Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Need opinions on rebluing or not (Read 1570 times)
Double D

Need opinions on rebluing or not
Aug 14th, 2017 at 6:31pm
Print Post  
Back in the good old days (when rifles were cheaper) I bought a Rem.Hep. B Match.  The wood and DST action were nice but the barrel was rust freckled and the bore was only fair.  Fortunately, when I put on a heavy 40-50 S.St. to shoot in ASSRA Buffalo Matches, I kept the original barrel. I am relining the barrel back to 38-55. Now the opinion area: do I polish and rust blue the barrel or do I leave the outside alone.       Thanks,   Dave

IP Logged

Ol_Deuce
Senior Forum Member

Re: Need opinions on rebluing or not
Reply #1 - Aug 14th, 2017 at 7:17pm
Print Post  
Double D wrote on Aug 14th, 2017 at 6:31pm:
Back in the good old days (when rifles were cheaper) I bought a Rem.Hep. B Match.  The wood and DST action were nice but the barrel was rust freckled and the bore was only fair.  Fortunately, when I put on a heavy 40-50 S.St. to shoot in ASSRA Buffalo Matches, I kept the original barrel. I am relining the barrel back to 38-55. Now the opinion area: do I polish and rust blue the barrel or do I leave the outside alone.       Thanks,   Dave

Dave  How does the whole gun look?????   does the wood kinda blend in with the overall look of the Gun????

OL Deuce

Do The Best With What You Got !!!

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Aug 14th, 2017 at 8:01pm
Print Post  
Ol_Deuce wrote on Aug 14th, 2017 at 7:17pm:
Dave  How does the whole gun look?????   does the wood kinda blend in with the overall look of the Gun????

OL Deuce

Exactly; if the receiver & wood are nice enough that there wouldn't be a glaring contrast between them and the brl, I'd do it, but then also use steel wool on the reblued brl to minimize its "newness."

IP Logged

J Louis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Aug 14th, 2017 at 8:21pm
Print Post  
If you were to go that route I personaly think rust bluing would be the wiser choice as well.

JLouis

IP Logged

Double D

Reply #4 - Aug 14th, 2017 at 8:46pm
Print Post  
The wood, prong buttplate, and action look better than the barrel and I will definitely rust blue if I blue it. The steel wool afterwards is a good idea.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #5 - Aug 15th, 2017 at 10:39am
Print Post  
You couldn't do anything but rust blue on a relined barrel anyway. Any hot blue process would release the liner and ruin it.
But I agree that bluing it would be my choice once it's relined. It might as well look good after it gets a good bore!

Vall
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Aug 15th, 2017 at 1:21pm
Print Post  
Do whatcha wanna do.  It's already a shooter, not a collector's item.  Rust bluing on a relined barrel to match the wood finish better will add value to a shooter.

IP Logged

Double D

Reply #7 - Aug 15th, 2017 at 2:47pm
Print Post  
Vall- I was thinking about drilling for the liner , rust bluing, and then putting in the liner, but you are right, if I install the liner before I blue then I can crown and chamber while it is still in the white and then repolish if necessary.                                                     Bent Ramrod- Thanks for the nudge in the right direction.  I appreciate the ideas and opinions.  I guess that is why we have forums.      Dave.

IP Logged

craigd
Oldtimer

Reply #8 - Aug 15th, 2017 at 3:07pm
Print Post  
What does a fair bore mean? If it were me, I'd think long and hard before taking steel wool to an antique rifle finish. If the rest of the rifle is untouched, I'd try a decent cleaning bore and see how the original shoots. If it shoots okay, then I'd save it and line something else or get a different barrel to shoot. Sorry about drifting in a different direction.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #9 - Aug 15th, 2017 at 10:29pm
Print Post  
Craig, I think that's excellent advice, if the bore is shootable. I sold a Rolling Block to a friend and told him it would need relining, as the bore looked bad. Before I sent it to him I decided to give it my best shot at deep cleaning it, and attempted to remove any lead in the bore. The result was a pretty nice bore after removing shards of lead with a tight "leadaway" patch.
When he got the gun he sent me a message, and asked why I thought it needed a reline? He never relined it.

Vall
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Aug 15th, 2017 at 10:45pm
Print Post  
I had a 45-70 Numrich barrel looked like a railroad bed inside but shot very well.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

Double D

Reply #11 - Aug 16th, 2017 at 9:52am
Print Post  
Vall- I believe it is too rough but I'll give it a try.  Let you know. Dave

IP Logged

craigd
Oldtimer

Reply #12 - Aug 16th, 2017 at 3:08pm
Print Post  
I'm perfectly fine with what ever choices someone makes for their own stuff. I keep thinking back to your original description, a Match B with nice wood, dst action and freckling on the barrel. If the bore is a disaster, then oh well. But, for me, if the bore cleaned up some and it shot mediocre fourish inch groups at a hundred yards, I'd save it. It may be better. Maybe, the 40 barrel could be lined instead. Hopefully, the original forearm is still available and the only extra step or expense would be to machine the barrel down to the original contour.

Only thoughts DD, no argument here. I'm no collector purist, just coming from the point of view that my eye doesn't see improvement if a barrel has changes and the rest of the rifle is a decent hundred years old. Here's hoping it works out just right for how you want it to.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Aug 16th, 2017 at 4:17pm
Print Post  
It's all opinion and everybody is entitled to their own. I avoid most re-blues. So does the general market if you want to re-sell.

In a weak moment I bought a FN 16 G Hammer Shotgun about 1911 vintage that had been "Restored" with a bright blue re-blue.  Then bought a proper American Hammer 16 to replace it.  That dog sat for sale for a long time before a hunter that likes FN Auto Shotguns bought it from me for 75 % of what I paid. Real nice gun too, except for the re-blue job.

Give you another example, I have a S&W M 1905 Target in very good condition on sale at a on line consignment dealer. It was factory re-blued, Serial number has the * beside it which most S&W collectors consider factory reblue markings. He has it listed for half the price of the same gun also listed on his web site, not in Target configuration, fixed sights,  and my re-blue still has not sold. Should say I bought it 50 % of non re-blue value and it's listed for a bit more than I have in the gun.

Offends your eye ? wear dark glasses when you shoot, don't spend money to loose money re-bluing

Boats

IP Logged

40_Rod
ASSRA Journal Editor

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #14 - Aug 17th, 2017 at 8:40am
Print Post  
I'd ruble, but with a nice rust blue. Don't take it to some local guy and let them hot dip it. Take your time and find someone who can do a job that belongs on the gun.

40 Rod

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint