uses the same case length as the 22 Long Rifle.
The 22 Long bullet weight has varied over the years, with many simply having used the 30gr 22 Short bullet stuffed into the longer case, but WRA used to load the 22 Long with a 35gr bullet as their standard 22 Long loading.

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Jul 29th, 2017 at 8:33pm
Print Post  
BP wrote on Jul 29th, 2017 at 6:23pm:
The 22 Long uses the same case length as the 22 Long Rifle.
The 22 Long bullet weight has varied over the years, with many simply having used the 30gr 22 Short bullet stuffed into the longer case, but WRA used to load the 22 Long with a 35gr bullet as their standard 22 Long loading.

Stuff is hard to find, expensive when you do, and not as accurate as either S or LR.  Have never shot LR in a S brl, but have shot plenty of LR in L brls (because most L chambers will accept LR), and always found accuracy on a par with what's reasonable to expect for the gun in question.

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Jul 29th, 2017 at 9:23pm
Print Post  
How did you determine that it had been re-chambered to Long rifle? Some short chambered guns will chamber long rifles. This was discussed here some time back at length. I have several short marked guns that will chamber and shoot long rifles. I doubt that they have all been reamed to long rifle. Manufacturing tollereances, throat erosion etc. all come into play. Short ammo is availabel if you look for it. CCI makes a plinking/target round that works well for me. Shorts were considered very accurate back in the day and very popular for target shooting. I would try some various short ammo and see how it shoots.

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Happiness is a warm gun.
J.Lennon

Reply #10 - Jul 29th, 2017 at 10:13pm
Print Post  
Stuff is hard to find, expensive when you do, and not as accurate as either S or LR.

That is a gross generalization, every gun is different.
On ammoseek.com, 22 long is readily available and a bit cheaper the 22 shorts. (@ $.06/rnd )
29 gr bullet, no problem, and no throat erosion.

FWIW, I had a 6" High Standard Olympic barrel that was re-chambered in 22 LR. Shot out the 10 ring at 50yds.
I think you have no worries.

Aaron
« Last Edit: Jul 30th, 2017 at 3:48am by Rebel »  

IP Logged

jhm
Senior Forum Member

Reply #11 - Jul 29th, 2017 at 10:18pm
Print Post  
Only way I have is visually and by inserting and shooting a couple rounds. I don't think it would be worth the effort to do a chamber cast. Not even sure you could. Never done one that small. I have some molding compound at work we use for comparison tests. It only shrinks a tiny amount and may work. May give it a try. Guess I will find out tomorrow what I have as I am going to the range.

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Happiness is a warm gun.
J.Lennon

Reply #12 - Jul 29th, 2017 at 10:29pm
Print Post  
Good luck and good shooting!
Aaron

IP Logged

KAF
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #13 - Jul 30th, 2017 at 8:02am
Print Post  
Around these parts, I see auction ads in the paper describing rifles having "hexagon" barrels.
I guess they will go high dollar because of their rarity.

Keith L 3240

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #14 - Jul 30th, 2017 at 10:37am
Print Post  
If you shoot it, be sure to take some .22 Short ammo also! My guess is it will shoot the .22 Shorts well, even if the chamber is a bit longer.

Vall

IP Logged

Quarter_Bore
ASSRA Board Member

LIFE MEMBER #14

Reply #15 - Jul 30th, 2017 at 10:45am
Print Post  
I had a rifle which was marked .22 Short and it chambered Long Rifle. It shot fine with long rifles out to 50 yards. I did not shoot it at longer range. I used it as my 50 Foot match rifle and it did OK.

Founder of the Quarter Bore Corps
ASSRA- founded to promote fellowship among those interested in the use, study, and preservation of single shot rifles devel. betwn the end of the Civil War and WW I

IP Logged

UtahDave
Senior Forum Member

Reply #16 - Jul 30th, 2017 at 11:43am
Print Post  
Cerrosafe can be used for a 22 cal but you have to preheat the barrel to close to the Cerrosafe melting point.   Otherwise it will freeze too quickly.   You also need a good plug, maybe a 22 bullet gently tapped into the bore,   

Dave

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Jul 30th, 2017 at 12:41pm
Print Post  
I have 3 Winchester Winder Muskets, all marked .22 Short and with the slow twist rifling.  All 3 will accept a Long Rifle cartridge as is.  They have not been rechambered.  Accuracy is fine with Shorts.  From benchrest, with CCI Target Shorts at 25 yards, most shots will cut the 25 ring of the gallery target.  All will cut the 24 ring.  That is before sorting.

My bet is that the original rifle was not re-chambered.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Jul 30th, 2017 at 12:51pm
Print Post  
Quarter_Bore wrote on Jul 30th, 2017 at 10:45am:
I had a rifle which was marked .22 Short and it chambered Long Rifle.

Just tried this with the only Short I still have, an early standard LW probably very much like the re-chambered one;  no-go, by almost 1/4".  I'm disappointed.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Jul 30th, 2017 at 12:57pm
Print Post  
UtahDave wrote on Jul 30th, 2017 at 11:43am:
Cerrosafe can be used for a 22 cal but you have to preheat the barrel to close to the Cerrosafe melting point.   Otherwise it will freeze too quickly.   You also need a good plug, maybe a 22 bullet gently tapped into the bore,   

Dave

Jeez, before going to all this trouble, I'd just shoot it with several brands of Shorts & LRs to see what it would do. 

If a LR bullet is strongly engraved when seated, that's solid evidence of re-chambering, because Win. didn't build them to fit that way.

IP Logged

jhm
Senior Forum Member

Reply #20 - Jul 30th, 2017 at 4:28pm
Print Post  
Well the results are in...... It shoots 1/2 inch groups at 50 yards with you guessed it.... SHORTS! Tried some LR and they opened up to about 3 inches. From the above statements I have somewhat changed my opinion about the rifle being re chambered to LR. I am going to give it the benefit of the doubt for now. Checked the twist (tight fitting patch/ramrod method) and came up with 1/12 or thereabouts. Haven't decided if I will call the auction house and recant my statements. I know the auctioneer and he is a good ol sort. Taught me to check and recheck and not get too excited next time.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #21 - Jul 30th, 2017 at 4:33pm
Print Post  
Great to hear it shoots shorts well! And giving them a call is a class thing to do. Good for you!

Vall

IP Logged

Lefty38-55
Senior Forum Member

Reply #22 - Jul 30th, 2017 at 6:02pm
Print Post  
Rebel wrote on Jul 29th, 2017 at 4:26pm:
Pretty sure that .22 Long, (not long rifle) will fit the chamber and have the correct bullet weight for your twist.

FWIW, I have a few period '22 Long' single-shot rifles, including a Maynard, Stevens and an original Schuetzen High Wall barreled by H.M. Pope. While all will chamber a 22LR round, none of them will stabilize them adequately. Clarification, I did "not" fire the 22LR rounds out of the Pope barrel ... even though they were std velocity ones.

The 22 shorts and longs typically used a 1-in-25" twist barrel, where the typical 22LR is 1-in-16".

As others have said, the ~40-grn bullet of the LRs is too heavy to be stabilized with the slower twist.

All of my single shots shoot one tiny ragged hole with cast bullets ... it's just the following shots that tend to open up my groups Wink ...

IP Logged

Lefty38-55
Senior Forum Member

Reply #23 - Jul 30th, 2017 at 6:09pm
Print Post  
jhm wrote on Jul 30th, 2017 at 4:28pm:
Checked the twist (tight fitting patch/ramrod method) and came up with 1/12 or thereabouts.

Are you sure?

One would think a 'faster than 22LR' twist would stablize the heavier ~40-grain LR bullet better than the lighter ~29-grain short bullet.

All of my single shots shoot one tiny ragged hole with cast bullets ... it's just the following shots that tend to open up my groups Wink ...

IP Logged

martin 1940D28
Junior Forum Member

Reply #24 - Jul 30th, 2017 at 6:38pm
Print Post  
Just a question from a lowly member. I do not understand why a desirable or not Single Shot Rifle would be placed on the auction block unless it would be to release the seller from any misconceptions or repercussions from misrepresentation. I'm only asking this as for a lesson I learned over a half century ago along with many others.

IP Logged

ron
Senior Forum Member

Reply #25 - Jul 30th, 2017 at 6:42pm
Print Post  
The auction in my way of thinking is not truthful. The rifle is not AS Advertize. Therefore they should take the item back,it is there mistake and not yours.

Ron

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #26 - Aug 5th, 2017 at 11:42pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Jul 30th, 2017 at 10:37am:
If you shoot it, be sure to take some .22 Short ammo also! My guess is it will shoot the .22 Shorts well, even if the chamber is a bit longer.

Tell everyone that it's been freebored to allow for high pressure Short ammo!    Wink

Jack of All Trades - Retired

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #27 - Aug 6th, 2017 at 8:25am
Print Post  
If the bore is good and the rest of the rifle is excellent but altered AND it has been rechambered to the LR case  It MIGHT be possible to have the barrel set back slightly necessary, and the chamber/throat-only lined and re-cut for the 22 short match round by an expert gunsmith.

whether the effort involved is worth the cost considering the difficulty of acquiring quality 22 short ammunition would be a consideration of course.

I have a german Schuetzen in 22 short I love shooting. But I buy every bit of 22 short ammo I run across---just of be sure to have it in the future.

It might be worth trying some of the current (more or less) CCI Hi-velocity shorts in it.   I have used in in mine, but I have found that weight/sorting is work the PITA effort.
« Last Edit: Aug 6th, 2017 at 8:30am by QuestionableMaynard8130 »  

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #28 - Aug 6th, 2017 at 2:55pm
Print Post  
For what it's worth, my .22 low wall was a short, and I had it reamed for LR ammo. Apparently, it never got the word that it shouldn't shoot that stuff and does as well as most factory rifles can do. Not a target quality shooter, but a helluva nice plinker. Just sayin'...........

IP Logged

will_ballard
Junior Forum Member

Reply #29 - Aug 14th, 2017 at 6:05am
Print Post  
Ok I m having Turnbull restore a high wall that letters out with #3 weight 28" 22short , swiss buttplate  and set trigger.  I told him to mark it 22short but chamber it 22l.r.

Is this wrong ?
I want opinions I have time as it is 1 year out.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #30 - Aug 14th, 2017 at 9:34am
Print Post  
will_ballard wrote on Aug 14th, 2017 at 6:05am:
Ok I m having Turnbull restore a high wall that letters out with #3 weight 28" 22short , swiss buttplate  and set trigger.  I told him to mark it 22short but chamber it 22l.r.

Is this wrong ?
I want opinions I have time as it is 1 year out.

If it was mine and I spent the funds that Turnbull charges for an accurate restoration, I'd make it 100% accurate. I'd want it to BE a .22 Short, and not just marked .22 Short.

Vall

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #31 - Aug 14th, 2017 at 10:08am
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Aug 14th, 2017 at 9:34am:
If it was mine and I spent the funds that Turnbull charges for an accurate restoration, I'd make it 100% accurate. I'd want it to BE a .22 Short, and not just marked .22 Short.

There's something to that, although after going through Doug's shop, it will never be mistaken for a gun in original condition.  Therefor, those who might spurn it for being a non-original chambering, would probably also spurn it for being refinished. If your ultimate object is shooting the gun, not creating a wall-hanger or safe-queen, I'd choose the cartridge that offers the best potential for the kind of shooting you expect to be doing with it.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #32 - Aug 14th, 2017 at 10:45am
Print Post  
Redsetter wrote on Aug 14th, 2017 at 10:08am:
marlinguy wrote on Aug 14th, 2017 at 9:34am:

There's something to that, although after going through Doug's shop, it will never be mistaken for a gun in original condition. 

One would think so, but that's not been the case. A few years back Don Anderson (past MFCA President) had an 1893 Marlin that he sent off to a large auction house to sell. The gun appeared to be minty, and Don bought it as an unfired, or barely fired original. Doug Turnbull was at the auction, and thought he recognized the rifle as one he might have done. He called his shop and had them check the serial number, and confirmed it was indeed a gun he'd restored 20 years earlier!
A lot of experts had looked that gun over many times before and declared it was a gorgeous original specimen.
The auction house announced the gun was a Turnbull restoration, and the $10k reserve was lifted, and the gun would be sold at whatever it got. The gun still reached the $10k reserve, with everyone knowing it was a restoration by Turnbull.

Vall

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #33 - Aug 14th, 2017 at 12:31pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Aug 14th, 2017 at 10:45am:
One would think so, but that's not been the case. A few years back Don Anderson (past MFCA President) had an 1893 Marlin that he sent off to a large auction house to sell. The gun appeared to be minty, and Don bought it as an unfired, or barely fired original. Doug Turnbull was at the auction, and thought he recognized the rifle as one he might have done. He called his shop and had them check the serial number, and confirmed it was indeed a gun he'd restored 20 years earlier!
A lot of experts had looked that gun over many times before and declared it was a gorgeous original specimen.
The auction house announced the gun was a Turnbull restoration, and the $10k reserve was lifted, and the gun would be sold at whatever it got. The gun still reached the $10k reserve, with everyone knowing it was a restoration by Turnbull.

Amazing, but Gary Quinlan told me there's a group of fat-cat "collectors" who like old-timey guns, but want them looking brand-spanking new (like everything else they own)!But the incident speaks volumes about the quality of Doug's work--when a gun with 0% original finish brings as much as one thought at first to be all-original; would be interesting to know the cost of that restoration.

Though I fully appreciate the craftsmanship that goes into such work, if I was offered a choice between that kind of restoration and a "good clean gun, used but not abused," I'd unhesitatingly choose the latter; that is, if the condition of the gift was that the restoration could not be sold!

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #34 - Aug 15th, 2017 at 10:43am
Print Post  
I totally agree! I'd much rather have an honest gun showing use than a fully restored gun. But when I have had beaters I restored, I don't try to age them and fake the restoration.
The quality of some folks doing restoration work in recent years has really changed the feelings towards restored guns for many people. There are other guys doing work as good or better than Turnbull, and all of it is scary good! Makes me afraid to even look at a minty gun these days, as I assume they're all restored now!

Vall

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Send TopicPrint