Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) John McCain (Read 2167 times)
marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: John McCain
Reply #15 - Aug 14th, 2017 at 11:12am
Print Post  
J Louis wrote on Aug 12th, 2017 at 2:16pm:
Wonder how much of that story was factual. I just don't trust anything anyone has to say these days in Washington. All snakes that continue to bite me in the arss as far as I am concerened and I am pretty much sick of it all. The only time they do the right thing is to cover their own.

JLouis

I'm always leery of a lot of these type postings, so I did a Snopes search of this and found that Snopes not only agreed it's true, but possibly even worse. Unusual for Snopes, as they're pretty liberal and rarely totally agree with trashing somebody they like.
I couldn't however find any info at Snopes on the carrier incident to agree or disagree. But Wikipedia called it "an electrical anomaly" that started the fire on the USS Forrestal. Read this story in Wikipedia, and it would seem the bombs were the result of the fire, and that everyone on the ship was afraid to even have them on board!
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

So I'm calling BS on the part of McCain starting the fire. Much as I wish it was true!

Vall

IP Logged

oneatatime
Oldtimer

Reply #16 - Aug 14th, 2017 at 10:55pm
Print Post  
One of my high school friends died on the Forrestal trying to save others below deck.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Aug 15th, 2017 at 1:52am
Print Post  
Another facet to the wetstart story is that McCain was evacuated from the ship with the very first load of wounded, despite being uninjured himself.   Implication expressed by those telling the story is that the command wanted to get him out of harm's way - there being any number of sailors and airmen who would have fragged him for what he did. 

Jack of All Trades - Retired

IP Logged

J Louis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Aug 15th, 2017 at 11:40am
Print Post  
Thanks for the research Vall and it's amazing how some of these folks even get elected and then are some how held in high regard.

JLouis

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #19 - Aug 15th, 2017 at 11:50am
Print Post  
J Louis wrote on Aug 15th, 2017 at 11:40am:
Thanks for the research Vall and it's amazing how some of these folks even get elected and then are some how held in high regard.

JLouis

I blame it on uneducated or lazy voters John. Those that either vote without doing due diligence, or vote with their heart, instead of a brain. Add to that those who don't even vote at all, and you get elected officials that are worthless.
John McCain would never have been elected if he hadn't been taken captive. A huge number of veterans and their families voted for him based simply on that fact, and chose to ignore his history.

Vall

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Aug 15th, 2017 at 11:03pm
Print Post  
Unfortunately, over half of us, US, get our political news from late night comics. Plus, charisma goes along way towards winning an election..

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #21 - Aug 16th, 2017 at 10:03am
Print Post  
Schuetzenmiester wrote on Aug 15th, 2017 at 11:03pm:
Unfortunately, over half of us, US, get our political news from late night comics. Plus, charisma goes along way towards winning an election..

There are numerous "shallow" considerations made by the voting populace. Obama's slick rhetoric at the democratic convention made his run for president a big success. All I heard from people was them fawning over how well spoken he was. Geez. He could have been reading a recipe card and they'd have voted for him!

Vall

IP Logged

sakoman

Reply #22 - Aug 24th, 2017 at 2:08pm
Print Post  
Obozo SPOKE a lot, never said much!

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Aug 24th, 2017 at 10:36pm
Print Post  
Val, Slick Willie was the same way.  He legalize giving the Chinese the technology to blow our @$$ off the face of the earth with an ICBM!  Nobody cares.  They all love love the b@$t@rd except the women he raped.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #24 - Aug 25th, 2017 at 10:27am
Print Post  
Schuetzenmiester wrote on Aug 24th, 2017 at 10:36pm:
Val, Slick Willie was the same way.  He legalize giving the Chinese the technology to blow our @$$ off the face of the earth with an ICBM!  Nobody cares.  They all love love the b@$t@rd except the women he raped.

I remember when Slick Willy got the laws changed to allow US manufacturers to sell that technology to China! That was his payback for them donating large amounts of money to his campaign! Traitor!

Vall

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - Aug 25th, 2017 at 1:57pm
Print Post  
The incident I'm refering to was an executive order to protect his pals from an investigation about how China got the technology.  US communications companies wanted China to launch their satellites because NASA was too expensive. China was having a 90% failure rate.  The tratiors fixed that  Cry

Too bad the same technology puts satellites in orbit and sends ICBMs to us, US.  China would most likely still have a high failure rate without Slick Willie.  An aerospace engineer who worked over there told me they are good at stealing and copying, but not much innovation in high tech.
« Last Edit: Aug 25th, 2017 at 2:13pm by Schuetzenmiester »  

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #26 - Aug 25th, 2017 at 5:57pm
Print Post  
[quote author=40707B66766769767D7E7A7660677661130 link=1501466151/25#25 date=1503683869]  US communications companies wanted China to launch their satellites because NASA was too expensive.

NASA's outrageous launch costs spawned many satellite launching enterprises -- Russia and India were popular early on as "low cost" launchers. The various versions of the technology noted in above post quickly became operational universally, obtained either from USA or Russia. Modern telecommunication satellite networks owe their existence to reliable, affordable precise launch capabilities.

(Re)invent or copy or buy has been a time honored choice at least ever since Neandertals borrowed from early Homo Sapiens. Every industry and research firm makes a deliberate choice to copy or buy or develop their own.

Den SKG:en

IP Logged

craigd
Oldtimer

Reply #27 - Aug 25th, 2017 at 6:51pm
Print Post  
svartkruttgris#369 wrote on Aug 25th, 2017 at 5:57pm:
....NASA's outrageous launch costs spawned many satellite launching enterprises....

Isn't that a bit like saying, hilery contained the high cost of uranium by giving the soviets 20% of ours? If nothing else, the gal was enterprising, eh?

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #28 - Aug 25th, 2017 at 11:19pm
Print Post  
svartkruttgris#369 wrote on Aug 25th, 2017 at 5:57pm:
[quote author=40707B66766769767D7E7A7660677661130 link=1501466151/25#25 date=1503683869]  US communications companies wanted China to launch their satellites because NASA was too expensive.

NASA's outrageous launch costs spawned many satellite launching enterprises -- Russia and India were popular early on as "low cost" launchers. The various versions of the technology noted in above post quickly became operational universally, obtained either from USA or Russia. Modern telecommunication satellite networks owe their existence to reliable, affordable precise launch capabilities.

(Re)invent or copy or buy has been a time honored choice at least ever since Neandertals borrowed from early Homo Sapiens. Every industry and research firm makes a deliberate choice to copy or buy or develop their own.

Somehow this excuses handing over critical military technology to our sworn enemies?

Jack of All Trades - Retired

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #29 - Aug 26th, 2017 at 11:11am
Print Post  
The World moves on ...... Check out this website for India's space program.

Realizing I have been outta touch with various space programs for too long I did a quick Google search. Yep, lots been going on since the days when NASA and Intercosmos were the biggies.

To those that fixate on "critical military capabilities" I would point out that NO ONE ever manages to stay on top for long. In this instance, perhaps it has been forgotten that NASA was pretty hopeless at launching satellites until Von Braun et all (Germans) were put in charge.  And that USSR launched first payloads into orbit. Which countries have provided payload delivery to International Space Station?? If you are really worried about sharing "critical military capabilities" re space, you must really hate the 1998 agreement on International Space Station ( (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)).

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint