Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Scores 1800's (Read 2735 times)
J Louis
Frequent Elocutionist

Scores 1800's
Aug 5th, 2017 at 10:46pm
Print Post  
Some here still tend to think Offhand was the only true way back in the day of Schuetzen so I thought I would share this link to some of those old scores / targets back in the hey day.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

JLouis

IP Logged

vapodog
Junior Forum Member

Re: Scores 1800's
Reply #1 - Aug 6th, 2017 at 7:44am
Print Post  
Frankly......I'd be happy to do that good from a solid bench rest and a 12 power scope.

IP Logged

OkeyMaple
Senior Forum Member

ASSRA # 10880

Reply #2 - Aug 6th, 2017 at 8:00am
Print Post  
Beyond my wildest dreams. Those were true "Masters".

In God We Trust

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #3 - Aug 6th, 2017 at 8:15am
Print Post  
interesting,  I wish we knew more about the targets, guns and loads.  It'd also be interesting to see how those scores would look if superimposed on out current ASSRA/ISSA targets.  its certain that they sure could shoot well.

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Aug 6th, 2017 at 12:10pm
Print Post  
J Louis wrote on Aug 5th, 2017 at 10:46pm:
Some here still tend to think Offhand was the only true way back in the day of Schuetzen...

If so, "some" are pretty ignorant: in the days of Brockway, Billinghurst, James, Lewis, and all the other great barrel-smiths of the pre-civil war period, rest-shooting (often with scopes) was a common form of competition.

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Aug 6th, 2017 at 12:31pm
Print Post  
Yes, very true but:

BR = easy

OH = HARD!

That's why we lost all our good OH shooters, as we had in the 1980's.

Who that shoots today, enjoys OH practice?

We DO NOT have enough OH shooters, today and may never again Sad

Kind of strange when you think of it, because aggregates are won OH. It's very hard to make up a few points BR but, easy to OH.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

John Boy
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA #10288 (Paid Feb
2019 - 2 Yrs)

Reply #6 - Aug 6th, 2017 at 12:55pm
Print Post  
Quote:
We DO NOT have enough OH shooters, today and may never again

Good example is Jim Luke and his buddy Chuck Bender two of the best offhand Schuetzen shooters. They are both shooting NRA Lever Silhouette now and winning top matches with Lever action Marlin 30/30's that have had very few changes from factory original.

Chuck's 100 shot record still stands and it is a pleasure to stand next to Chuck and Jim shooting Lever Action OH.  They never seem to miss

Regards
John
IP Logged

RSW
Oldtimer

Reply #7 - Aug 6th, 2017 at 1:13pm
Print Post  
QuestionableMaynard
You were wandering how the scores on the Standard American target relate to the German Ring target we are more familiar with today?
The 8 ring on the Standard American is 8 inches in diameter (slightly larger than the 200 yard German Ring target 21 ring), the 9 ring is 5.54 (a little smaller than the 22 ring) and the 10 ring is 3.36 inches (slightly larger than the 24 ring). So I think you can determine in a general way how scores would look superimposed on the 200 German Ring target.
All of those targets were fired in 1886-87 so the loads would have been straight black powder. If you click the small images on the link provided by John Louis, a larger image is launched giving more detail such as:
The 200 yard 4.5 inch group, 50-shot rest target by Z.E. Leonard used a Maynard .32 cal., 28-inch barrel. The shell held 35 grains of powder; the bullet was patched, and weighed 165 grains. The rifle was cleaned after each shot and fired from rest.
The 10-shot 200 yard, 2 1/16 group, also by Leonard was shot with a Maynard round barrel, 32 inches in length, weighing about 6 ˝ pounds, .38 cal, 50 grains of American Rifle Cartridge-powder, patched bullet, weighing 330 grains, shot from a rest, and barrel cleaned after each shot.
All the other targets were offhand.
Hope that helps
« Last Edit: Aug 6th, 2017 at 1:36pm by RSW »  

Randy W
Not even duct tape can fix stupid but it can muffle the sound.
IP Logged

beltfed
Oldtimer

Reply #8 - Aug 6th, 2017 at 1:38pm
Print Post  
Of especial note is that Leanard used Patched bullets...
beltfed/arnie

IP Logged

J Louis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Aug 6th, 2017 at 1:47pm
Print Post  
Benchrest shooting is far from being easy but just the opposite and by far the more difficult of the two. You can go out and win offhand matches with a mediocre shooting rifle and mediocre condition reading skills. But there is very little hope of ever winning a bench match while using the same rifle and lacking condition reading skills.
The decline in good Offhand Shooters is due mostly to age and the resulting poor health. Back in the 70's everyone in our group shot Offhand and at every match but those days are long gone as are some of those who shot it. The remaining just cannot do it anymore and there are no young bucks getting into the sport to carry that tradition on at our club.

JLouis

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Aug 6th, 2017 at 2:12pm
Print Post  
JL,
How many times have you tried to shoot OH and if you have, what has been your best score.

Go out and practice OH and come back and tell how easy it is.

The best OH shooters, shoot the best equipment and are also the best in BR. Look at Jim Feren, he is still shooting his 1980's rifle. It off because it a sub standard rifle today but, not far enough to not be competive and still win agg's.

Then look at Garry Millers scores at Spokane (overall winner). Garry is in his 70's and has ALWAYS been good OH & BR. He came from ML and went straight to the top after learning our sport, even shooting a Ruger. He is the only one I know of that has shot 250's with a Ruger. A lot of the good OH shooters are gone, such as Dave Purcel and many are loosing their OH edge, because of age but, OH shooters have a talent beyond BR shooters and excell in BR & OH because of it.

OH = HARD!

BR = easy

Me? I know it's hard, because I've done it. I'm not good at it, I've only shot a handfull of scores, between 200 and 210 in 32 years! Most of my agg wins are because I shot one of those 200+ scores. I keep trying but, I don't practice, because it's HARD and I'm OLD!

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

J Louis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Aug 6th, 2017 at 3:37pm
Print Post  
Frank I have won my fair share of offhand events being in the top three at our ISSA Regional events from 2005-2007 in CF irons, scope and rimfire and first in CF scope only once in 2007. That was back in the day when we had alot of travelers and some of the best offhand shooters headed to Tommy's match right after our regional events. Most of those were probably just by the luck of trying to do good as I just don't care to shoot it and only did so for the fun of it all just once yearly and I stopped doing so after the 2009 regional. All my persoanl goals set, time spent and then accomplished have always revolved around bench shooting and just simply what I truly enjoy and still do.

JLouis
« Last Edit: Aug 6th, 2017 at 4:00pm by J Louis »  

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Aug 6th, 2017 at 4:50pm
Print Post  
looks like most of those targets would be in the 220s.  Since everyone was doin' it, there were more good OH targets then 8 Grin

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

J Louis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Aug 6th, 2017 at 7:00pm
Print Post  
Not everyone John D Kelly was to busy making the same rounds and winning the benchrest matches and doing the undone. Pope referred to John as the Dean of benchrest shooting and what he accomplished with his 38-72 Kelly-Pope rightfully so in the early 1900's. There are by far more today that have not equaled his personal accomplishments and very few that yet have.

JLouis

IP Logged

bnice
Oldtimer

Reply #14 - Aug 6th, 2017 at 10:37pm
Print Post  
to each his own. Both have there difficulties and require ability. Both need equipment equal to the game to score well. I have always preferred offhand but that does not mean I don't enjoy the bench. I would hate to see this game go to just bench shooting. Schuetzen was mainly offhand and I hope that we see that last well beyond our time.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #15 - Aug 7th, 2017 at 12:51am
Print Post  
Bev Pinney could beat most of those BR scores, without a trigger finger.   Sad

Joe.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Aug 7th, 2017 at 9:08am
Print Post  
bnice wrote on Aug 6th, 2017 at 10:37pm:
to each his own. Both have there difficulties and require ability. Both need equipment equal to the game to score well. I have always preferred offhand but that does not mean I don't enjoy the bench. I would hate to see this game go to just bench shooting. Schuetzen was mainly offhand and I hope that we see that last well beyond our time.

I prefer offhand too.  At least there is justification for missing the center  Grin

I hope the sport continues too.  20 years ago I could see there would be a significant down trend by the time I retired.  Instead of a full line, today we don'tget enough participation to reserve the range for the match.  General membership is allowed to interfere with the match conditions.   Undecided

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Aug 7th, 2017 at 11:49am
Print Post  
westerner wrote on Aug 7th, 2017 at 12:51am:
Bev Pinney could beat most of those BR scores, without a trigger finger.   Sad

Joe.

Speaking of Bev, I will be shooting with him this weekend at the CBA Regional Match in Springfield. It will be the first time since the 90's. And the first time I've shot at McGowen, since then, too. I'm very much looking forward to it. Lots of good memorys at that range. The only thing that would make it better, is if Joe and Bob would be there. Most everyone else is dead now Sad

For all the Pope fans, I've always though Pope had the right idea, when he said (paraphased) "stand on your feet, and shoot like a man".

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

AZshot
Junior Forum Member

Reply #18 - Aug 7th, 2017 at 1:02pm
Print Post  
I've always believed that a "good shot" is someone that can shoot offhand.  I can and do teach people to shoot off a bench, and they are shooting impressive groups in just a few minutes.  Not so offhand, rifle or pistol.  It takes months and many range trips. 

There is a practicality to off hand.  When you are hunting and that elk pops over the ridge, looking at you, you have about 5 seconds to lift your rifle and shoot.  Too many "hunters" today are actually long range snipers, using a bipod or prone rest, and lofting a Lapula round 700 yards to a distant animal in the next county.  That's not "a good shot."  That's "a good rifle/round/laser rangefinder.

So too the military.  When a Japanese or German in a pillbox opens up with a machine gun at your squad, a "good shot" can lift his rifle and hit the enemy in a couple seconds.  Or on patrol in the woods, desert, urban environments. 

When I go to our very crowded range, I'm the only one shooting offhand, out of about 30 benches.  Everyone else is bedded down on a bench, shooting scoped black rifles, at about 25 yards.  It's crazy.  If they had to hunt or be in a war, wind doping skills are not as important as a steady hold and fast reflexes.
« Last Edit: Aug 7th, 2017 at 1:43pm by AZshot »  

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Aug 7th, 2017 at 1:24pm
Print Post  
When my youngest daughter was about twelve, she asked me if she could shoot in the .22 BR match at Tacoma. Set her up on a bench, gave her some instructions. She shot a 247 winning the match and beating Bob Vail by one center.  Yeah, that BR is real tough, lol.

Did nearly the same thing with my daughter in law a couple years ago at Tacoma. She shot a perfect score. Was her first match. Tough, really tough out there!

Well, okay, sometimes it's really tough when the wind conditions are against you. So I agree with bnice, "to each his own".

Joe.
« Last Edit: Aug 7th, 2017 at 1:31pm by westerner »  

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Aug 7th, 2017 at 1:37pm
Print Post  
AZshot wrote on Aug 7th, 2017 at 1:02pm:
Too many "hunters" today are actually long range snipers, using a bipod or prone rest, and lofting a Lapula round 700 yards to a distant animal in the next county.  That's not "a good shot."  That's "a good rifle/round/laser rangefinder.

True, but better a well-placed shot however it's done, than another gut-shot victim.  Have heard that many guides encourage the use of bipods to spare themselves the drudgery of tracking wounded game.

IP Logged

AZshot
Junior Forum Member

Reply #21 - Aug 7th, 2017 at 1:56pm
Print Post  
Oh yeah, if the is time, I use a rest of some sort.  But with my type of hunting, there is usually not much time.  My last elk appeared over a hill about 80 yards away, broadside between some aspen.  But looking at me.  I had a few seconds to make the shot.  Single shot rifle too.

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

Mike Echo Oscar Whiskey

Reply #22 - Aug 7th, 2017 at 2:19pm
Print Post  
I shot this last match standing up and most of the one prior. 

When I hunt, I do mostly from a rest - prairie dogs or in my back yard (with air rifle) ground hogs.

But the serious threat to me are skunks.  First shot kill is mandatory (hence my love for single shots).  Much safer to trap them.

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Aug 7th, 2017 at 4:22pm
Print Post  
Cat_Whisperer wrote on Aug 7th, 2017 at 2:19pm:
Much safer to trap them.

Or leave them alone.

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

Mike Echo Oscar Whiskey

Reply #24 - Aug 7th, 2017 at 4:32pm
Print Post  
Redsetter wrote on Aug 7th, 2017 at 4:22pm:
Cat_Whisperer wrote on Aug 7th, 2017 at 2:19pm:
Much safer to trap them.

Or leave them alone.

I'd like to.  BUT with RABIES one deals with the issue rather than take the risk.

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
assra #9885
IP Logged

Jeff_Schultz
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #25 - Aug 7th, 2017 at 5:39pm
Print Post  
  So where is the best place to shoot a skunk to minimize odor?

"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo
"The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #26 - Aug 7th, 2017 at 5:44pm
Print Post  
On the other side of the river....?

Joe.

IP Logged

Jeff_Schultz
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #27 - Aug 7th, 2017 at 5:51pm
Print Post  
To clarify; I'm asking about bullet placement.

"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo
"The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #28 - Aug 7th, 2017 at 7:07pm
Print Post  
I still think it's the other side of the river, no matter where the bullet hits.

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

Mike Echo Oscar Whiskey

Reply #29 - Aug 7th, 2017 at 7:24pm
Print Post  
Jeff_Schultz wrote on Aug 7th, 2017 at 5:51pm:
To clarify; I'm asking about bullet placement.

Head shot.  (Hmmmmm.  Would make a good KING target.)

A friend uses a 20ga - works perfectly.

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
assra #9885
IP Logged

bnice
Oldtimer

Reply #30 - Aug 7th, 2017 at 8:39pm
Print Post  
YEP HEAD SHOT BUT THEY STILL STINK!

IP Logged

desert-dude
Senior Forum Member

Reply #31 - Aug 10th, 2017 at 11:23am
Print Post  
Indeed! Shotgun seems to work very well. However, in general I use the .22.
Had to shoot one that had wandered into the basement during the night.
Rather dicey.

Mercaptans are interesting beasties. Level makes a difference. At very low levels
they contribute to flavor in beer, coffee, etc. At high levels they are best kept across
the river and downwind.

IP Logged

J Louis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #32 - Aug 19th, 2017 at 3:10pm
Print Post  
Bev did indeed shot very well at the CBA Regional event Frank just attended. Surprised there were not many attending the plainbase class for it to be a little more competitive but it must just be a sign of the times I would guess unfortunatly. Emerald Empire used to get a good turn out just for their monthly matches and at one time had some of the best in that class and a few still hold current National records.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

JLouis

IP Logged

Wapiti

Reply #33 - Aug 23rd, 2017 at 2:40pm
Print Post  
The late Neal Rice was very curious about the Standard American Target vs. the ISSA standard and years ago made an overlay to compare scores.
Using the results of a 100 shot offhand match he scored the top four shooters results (above 2100).
Shooter 1-2240 ISSA, 871 American, 3 targets in the 90's-98,91,90.
Shooter 2- 2130 ISSA, 824 American, highs-88,86,85.
Shooter 3- 2126 ISSA, 814 American, highs-95,88,83.
Shooter 4- 2100 ISSA, 808 American, highs-91,85,82.

I think that in the Schuetzen circles Jim Feren and Earl Hines will stand among the GREAT ALL-TIME SHOOTERS! Smiley

IP Logged

Gard72977
Junior Forum Member

Reply #34 - Aug 27th, 2017 at 11:19am
Print Post  
I have enjoyed reading this thread. Im new to this board and have an outsider view of whats going on in competitive shooting.

I would love to have a Schuetzen rifle and I will buy one. Earlier this year i was in the market for one. I ended up spending my money for guns and equipment that I can compete with local.

Offhand is now almost obsolete in my area. With all the matches for Precision Rifle, 2 gun, 3 gun, and pistol caliber carbine in USPSA. I am the only one in my circle that cares anything for offhand shooting. Everyone wants to compete in action shooting sports.

I could not justify 4k+ for a gun that I could not compete with. I ended up buying a high end scope for 2 gun and a Anschutz 1712 setup for small bore sillhouete. I chose to compete in sillhouette because it is an offhand sport.

Im in Mississippi. We just dont have intrest in our clubs for offhand competition. Its a catch 22. No matches so no reason.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #35 - Aug 27th, 2017 at 7:59pm
Print Post  
Gard72977, I believe that is why the automobile was invented.   Cry  While we have them locally, the majority of the burden falls on a certain individual.   We have a history of these matches,  but interest is waning. If you schedule a match, you will probably draw a few like minded shooters from the surrounding areas.  Most seriously interested shooters will lend a hand making the match run smoothly.    Good luck.

IP Logged

bnice
Oldtimer

Reply #36 - Aug 28th, 2017 at 8:54am
Print Post  
I'm so glad our monthly scheduled main matches are holding to tradition and are offhand. We usually have 20-30 shooters. Yes you see people drop off but a few new come along. I think some have just placed so much focus on bench that it's swayed the direction. If you look at this forum over the last few years 95% of what you see is about bench. Like they say if it was easy everybody would be doing it. Jmo

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #37 - Aug 28th, 2017 at 7:40pm
Print Post  
Between my club Cavalier R&P and the Fairfax gun club we have 4 offhand single shot matches a month. Two Rimfire Two CF.  At Cavalier firing line capacity RF is 32 CF 36. We have filled the line at times and rarely have less than 25 shooters.  It's not Schuetzen as defined by ASSRA. Squaded matches shoulder to shoulder no re-entry's.  9 am sight in match over by noon most of the time. Rain or shine cold or hot 12 months a year. Regular schudle fairly short time is a big advantage turn out .

Wide range of ages plenty of old guys like me.  If you can handle the grocery store you can shoot offhand rifles. NRA Lever Silhouette lot of older shooters too.  I shot a Shotgun Sporting Clays Tournement Sunday with SXS guns.  Youngest in my squad, I will be 70 next week. Some of the best shots are over 65. 100 shot 15 station tournement that takes a lot of walking, some do use carts.

Almost anybody that wants to shoot standing can.

Boats.

IP Logged

bnice
Oldtimer

Reply #38 - Aug 29th, 2017 at 1:21pm
Print Post  
Great to hear Boats! Plenty of Highpower shooters out there to be converted. Plus Silhoette myself I would much rather shoot offhand then positions anymore.

IP Logged

Gard72977
Junior Forum Member

Reply #39 - Aug 31st, 2017 at 10:45pm
Print Post  
I think there is still a lot of talanted shooters. There are so many shooting sports that compete for participation. Tactical is trendy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Send TopicPrint