Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Just Got an Awesome Schuetzen Rifle - Rare Jap (Read 2145 times)
marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: Just Got an Awesome Schuetzen Rifle - Rare Jap
Reply #15 - Aug 12th, 2017 at 9:10pm
Print Post  
Smoke wrote on Aug 12th, 2017 at 12:07pm:
This is a working man's 300 meter free rifle.   My shooting partner has one built on a Swiss K-31 action by Hammerli.  The Swiss rifles were available in 65x55, .308 Win and 7.5 Swiss.

While the workmanship is a lot nicer on the Swiss rifles, the layout is exactly the same as this Arisaka: swiss butt, palm rest, double-set triggers, thumbhole stock, micrometer sights, and a front sling swivel.

The photo here is not of my friend's rifle, but essentially the same.

That Hammerli is a gorgeous gun, and one I'd gladly own and shoot!

I have an old Stevens rifle I made into a home built "free rifle" when I was in high school. I got the Stevens bolt action .22 for fixing a guy's motorcycle, and I wanted a target rifle badly, but had no funds for one.
I removed the stock and got a piece of 3/4" black pipe and turned it to the length of the barrel. I had to ream the inside on the receiver end to allow it to butt up to the action. I then made small wood wedges to hold the sleeved pipe centered at the muzzle, and poured the area between the barrel and the sleeve with Acraglass. Once it set I removed the wedges, and topped it off with more Acraglass.
Then I dissected the stock and added wood to make a larger forearm, and added to the buttstock to make it into a pistol grip, and a higher cheekpiece. Added an adjustable buttplate that was  used Freeland with hooked offhand and benchrest plates. Painted the stock satin black, and polished out the barrel sleeve and it blued up very nicely. Still one of the best looking parts of the gun is the 1.125" "bull barrel" that it became.
Mounted an old Weaver K3-9x scope after D&T for scope bases.
I worked the trigger and sear over to get a crisp release, and lighter pull. The gun looked cool when I was 16 years old, and shot very nicely. I still own it today, and I chuckle when I look at it. No doubt about it's home gunsmithed origins, and by someone with very limited talents. But I'll never sell it, as it's given me lots of enjoyment. I'll also never show it to anyone but my kids, just so they saw how desperate I was to own something neat when I was broke! Smiley

Vall
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

buckstix
Junior Forum Member

GRAMPA SCHUETZEN

Reply #16 - Aug 12th, 2017 at 9:13pm
Print Post  
Jeff_Schultz wrote on Aug 12th, 2017 at 5:42pm:
  This style of rifle is not attractive to me; in fact, it borders on hideous, ...

Yes, it is a VERY unique rifle to say the least.  I now believe it was intended as a Free Rifle and not a Schuetzen rifle as I first thought.

I'll be taking it to the range tomorrow to give it a test run.  I'll post the targets here.

"You never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early"
WWWAIM  
IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

Mike Echo Oscar Whiskey

Reply #17 - Aug 12th, 2017 at 9:53pm
Print Post  
Jeff_Schultz wrote on Aug 12th, 2017 at 5:42pm:
  This style of rifle is not attractive to me; in fact, it borders on hideous, (to me).
It was made as a tool to win matches, no matter what it looked like.
  If Chuck Blender ever had an attractive rifle, I've never seen it; but, he sure could shoot with the thing he brought!

Good perspective!  as Moody Holler has said: you can either look good or shoot good ....

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

oldman46
Junior Forum Member

Reply #18 - Aug 12th, 2017 at 10:59pm
Print Post  
Someone really did a lot of work on that rifle. Did what they wanted to get what they either needed or wanted. For a good heavy cast bullet in that .312 bore try Lyman's 314299 which was originally designed for the 303 British. I shoot that same bullet sized to .3135 in a Finnish Model 27 Moisin Nagant with a .3115 bore and it does shoot. I use Javelina lube and IMR 4759 both of which are no longer made. But you should be able to find a powder/lube combination that will work for you. Have fun as that is what it is all about. Frank

IP Logged

Ray_Newman

Reply #19 - Aug 12th, 2017 at 11:02pm
Print Post  
Gents: that is not a Harlow rifle!

There are no signs of his best known trademark  -- Stilson Pipe Wrench stamps -- on either the barrel or receiver!

Also there are no marks from his two earlier and lesser know trademarks-- Channel Locks and Vise Grip Locking Pliers.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

Mike Echo Oscar Whiskey

Reply #20 - Aug 13th, 2017 at 6:49am
Print Post  
Ray_Newman wrote on Aug 12th, 2017 at 11:02pm:
Gents: that is not a Harlow rifle!

There are no signs of his best known trademark  -- Stilson Pipe Wrench stamps -- on either the barrel or receiver!

Also there are no marks from his two earlier and lesser know trademarks-- Channel Locks and Vise Grip Locking Pliers.

but is it signed not-Harlow?  That would be definitive evidence.

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
assra #9885
IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #21 - Aug 13th, 2017 at 2:13pm
Print Post  
I do agree with some folks who have pointed out the harsh comments. It's a little mean to put down a guy's gun when he posts pictures here to show us what he found, and seems happy with it.
May not be our cup of tea, but better to not say anything, than make mean comments.

Vall

IP Logged

ballardhepburnmich
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #22 - Aug 13th, 2017 at 11:03pm
Print Post  
I second that.
L

IP Logged

ballardhepburnmich
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #23 - Aug 13th, 2017 at 11:03pm
Print Post  
I second that.
Lee

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #24 - Aug 14th, 2017 at 12:11am
Print Post  
I really don't see them as being especially mean-spirited.

all of us have developed tastes and preferences in action types, caliber's, stock design, optics, fit and finish.   

I suspect that the OP who has been around this old racetrack more than a time or two himself knew that his photos and specs would get exactly the reactions they did---and got a kick out of them. Wink

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #25 - Aug 14th, 2017 at 9:31am
Print Post  
QuestionableMaynard8130 wrote on Aug 14th, 2017 at 12:11am:

all of us have developed tastes and preferences in action types, caliber's, stock design, optics, fit and finish.   

I suspect that the OP who has been around this old racetrack more than a time or two himself knew that his photos and specs would get exactly the reactions they did---and got a kick out of them. Wink

Can't say as I agree totally. References to "Harlow" are not made because someone likes a different style gun, or prefers traditional single shots vs. bolt actions.
The OP may be taking it well, but I still see no reason to dish it out.

Vall

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

Mike Echo Oscar Whiskey

Reply #26 - Aug 14th, 2017 at 10:07am
Print Post  
QuestionableMaynard8130 wrote on Aug 14th, 2017 at 12:11am:

I wholeheartedly agree.  We have here a culture that segregates "Original" calibers and styles from all others. 

One of the prime factors of importance is, however, how it shoots.   

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
assra #9885
IP Logged

buckstix
Junior Forum Member

GRAMPA SCHUETZEN

Reply #27 - Aug 14th, 2017 at 10:52am
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Aug 13th, 2017 at 2:13pm:
I do agree with some folks who have pointed out the harsh comments. It's a little mean to put down a guy's gun when he posts pictures here to show us what he found, and seems happy with it.
May not be our cup of tea, but better to not say anything, than make mean comments.

Hello marlinguy,

Thanks for the reply.

Well, I do think some of the comments are very mean-spirited!

Not everyone can afford an expensive competition rifle or the components to build one.  This is an example of what a creative man built for himself, with what he had available to him.

I put my 20x Programmer on top, and took it for a test run.  The trigger is awesome.  I'm pleased.

"You never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early"
WWWAIM  
IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Happiness is a warm gun.
J.Lennon

Reply #28 - Aug 14th, 2017 at 10:55am
Print Post  
Unique rifle and great target!
illegitimi non carborundum
Aaron

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence.

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Oldtimer

Reply #29 - Aug 14th, 2017 at 11:10am
Print Post  
Somebody put his heart&soul, and a lot of time, into that build, and what he could afford in cash money.  It was the only way he could have had such a rifle to shoot.  I've been there myself, over and over.

There but for the grace of our Gun Funds go most of the rest of us.  The guys who "are building" a new rifle by sending directions and funds to a professional gunsmith might try it themselves for a change.  The difference between the ability to appreciate that je ne sais quoi by fondling somebody else's fine workmanship and the ability to achieve it yourself are humbling, to say the least.

Looking forward to how it shoots.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint