Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic need your assistance (Read 545 times)
steve lutz

need your assistance
Aug 18th, 2017 at 7:12pm
Print Post  
I have several guns that were owned /made by my grandfather who was a gunsmith.  I will be selling most of them and have a good idea of the model and price via blue book for most of them.  I am having difficulty with two of them and it could very well be that they were "built" by him.  the first is a model that I believe is close to a Stevens 417 1/2 Walnut hill.  but as you will see it has a metal butt plate and a metal "pistol grip" as well as a cheek plate.  I have not seen these in any catalogue.  The second I have no idea.  I'm pretty sure it is a custom build with a P.O Ackley barrel for a 22 hornet improved.  Once I figure out exactly what I have I will try to ascertain their value.  Thanks for your help

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: need your assistance
Reply #1 - Aug 18th, 2017 at 8:00pm
Print Post  
The brl. (maybe--is it marked?) & rcvr. are the only things original on the first one.  Fore-arm has been replaced on the 44-1/2, but the back half is factory.  (Quite a valuable scope on the 2nd one.)

IP Logged

steve lutz

Reply #2 - Aug 18th, 2017 at 9:07pm
Print Post  
Yes the barrel is original see photo on the first on.  Yes I know the scope is valuable on the second one not sure about the first one.  These guns are interesting and shoot well as I have fired a few rounds through both of them.  Now comes the interesting part.  It hard to believe that my grandfather machined the metal parts on the first one but if there was never a custom version like this then I guess he "made" the gun himself.  I guess he took a 417 1/2 and made the modifications.  He was an avid varmint hunter so maybe he did this to improve accuracy.  The second gum was probably modified for the same reason the forearm on the 44 1/2 was relatively "thin" so he probably used this one to give the gun better balance.  I know he had Ackley make the barrel for him as I have the correspondence.  The heavy barrel, improved cartridge and the hand loads my grandfather reloaded made this very accurate. I had someone a long time ago offer me a lot of money for the Ackley gun.   He never saw one on a gun like this and he was an avid collector of anything Ackley

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Aug 18th, 2017 at 10:31pm
Print Post  
steve lutz wrote on Aug 18th, 2017 at 9:07pm:
Yes I know the scope is valuable on the second one not sure about the first one.

A Winchester ".22 scope" worth about $250 I'd guess.

IP Logged

steve lutz

Reply #4 - Aug 18th, 2017 at 10:50pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the assistance.  I put the value of the scope on the Ackley around 350. 250 seems about right for the Winchester I was surprised at the prices for the Winchester scopes.  I knew about Fecklers and Unertl but saw some crazy prices for Winchester scopes.  One last question.  I assume the value of the 2 guns is what someone will pay for a custom gun made with valuable parts but not original.  For example you have a 44 1/2 with a P.O Ackley barrel (rifling looks near mint) and some Fore Arm that looks nice but is not original.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Aug 19th, 2017 at 9:23am
Print Post  
steve lutz wrote on Aug 18th, 2017 at 10:50pm:
I put the value of the scope on the Ackley around 350.

Although those short, low-power, Fecker scopes (primarily intended to be mounted on bolt-action receivers) won't bring as much as the high-powers, they're quite scarce, and I'd be surprised if it sold for so little on ebay.  Mounts alone are worth $350.

If you want to get a "crazy price" on ebay for the Winchester, just call it a "sniper-scope."  Dopes paying those crazy prices probably won't bother to check it out.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint